HybridZ

someone snooping under my car.

nbesheer

Okay so I went to the beach yesterday and left my car at a friends and he sister said that she saw someone under my car but didn't know if it was me or not so she just left it alone. Anyways I did a quick look through under my car, all my brake lines are good, doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the car. and I didn't see a bombs. so what should I look for ?

Hmm, I also had the same amount of gas too. No alarm, but how hard is it to wire a switch up to my fuel pump to cut it off. I'm sure there is a thread and Ill search for it when I get home from work. This is puzzling and I'm probably going to buy those gorilla lug locks for my wheels, one of those battery cut off key things too.

Why are you assuming there was a malicious intent? If they wanted your car, or wheels, or some part from it, they probably would have just taken it.

I know I've looked under other peoples car's before...and I had no intention of messing with it or taking anything from it.

ive done it to.. i was at an excotic car show in orlado a couple months ago and there was a 240z sitting on the side of the road and i of coarse went over to look at and i got down on my hands and knees and looked at the rockers and under the car to see if it was rusted out and to see how nice it was lol i got some looks from some people but what ever... my friends thought it was funny that i paid more attention to the zed then all the exotics that cost a billion times more

His sister went out to the car that was parked in front of it and assumed that it was me so. who ever was under there probably thought it best to leave. But I do understand your point of checking out cars, it's just got me a bit worried since I had to remove my lug locks and my ignition cut off switch broke :(

Happened to me too!

I was invited to a show in Ft. Meyers, Florida a while back. The car was on an open trailer in the parking lot of the hotel. I checked in went up to my room, and opened the curtains. There was this big tall guy looking under the car. I watched him from the room for a while, didn't seem to be messing with anything, just looking.

Meet the guy the next day at the show. It was Buddy Baker.

I have a switch on my fuel pump ground circuit. I live in Arizona....alarm doesn't mean $hit. I have the switch hidden and makes me feel cozy. Also just to let you know ppl will do anything. My friend is serving some time in jail on a BS charge. He is there nights and weekends so he can still work and goto school. Left his key on his bag next to his bunck which goes to his Audi S4. Next day went out to goto work....car gone...from a jail parking lot...

This is why I have mirrors on the top of my sneakers!

To check out rusty rocker panels on Z's at shows without getting all grimy...

If only that excuse about shoe-mirrors worked in grade 8 when my French teacher used to stand in front of my desk.

:-(

I've had it happen...

We were at a rest area on the highway and some guys with a Z31 and a Z32 pulled in. While I was talking to the dad with the Z32 the Z31 kid was wondering how I got my old Z so "slammed" to the ground. LOL

With 26" tall tires and 4" of ground clearance it is hard to see my coilovers under there.

I actualy incurage people to look under my car...

S1010051.jpg

If I had the same concern that you stated in the begining of this thread I would put the car in the air and take a look at aeverything under the car. I have had (many many years ago) someone cut my brake lines for me and after that did not work he got under the hood and modified my engine (cost me a rebuild).

As far as cut out and kill switches are concerned I think it is a good idea and I use them. I believe that the best place to "hide" the switches are in plain sight... you should just disguise them so they do not look like cut out and kill switches. As an example of what I am talking about, I have a friend who's cigerette lighter is the kill switch, if the lighter is not pushed in (as if to heat the coils) the starting circuit is broken and the vehicle will not start. Use your imagination and come up with a good disguise for your switches and get an alarm to make some noise as well, even if no goes out to see what is going on it is hard to concentrate with that alarm going off in your ear. Oh yea you should IMO put the alarm horn inside the car where it will be hard to reach but make lots of noise in the car.

Dragonfly

The best kill switch I ever saw was sold in the early 90's by a company called "Counterpoint" out of Sand Diego. They had a latching relay that interrupted whatever you liked: Fuel Pump, Ignition Power, Starter Enable...they recommended using two relays one for fuel one for cranking that way someone didn't kill your battery in the cold.

Anyway, the thing was a VERY compact box, and had some very simple counters on the circuitboard---but the KILLER part of the whole system was the actual switch: It was a touch-style membrane switch. You could stick it under uphoulstery, slip it in between the vinyl on the upper portion of your door skins on the S30, wherever! It had several features for safetey, like if the button was pressed when the key was on and engine running it would shut off the car after 45 seconds---this was a 'carjack escape' feature---you got out of the car, pressing the spot and the guy jumped in and took off...only to have the car die: away from you, and usually this would result in him bailing and running. If you forgot the switch, it would passively arm 30-45 seconds after the car was shut off automatically. No matter what, when you got in you had to touch that switch or the car just would not go!

It took pinpoint pressure to actuate the switch, and you got an audible signal that it activated. Just pushing with the palm of your hand would not to it, neither would the edge of your hand.

I installed one on my wife's Corvair, and it coufounded her when I said "you need a special touch with her..." and I squeezed the dashpad then turned the key and it started! "What did you do to my car?" LOL

Anyway, I haven't been able to find them since---I think they went out of business. I have ONE kit left, and have often thought about having the potting compound taken out of the box, and reverse engineering the device. It IMO was the best "Kill Switch" ever made.

Plain sight is a good camoflage, but 'no special point whatsoever' is even better!

I have used the Radio Rocker Switch using a latching relay for intitializing the kill function---after Counterpoint turned me on to latching relays that wont change state till energized, it changed the way I did the kill switch thing! Kind of like the Overdrive Switch in the Ford Trucks on the shift column...supplies the power momentarily for gating of a transistor to trigger the relay, or directly to the relay.