HybridZ

Wheel Show! Post your pics of you wheels

spring rates. and pre loads. cutting your springs does not net the same results as adjustable coilovers.

No it doesn't, but the change in ride height certainly does, in relation to the rest of the suspension.

Like I said cutting springs will increase the spring rate, and many people over the years have done well with cutting springs.

The only difference between cut or shorter static springs and the coil overs is the fact that coil overs are easily adjustable for height, which also changes the corner loading, which many people don't realize.

Spring rates can be selected in each design. Coil overs can be set up with many different spring rates, same goes for static height springs.

If you think for an instant that just because a coil over sleeve and spring were used, instead of a static spring that the rest of the suspension will be affected any differently, you'll be sorrily mistaken.

I'm currently riding 1" lower than stock height, and haven't noticed any increase in any bumpsteer, probably because Nissan designed the suspension that when it moved to that alignment (being 1" more compressed), that it would still react predictably, and within their design.

I may try some spacers to see if there is any benefit since I have been offered a set pretty cheap, but I just can't see the "need" for them, in looking at the over all system.

I too have a set of spacers not yet instaaled, I'll wait for your update on that...

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I would throw this up, everyone has probably seen my 280ZXT with the SSR Longchamp XR-4s. That and like 3 other cars have been assimilated into my 70 240Z, and with that, the wheels now reside on it.

For those that don't remember, they are 15x9.5/10 -33/-40.

Heres my surely moving along work in progress with its donated feets:

2011-09-05112625.jpg

2011-09-05112515.jpg

Figured I would throw this up, everyone has probably seen my 280ZXT with the SSR Longchamp XR-4s. That and like 3 other cars have been assimilated into my 70 240Z, and with that, the wheels now reside on it.

OMG! wow, this is a perfect wheel set for an s30z! Where did you find some longchamps with such a great offset? These are already pretty rare and to find them with this offset is probably something difficult! You lucky guy :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@vilian4life Where did you get your leds? I have been looking for something like that for an idea I have. Goo looking z.

They are out of an Audi. I think it was the S5. It ws a nightmare to get both the running lights (clear) and the turn signals (amber) to work correctly. I am pleased with how they came out though.

Edited by Villain4Life

Perfect wheels for a s30z, it gonna looks so right when your project will be done

Edited by 280z"Vador"

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/knightofthernd5/2011-09-05112625.jpg[/img

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/knightofthernd5/2011-09-05112515.jpg[/img

Absolutely love these wheels!

What size tires are you running?

What's your current suspension set-up?

...Like I said cutting springs will increase the spring rate...

I didn't see this before, but I want to make sure that people don't read this without knowing that it is 100% completely incorrect.

Cutting a spring will give a shorter spring with the same rate as the spring that it was cut from (assuming linear and not progressive springs).

Here's a little educational reading on spring rates for anyone that is interested.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Edited by cockerstar

I didn't see this before, but I want to make sure that people don't read this without knowing that it is 100% completely incorrect.

Cutting a spring will give a shorter spring with the same rate as the spring that it was cut from (assuming linear and not progressive springs).

Here's a little educational reading on spring rates for anyone that is interested.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Actually, he is 100% right. This has nothing to do with Hooke's Law. Cutting a coil spring will increase its spring rate, k, since it changes the spring's properties. Whether it's a linear or progressive spring doesn't matter. Decreasing the amount of coils increases the spring rate, as show by the spring constant equation:

http://engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc_k.htm

Edited by Leon

Actually, he is 100% right. This has nothing to do with Hooke's Law. Cutting a coil spring will increase its spring rate, k, since it changes the spring's properties. Whether it's a linear or progressive spring doesn't matter. Decreasing the amount of coils increases the spring rate, as show by the spring constant equation:

http://engineersedge...comp_calc_k.htm

Cutting the coils spring does indeed change the spring rate. But, what's that got to do with pictures of wheels?