HybridZ

OK, who wants a laugh?

auxilary

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That level of intellect is one of the biggest things that turned me off of ever owning a Honda car, just due to getting lumped in with them!

Even though she owned a stock honda civic, a friend of mine kept getting kids bugging her to race. Finally, she offloaded the car after it got broken into, and then stolen and stripped. Too many idiots.

Another friend's younger brother bought a Honda S2000, which I would call the second fastest Honda sports car built. His take on it, even as an owner, was that it had no torque to speak of, finally earning it the license plate "NOTORQE".

Personally, given the keys and a windy road, I found that I couldn't stand it's engine behavior. I much preferred the 300ft/lb and 300hp that I had in the Subaru.

Who the hell is the guy who registered over there as Turboboost and posted this?

Stroke is the distance the piston travels up and down the cylinder. Bore is the actual width of the cylinder. Typically speaking, engines with greater strokes than bores will typically rev low and create great amounts of torque. Engines with a larger bore than stroke will rev higher, and create big peak amounts of horsepower compared to the torque. Another factor that affects torque is the engine design. I-6's and V8's both generally create more torque than 4 cylinder designs. Case in point, my Nissan L28 (Inline-6) engine creates roughly about 145 hp, yet creates 155 ft-lbs.

In conclusion, V-tec will never overcome the smooth powerband of a V8. I'm not trying to be a complete ******* here (which I hope I haven't) yet I wish to explain some facts to you Honda boys.

From HybridZ with love,

Turboboost

Are you looking for a pat on the back from all your HybridZ buddies? Oh wow good job....Even if you are right, you shouldnt go around posting and saying "from HybridZ". Im sure a lot of people here would like the sites image to remain high in the automotive world and not dragged into retarded discussions like that.

The problem with them is that they are only used to front wheel drive. And therefor have too limit the amount of torque the engine puts out. The only option left is power in the upper rpms.

The statment about the F1 car is also pretty funny. I think a F1 team would love to be allowed a bigger dicplacement engine. Then they could get the rpms down and produce the same power plus better reliability. But the are limited to, what was it, 2.4 liters?

personally I don't like high reving engines very much, but I must admit that my 1988 CRX with it's 1.6 liter engine was not slow. I am building a 305 SBC to put in my Z, but I also have big respect for the honda engines. It is just a different kind of animal.

Oh God, now that's just asking to receive irritants from the Honda world on our forums.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with high revving high hp engines like the Honda's. I would never own one myself, but I would get one for my wife simply because she couldn't handle a real engine with lots of torque, it would scare the daylights out of her. A little feminine Honda would be perfect or a Mazda Miata...

Someone over there has a brain:

not really. being I6 really doesnt have much to do with it. it has to do with the RPM. read 'Honda boys' answers above. there are atleast two people who have written it. its the nature of how horsepower is calculated. HP is a measure of how fast you can apply Torque. RPM always has to be considered when you compare HP:Tq. you cant say that a car makes more Tq than HP because they arent measuring the same thing. its like if a car drives 100MPH for 50 miles, saying, you drove faster than you went. makes no sense. you have to factor in speed (RPM)

one is a measure of how fast you do the other. equally, it makes no sense to say an engine makes 145hp yet 155 ft-lbs. what is the 'yet'?

ill give you an example.

the BMW S52 motor that went into 97-99 M3's was a 3.2L I6 that made 240HP and 236ft-lbs of torque.

the BMW S54 that went into 00-06 M3's was a 3.2L I6 that made 340HP and 262ft-lbs of torque. 100 extra HP but onl 25ft-lbs of torque for the same displacement same configuration? wait what? the two engines are very much the same. the major differences are higher quality materials that allow the engine to rev to 8200RPM, and newer technology similar to VTEC that keep the torque curve flat without dropoff near redline. THIS is where the power came from.

Torque comes from displacement, Power comes from Torque times RPM. the reason you are somewhat right, is that high displacement engines, typically dont rev high therefore Torque seems high in comparison to HP, but its useless to compare things that arent in the same units.

the truth is, if you want max power and max torque to be about the same, you need to have max power come in at about 5252 RPMS. not 7800. and it simply has to do with how the units convert to another, Tq > Power.

the smoothest power is gonna come from an Inline6, Boxer 6, V12 and Boxer 12. and that has to do with timing.

the reason you dont get smooth power from VTEC is the crossover. the jerks in power come from switching cames. if VTEC engines were in the low speed cam or high speed came 100% of the time, the power would be silky smooth. look at the power from the S54 or one of the high revving Porsche Boxer 6's, they have the smoothest configurations along wih VTEC type technology (but always on, no crossover) and their torque curves look like theyve been drawn with a ruler.

Are you looking for a pat on the back from all your HybridZ buddies? Oh wow good job....Even if you are right, you shouldnt go around posting and saying "from HybridZ". Im sure a lot of people here would like the sites image to remain high in the automotive world and not dragged into retarded discussions like that.

ROFL!!

... we all know that larger displacement engines usually produce more torque... larger displacement engines usually have more moving parts.... more moving parts usually means more things going wrong with it... more things going wrong with it usually means less reliable....

this is just so funny to me!

~Andrew

Holy crap, my son would have a field day with this forum. (240SX with SR20)

I might get him to sign on and flame everyone on the site. He needs someplace to vent since I won’t buy him a totally built skyline. What a waste of time reading all that useless miss information. I like Honda as a commuter car but that’s where I draw the line. Sounds like most of the guys were probably in high school and haven’t spent much time under the hood. Hondas are very popular with high school kids. They latch onto the VTEC part and think that’s it.

I was laughing my ass off wondering if anybody was going to explain that HP and TQ are actually completely tied to one another and then finally someone explained it. This was my favorite comment:

"Let me try to explain....

... we all know that larger displacement engines usually produce more torque... larger displacement engines usually have more moving parts.... more moving parts usually means more things going wrong with it... more things going wrong with it usually means less reliable....

but then again... i don't know jack sheeout about cars"

The only thing he got right was the last 7 words.

I think if someone were to try and explain area under the curve to them and how meaningless a peak figure really is they would all crap their pants.

- Greg -

• Administrators

Those "wrong wheel drive" gurus are on the ball… No, really. With all the seat time they have amassed in their "half motor pull-toys", their technological insight is, and I quote another HybridZ member, “unbelievable”. Their knowledge of the difference between Torque and HP and how those two terms are not but two parts of the same equation is pure genius.

Just think about this from a HybridZ mind set for a moment. Some of the members here are quite savvy in Torque, while others are quiet savvy in sports car HP, put that group together in the same shop on the same engine and we can set the high-performance sports car world on its VTEC! We could build the best of both worlds. Build an engine with a long stroke for lots of torque to help with launches leaving the "Toys-R-Us" parking lot, and then also build it with a large bore so it will have high RPM sports car HP for high speed passes through the High School bus lane. Then, in true Hybrid fashion, have some flex-fuel-VTEC controller installed. This K7 engine, (7 cylinders in a “K” configuration) runs as a Diesel till 3500 RPM, then switches over to running as a gasoline engine. Could even have the transition from diesel to gasoline blended over a 1500 RPM spread for a seamless transition.

Those "wrong wheel drive" gurus are on the ball… No, really. With all the seat time they have amassed in their "half motor pull-toys", their technological insight is, and I quote another HybridZ member, “unbelievableâ€. Their knowledge of the difference between Torque and HP and how those two terms are not but two parts of the same equation is pure genius.

Just think about this from a HybridZ mind set for a moment. Some of the members here are quite savvy in Torque, while others are quiet savvy in sports car HP, put that group together in the same shop on the same engine and we can set the high-performance sports car world on its VTEC! We could build the best of both worlds. Build an engine with a long stroke for lots of torque to help with launches leaving the "Toys-R-Us" parking lot, and then also build it with a large bore so it will have high RPM sports car HP for high speed passes through the High School bus lane. Then, in true Hybrid fashion, have some flex-fuel-VTEC controller installed. This K7 engine, (7 cylinders in a “K†configuration) runs as a Diesel till 3500 RPM, then switches over to running as a gasoline engine. Could even have the transition from diesel to gasoline blended over a 1500 RPM spread for a seamless transition.

LOL i lost it..... hahahahaaaa

Those "wrong wheel drive" gurus are on the ball… No, really. With all the seat time they have amassed in their "half motor pull-toys", their technological insight is, and I quote another HybridZ member, “unbelievableâ€. Their knowledge of the difference between Torque and HP and how those two terms are not but two parts of the same equation is pure genius.

Just think about this from a HybridZ mind set for a moment. Some of the members here are quite savvy in Torque, while others are quiet savvy in sports car HP, put that group together in the same shop on the same engine and we can set the high-performance sports car world on its VTEC! We could build the best of both worlds. Build an engine with a long stroke for lots of torque to help with launches leaving the "Toys-R-Us" parking lot, and then also build it with a large bore so it will have high RPM sports car HP for high speed passes through the High School bus lane. Then, in true Hybrid fashion, have some flex-fuel-VTEC controller installed. This K7 engine, (7 cylinders in a “K†configuration) runs as a Diesel till 3500 RPM, then switches over to running as a gasoline engine. Could even have the transition from diesel to gasoline blended over a 1500 RPM spread for a seamless transition.

:confused2:hs::confused::shock::ugg::willy_nil:bonk: