HybridZ

Turbo Exhaust manifold

ColtGT4g63

Hello guys! I am a newbie to this forum. I purchased a non-running 71' 240z a while back which needed alot of TLC. Got it all cleaned up for the most part and running decent. Although I do not have any fabrication pics to post of the Z (yet), I do have several fabrication pics to post of my Other car. a 1989 Colt GT turbo. Both cars intensions are for drag racing, with a little bit of turns here and there.

Plans for the Z are an LS1 / T56 swap, I know.. very original. Anyways, enough with the talk, here are the fab pics!

On my Colt, I upgraded the turbo system to a full garrett turbo setup, This meant I had to get a new exhaust manifold, one that is compatable with a garrett T3 exhaust inlet section. To buy a decent manifold that will let me do this would run me roughly 700$ +/- 200$ depending on the quality ect. SCREW THAT, I wanted to give it a shot and make my own. I started the whole thing out by ordering some pre-cute collector pieces that look like this:

collector.jpg

star weldin them together...

IMG00103.jpg

IMG00106.jpg

IMG00107.jpg

With the collector all finished up, it was time to weld it to the Jig I had made, Ended up lookin like this:

IMG00113.jpg

With the jig all done and the collector mounted and taced. Its time to start buildin some Runners. I used 304 Stainless for my metal. Baught 14, 90* bends from MCMaster Car for about 115$ rough. So far my total in parts is about 230$ includes the pre-cut collector pieces, metal for the runners and 2 flanges. With the jig bolted to the motor I started building the #1 runner:

IMG00116.jpg

Here is what the piece looks like now, off the car.

IMG00115.jpg

Heres the pieces now, with #2 runner just about wraped up.

IMG00117.jpg

IMG00121.jpg

I think this was the stopping point for my first day working on this project. It was one of those... Wake up and walk straight to the garage. Work ALL day, then call it a night when the light from the welder lights up the street better then the street lights.

Next day I started working on this project I wanted to get the rest of the runners all finished up, and I did just that :-)

#3 all taced together:

IMG00126.jpg

#3 all filled in: its starting to look pretty sexy at this point! I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

IMG00128.jpg

and finally, with some patience... Patience.... and MORE patience I was able to get #4 runner all welded together.

IMG00133.jpg

Heres the final product off the car!

IMG00129.jpg

IMG00130.jpg

When it was all done I had to weld on a flange to adda wastegate which you can see in this pic:

LDmanifoldsmall.jpg

Heres a pic of the turbo ALL finished up and the new turbo bolted to it.

IMG00134.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. i've been running this manifold on the car now for a couple months, No signs of cracking or anything bad. it all cost me a fraction of what I would have spent elsewhere. And believe it or not, The entire thing was fabricated with a 200$ Harborfreight Tig welder. :-)

Not knowing a lick about welding and metals and how long that will hold up, I'd say you did a fantastic job. Looks great and would look even better with a jet hot coating or something similar.

Makes me wanna get off my butt and make something similar for a first welding project :) Actually, I literally need to make something similar but flipped upside down (RWD 4G63 setup with top mount T3)

I can believe that the HF TIG would be much better than their MIG - after all, YOU are still the one controlling the heat, and dipping the rod.

It's the feeding mechanism and controls on the MIG that make cheap MIGS something to avoid....

I just may have to get one 'a them there HF TIGS!

Hey thanks guys!! Yeah I wasn't really sure if the welder was up for the task but it sure seemed to do the trick! This is the exact welder I used by the way...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91811

I would definatly say that its a pretty good tig for what you pay. Its certainly got its Cons but if you learn to tig with it, You will be able to tig with ANYTHING.

Also.. the pre-cut collector pieces I ordered from PunishmentRacing.com Here is a link to the do-it-yourself section.

http://www.punishment-racing.com/diy.html

There will be lots more fabrication to come with the Z I'm sure. i'll keep you guys all posted. Thanks for the compliments!

This site I got my stuff from pretty much only sells parts for 4 cyl. turbo mitsu engines. Maybe you could find a similar site out there but for supra's, or skylines, or any other cars that has a turbo 6 cyl. that may have a do-it-yourself section? worth a shot.

DSM guys tend to be DIY guys to the very end.... Good looking work...

If i didnt allready have a miller id go pick that tig up, cheap tig welders are ok no moving parts, cheap migs tend to break and suck do to wire feeders and nozzles...

-PSi