HybridZ

Zinc in oil FYI

aarang

Hey guys, Just an FYI, I've found that most of the diesel oils are going away from putting Zinc and Phosphorous ( ZDDP) in the mix for emissions reasons.

If you look at the class on the bottle, "CI-4" is what you want. If you see

"CJ -4" or "FJ-4" it does not have the ZDDP to protect our L cams.

On another note, after doing some research and contacting STP directly over the phone, the STP four cylinder oil treatment (in the red bottle) has more than the required amount in PPM of ZDDP when mixed with five qts. of oil. It will bring the level of ZDDP at least to where it was back when our engines were new. So using any oil and putting in one bottle of the STP four cylinder treatment should be enough to prevent excessive cam wear. Hope that is helpfull!

Aaron

Hey guys, Just an FYI, I've found that most of the diesel oils are going away from putting Zinc and Phosphorous ( ZDDP) in the mix for emissions reasons.

If you look at the class on the bottle, "CI-4" is what you want. If you see

"CJ -4" or "FJ-4" it does not have the ZDDP to protect our L cams.

On another note, after doing some research and contacting STP directly over the phone, the STP four cylinder oil treatment (in the red bottle) has more than the required amount in PPM of ZDDP when mixed with five qts. of oil. It will bring the level of ZDDP at least to where it was back when our engines were new. So using any oil and putting in one bottle of the STP four cylinder treatment should be enough to prevent excessive cam wear. Hope that is helpfull!

Aaron

That is helpful - thanks!

Finally, a compelling reason to use STP... :mrgreen:

My dad and some of his friends were chatting about this over dinner last weekend at the track. Apperently Ivey engines in portland is having thier own oil mixed now, and its pretty reasonable @ $22 a gallon. They all have formula fords, which are solid tappet engines. I was thinking about it, realizing the Z and my DD diesel are both solid lifter/tappet as well.

Why do I hear John Belushi's haunting recital 'Wolf's Head Premium, I've always used Wolf's Head Premium Oil in her!' after reading that reminisce! LOL

Interesting Additive Information. I know a lot of the Engineers were scared about centrifuging out the additive package when I installed oil cleaning turbines at the plant I ran in Brea. It was unfounded. We actually had pretty good luck with additive packages to supplement the base stock of oils when our fuel stock went acidic, and our TAN for the weekly oil analysis would drop below 4 in less than 1000 hours of run time!

No choice: Batch Additive, or etch the bearings until we could get our original oil back into the engines (Mobil Blackstar). I don't even think Blackstar is available any longer, I think it was supersceded by the Pegasus line of Diesel Lubricants...or Delvac. Pegasus sucked compared to Blackstar...that stuff was awesome! Then again, it was 14-17 Years ago, eh?

No choice: Batch Additive, or etch the bearings until we could get our original oil back into the engines (Mobil Blackstar). I don't even think Blackstar is available any longer, I think it was supersceded by the Pegasus line of Diesel Lubricants...or Delvac. Pegasus sucked compared to Blackstar...that stuff was awesome! Then again, it was 14-17 Years ago, eh?

Blackstar - I want some of that, just because it sounds ominous...

interesting. I suppose for my next oil change (next week when i get more cash) i'm buyin up some Valvoline racing oil

how many quarts does the 2.8 hold? I just got the car so i'm not positive on all these yet ^^ I think I should also buy a bottle of seafoam and run it through all the car (tank, intake, case)

I contacted Red Line about the "Zinc" sublect and the responded as follows.

---------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the Race Oils have very high

levels of zinc, 2400 ppm and more importantly phosphorus 2500 ppm.

The Race Oils don't have the detergents and other additives needed

for street use and reasonable drain periods.

For performance engines used on the street or combination track and

street use the street motor oils would be recommended. The zinc level

in the street oil is 1230 ppm and the phosphorus is 1100 ppm,

sufficient for good flat tappet cam protection, plus containing a

complete detergent additive package for an extended drain interval.

The phosphorus and sulphur are the additives that provide the

anti-wear protection for highly loaded flat tappet camshafts rather

than the zinc.

Regards, Dave

Red Line Oil

On another note, after doing some research and contacting STP directly over the phone, the STP four cylinder oil treatment (in the red bottle) has more than the required amount in PPM of ZDDP when mixed with five qts. of oil.

Did you happen to ask about the blue bottle STP "Oil Treatment"? I have often wondered about the levels of ZDDP in them.

Thanks!!

It looks like I'll be using Joe Gibbs Racing Oil XP4 (equivalent to 15W50) (since that's what we sell at Lindsey Racing). Anyone have a suggestion on an additive that will have some good anti-sludge detergents? It sounds like the Joe Gibbs stuff will have the zinc, phosphorous and sulfur additives taken care of, but lacks any detergents since it is a race oil.

Does that Lucas Oil Additive have detergents?

The ZDDP, zinc dialkyl dithiosphosphate has been cut down in ppm in modern oils. Any engine that has a flat tappet cam requires ZDDP in high ppm in the oil. These new oils are formulated for the new generation roller cams.

If you look at the class on the bottle of motor oil, "CI-4" is what you want. If you see "CI-4PLUS", "CJ -4" or "FJ-4" it does not have the ZDDP in the proper ppm to protect our flat tappet engines, especially the cam shaft.

The STP four cylinder oil treatment and CD2 High Perf Oil Boost (both in the red bottle) have more than the required amount in PPM of ZDDP when mixed with five qts. of oil. It will bring the level of ZDDP at least to where it was back when our engines were new. So using any oil and putting in one bottle of the STP four cylinder treatment or CD2 High Perf Oil Boost should be enough to prevent excessive cam wear.

The STP in the blue bottle has less ppm ZDDP than the red bottle.

I emailed STP and received the following "vague" information concerning the level of ZDDP in their add additives.

"They are safe to use with all oils. The viscosity rating of the blue bottle is twice as high is the rating in the red bottle. Both products have a ZDDP level that is four times the amount of what used to be in the motor oil".