HybridZ

I Need To Cut an Axle in half, what will do?

Cable

Hey guys, I need to get another pair of inter CV's for my R230/R200 CV swap and there is a wreaked Q45 in a junk yard.

I wondered if a hack saw blade (or a few) would be able to cut through the axles so I can remove the inter CV's? Since the axles are useless anyway, its not like I am killing anything important.

I can't bring power equipment into the yard including air tools and torches. The rear diff is already missing too so getting the nuts of the ends for the outer CV's would be a royal pain.

So, same question: hack saw VS Q45 axles?

Thanks guys!!

Battery powered reciprocating saw and extra batteries and blades.

Even then my money will be on teh Q45 axle to win. That has to be some tough stuff.

No power tools allowed in the yard.

Lathe.

John, come on, how am I going to use a lathe with the axles in the car?

Surely those are hardened steel... youre going to be there all day cutting. Just get a 3' breaker bar and jump on it to bust the axle nuts loose. That or maybe cut the outer CV's to separate them since you dont need them?

I have no way to secure the axles to break the axles nuts. The lower CV is the only thing still attached.

Exactly!

Take tools required to remove the whole assembly, if you can't take the imediate parts you need, and take it all. When you get it home you can use other tools to finish dis-assembly if needed.

What tools? I'll say it again: I can't have ANY power tools in the yard, no exceptions per yard owner. I have no way to secure the axles to keep them from turning as I try to get the axle nuts off. The diff is gone and so are the brakes. How else would keep the axles from turning while I am turning the axles nuts off?

If the diff is already out, take the end caps off the CV's, remove the snap ring on the axel and remove the CV. No need to cut anything. A big hammer may come in handy to get the CV off the shaft.

That's the first decent suggestion so far. It will be messy, but will do the job.

Thanks.

No power tools allowed in the yard.

How else would keep the axles from turning while I am turning the axles nuts off?

Thanks.

I also think its a good idea, the one where you remove the retaining cir clip.

But..... if that don't sound do able to you, you could bring a large pipe wrench in with you, along with a cheater pipe, that'll hold it while you bust that nut....:-D

Hacksaw with the carbide Remington Rem/Grit Blade like you use to cut ceramic and glass tiles.

But since when is a gas/axe a ´power tool´?

Circlip will probably be a LOT easier than using a carbide saw to cut through it! Failing that, take the whole assembly and do it someplace you can get access with a proper set of tools.

John, come on, how am I going to use a lathe with the axles in the car?

If the car runs, fire it up, put it in gear, get it up to about 80mph and hit that axle shaft with a carbide tool :eek2: Stand back when you're getting near the end of the cut.:eek:

If the car runs, fire it up, put it in gear, get it up to about 80mph and hit that axle shaft with a carbide tool :eek2: Stand back when you're getting near the end of the cut.:eek:

The car is engine-less, regardless the shafts wouldn't turn anyway because, as I've said twice before, there is no diff in the car. So the axles wouldn't turn even if the car was running.

• Administrators

Just take the hubs as well. They come out quickly and easily. I just removed a Q-45 R-200, half shafts and rear hubs in a very short time from the local U-pull-it a couple weeks ago.

Just unbolt lower control arm from the car, and remove the rest of the arms from the hub. The parking brake cable quickly comes disconnected, as do the brake calipers and lines.

Once home, you can then remove the hub and sell them or better yet, keep them as I plan to do myself and build your own double A-arm arrangement utilizing those lightweight aluminum hubs with 5 lug bolt pattern, the Z-32 aluminum calipers with the NISSAN script and rotors fit perfectly, lots of great Z-32 brake upgrade kits for inexpensive, etc etc. etc..

RearSmall.jpg

i pulled a q diff a few weeks ago and was unable to bust loose the outer nuts so...i cut the metal band around the boot, sliced the inner boot, removed the snap ring and-voila, it all came apart. additionally, i got only the part of the axle i needed and it saved me some $ as well cause they only charged me for the inner cv. yes, it was pretty messy, so bring your surgeon gloves, baggies for the parts and paper or shop towels to clean up afterward!

Some times when you find yourself in a situation like that you have to become quite inventive with what is around you. I had a similar situation where it was a 4 lug instead of a 5 lug and I found that a mustache bar fit over two of the lug bolts and I could turn the axle enough to bind the mustache bar against the bottom "edge" of the car which allowed me to break the nut loose. On the other side of the car it would not wedge so I found a tire iron in another car and put in through the bushing of the mustache bar until it held and then I broke that side loose as well.

Good luck and don't be afraid to use whatever may be laying around or hooked to another car to get the job done.

Dragonfly

I once wanted a pulley off of an alternator, so I took a hammer and smashed the case of the alternator until it jammed. Bolt came right off after that.

:lmao: That's a good one! Reminds me of the time I had to get a dead car off of the tow dolly but had to park on a downhill slope. Pulled the ebrake and dragged the dolly out from underneath with the ramps grinding, squealing, and dragging the whole way. It was awesome.