HybridZ

Undisguised 2009 Nissan GT-R

Cable

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/FREE/71016002/1508/newsletter02

I kinda like the look of it. A Z06 looks so much like a stock C6 that it looses some of the wow factor, and a 911T is almost 50% more expensive.

Nissan's GT-R super coupe is set to be a star at next week's Tokyo motor show. So far, the best we've seen of the it are spy shots of prototype vehicles getting hammered around places such as Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca in Monterey, California, and along the famed Nurburgring race track in Germany.

That was then, this is now: Here's the new GT-R in all its un-disguised glory.

The reason you get to see it this week instead of next is simple--the embargo on information was broken by Motor Trend magazine which put the car on its December cover; an image of which was released to promote an award.

The Nissan GT-R will go toe-to-toe with the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo. The GT-R's twin-turbo V6 gives it a startling 0 to 60 mph time of near 3.5 seconds and a top speed of 192 mph. That V6 cranks out 473 hp and 433 lb-ft of torque, driving all four wheels through a rear-mounted transaxle. In between is a GR6 dual-clutch six-speed automatic you can operate via paddles on the steering wheel.

Base price is expected to be less than $80,000.

hmm...not sure what to say. pretty awesome, and it looks more like a skyline, but at the same time, it has changed a LOT haha.

those headlights are pretty neat looking how they strech like that.

with that kind of performance though, the GT-R is definitely back! I wonder what it does in the 1/4

How did they manage to botch the looks of the front end like that?!? Their entire line of cars is styled pretty well, yet they blow it when rolling out their flagship... The Skyline has always been understated, yet aggressive -kind of a Japanese Chrysler 300 (NOT the new ones). Hopefully the JDM aftermarket will come up with a decent nose/bumper replacement.

It also seems Nissan still likes the twin intake/exhaust layout, ala Z32TT.

Im sure it will be fast and fun to drive but its completely hideous.

Nice try Nissan thanks for ruining the skyline.

I seriously couldn't have said it any better. Big disappointment in my opinion...Getting rid of a beautiful design, beautiful motor, beautiful manual transmisson....:iospalo: You know what I see a lot of these will be driven by?? Woman.. I just saw a brand new Z06 the other day so I pulled up next to it on the freeway, I love the look of them by the way..., and who is driving? A woman.. You could tell it was her car...Stuff hanging from the mirror....flower stickers on the back window.... Dont get me wrong, Im not discriminating against woman but lets be real here, 95% of woman will not use the power, and if they do...oh boy... MAYBE .5% of them will know how to use it. WE ARE MEN WE USE OUR TOYS!!!! I just think they are making cars to easy to drive these days...which causes more deaths. I think to drive these higher powered cars, the buyers should have to pass a course to buy them. I dont know how many z06's i have seen totaled already. Also someone already ripped the front half of a bugatti veyron off and dont even get me started on the enzo ferrari. The value of the enzo will go up just because of people crashing them!!! I could go on and on about people with money buying these cars not knowing how to properly drive them if they decide to get stupid with them ON THE STREET. But I will leave you with this....in MY opinion...the skyline is dead.

It also seems Nissan still likes the twin intake/exhaust layout, ala Z32TT.

yup even the newer 350z's and the G35's and soon g37's have the split intake like that. Works very well for them.

I know all of you guys are hating on them because they look different and all but look at them from the beginning way back when. They have gone through so many changes that its ridiculous. making it look look exactly like the R34 of years ago would have been a Terrible business move by nissan. When the wheel smoke clears look at how much better this one is than the others. Ya its a v-6 and not inline but it puts way more out of the box power than the previous ones (even with all the current ridiculous emissions and dot laws they had to tip-toe around). There will be a manual (I drove in one).

Not trying to bash everyone at all, but wait till you drive in one. You wont be dissappointed. Ya, I know, many of your z's havwe more power but off the showroom floor its a better car then the 911 and the z06 (i also witnessed this firsthand)

Its Awesome

im done now

Sounds promising manny.

I guess what some people are wondering is whether the engine will cope with tuner mods as well as the RB. I think the VQ is an open-deck design? So once you start pushing things then core drift becomes an issue? Anyone know if this block is a closed or open deck?

Dave

Killer motor. Plenty of untapped potential, I doubt 473 hp is as much as you could squeeze out of it.

Body: Meh. Looks as if someone mated a 350 and a G35 coupe, mashed it down and stretched it out a bit, and added some Mitsubishi cues. HATE HATE HATE 'crawl-up-the-fender' headlights. Really wish those had died on the Celica.

Trans: Why?

Guess you just have to build it if you want it...which is what hybridz is all about, anyway. I think we have to admit that we're a very small market segment and we're not what this car is aimed at. People that are going to blow $60k+ on a car are after a status symbol.

Im sure it will be fast and fun to drive but its completely hideous.

Nice try Nissan thanks for ruining the skyline.

I agree the front is butt ugly like the Lexus SC430's butt is butt ugly.

I wonder if Infinity will make something similar.

Like when the 350Z was first introduced, I want to like the styling. but ugly is as ugly does.

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur stuck in the 70s, but all of Nissan's current styling leaves me cold.

This thing probably weighs 3500+ pounds. They totally miss the mark as far as I'm concerned.