HybridZ

Who Daily Drives their s30

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few questions here.

1- How many people have a secondary car that they drive when the Z is down?

2- If you do not have another car to drive, how do you find time to do any modifications to your Z with having a full time job?

I am asking because I DD my ZX and am planning a turbo swap. I am working full time and I don't know when I will have time to swap and tune over half a Saturday and a full Sunday.

Currently 4 cars for 2 people. Z is not a DD.

Having said that, I did have a day last year where 3 out of 3 cars where out of service.

AE101 corolla had dead alternator

AE82 corolla had distributor being rebuilt

Z had no computer

Even when you have other options things don't always go right. ;)

2- If you do not have another car to drive, how do you find time to do any modifications to your Z with having a full time job?

I am asking because I DD my ZX and am planning a turbo swap. I am working full time and I don't know when I will have time to swap and tune over half a Saturday and a full Sunday.

1) No other car. Hopefully going to be getting a motorcycle soon to DD

2) I don't, beyond oil changes, filters, etc. :(

Yeah, DD'ing a car that you also work on for a project is no fun and not a simple task. It leads you to rush things that you normally wouldn't or forget that things that you shouldn't. With that being said, my Z doesn't run, but will be turning into daily driver material. Get a good solid daily driver before your Z goes down. You are still going to have to get around even with your car out of commission. Find a cheap beater car (I daily a 1996 ford taurus, $1600 bucks and almost 2 years later she still starts everyday, had to replace very basic things, not even brakes)

1) I have a 280ZX that was given to me from someone I didn't even know. So it gets me around when I need it to. Though it needs a little attention of it's own.

2) I don't have a full time job. :D I'm in school right now though, but I find time to work on it during the weekends. Pretty soon the weather is going to be amazing california standard again so I need to get er' back on the road because once the weather gets good somehow my weekend schedule doesn't let up for a good 6 months or so.

I've been daily driving my Z for a year now as I slowly upgrade it and maintain it. But now i'm actually looking to buy a new daily driver. I really need more time to work on the Z and having to rush jobs over a weekend really sucks! Had to miss work because I didn't finish my suspension upgrade!!! :nono:

So now i'm looking for something cheap and reliable that I like so I can focus more time on the Z and possibly a turbo swap.

I love driving my Z everyday, but I really want to do a lot more to it and need to let it sit for a while.

I just got a truck (83 Nissan 4X4) to drive while I do some long overdue work on the Z. I've been DDing the truck for a few weeks, today I drove the Z for the first time since and WOW! Going from slow I4 with wide gear ratios to I6 turbo with low gears and closer ratios is drastic! My car really isn't that fast, but it feels like a rocket compared to the truck! Sure helps me appreciate it more when I drive it. :-D

Yeah, DD'ing a car that you also work on for a project is no fun and not a simple task. It leads you to rush things that you normally wouldn't or forget that things that you shouldn't. With that being said, my Z doesn't run, but will be turning into daily driver material. Get a good solid daily driver before your Z goes down. You are still going to have to get around even with your car out of commission. Find a cheap beater car (I daily a 1996 ford taurus, $1600 bucks and almost 2 years later she still starts everyday, had to replace very basic things, not even brakes)

Hey there Smokey, didn't know you've been on here since '06!

This Saturday I am going to drive 3 hours to go trade my DD Honda for an 86 Z31 Turbo 5 Speed. The alternator is dead and I will be doing an alt swap in his garage. This should be an interesting weekend.

I had the exhaust problems too. Couldn't go anywhere without smelling like exhaust. I tried everything. I must have used five gallons of silicone sealing everything. I pulled every panel out of the car including the tail lights...pulled up all the carpet sealed all the plugs...the fuel tank vents replaced hoses and sealed all the firewall penetrations and replaced the rear hatch seals and drain plugs as well but to no avail. It wasn't untill I was driving down the freeway one afternoon when a 77-78 280 passed me by and was burning oil like he had his own surplus. He slowed down as he passed me and he was obviously trying to get me to show him what I had under the hood. And that's when I saw the huge trail of white smoke circling the back of his car. It just sort of hung there circling the bumper and actually was being sucked back in under the car. It put out huge amounts of smoke on acceleration and deacelleration. So being the curious guy that I am...kept provoking him just to study how and where the fumes were being drawn back into the car. It was just like having my own wind tunnel with smoke and everything for a while. The whole back of the car obviously had a negative pressure zone that never allowed the exhaust to escape. Studing it for some time I came to the realization that I could have the whole car dipped in silicone and I would still never be able to stop the fumes from coming in. That's when it dawned on me...why not put an exhaust tip on the car that directs the flow out the side into the airstream flowing down the side of the car. It worked like a charm! Sure...it certainly changed the look of rear of my Z and I caught hell from all my friends asking me what the hell is that! ...but trust me...it was worth it! I wish I had some pics. I just took a stainless steel 90 degree elbo and cut it at a 45% angle and turned as to make sure it exited into the airstream on the drivers side. I've seen a video of Big Phil's car and he addresses this problem quite well by angeling the exhaust out in much the same fashion. Hope this helps. It certainly has helped me...now I can take a shower...jump in the Z and go out in public and not smell like exhaust...or worry about my health anymore.

I had the exhaust problems too. Couldn't go anywhere without smelling like exhaust. I tried everything. I must have used five gallons of silicone sealing everything. I pulled every panel out of the car including the tail lights...pulled up all the carpet sealed all the plugs...the fuel tank vents replaced hoses and sealed all the firewall penetrations and replaced the rear hatch seals and drain plugs as well but to no avail. It wasn't untill I was driving down the freeway one afternoon when a 77-78 280 passed me by and was burning oil like he had his own surplus. He slowed down as he passed me and he was obviously trying to get me to show him what I had under the hood. And that's when I saw the huge trail of white smoke circling the back of his car. It just sort of hung there circling the bumper and actually was being sucked back in under the car. It put out huge amounts of smoke on acceleration and deacelleration. So being the curious guy that I am...kept provoking him just to study how and where the fumes were being drawn back into the car. It was just like having my own wind tunnel with smoke and everything for a while. The whole back of the car obviously had a negative pressure zone that never allowed the exhaust to escape. Studing it for some time I came to the realization that I could have the whole car dipped in silicone and I would still never be able to stop the fumes from coming in. That's when it dawned on me...why not put an exhaust tip on the car that directs the flow out the side into the airstream flowing down the side of the car. It worked like a charm! Sure...it certainly changed the look of rear of my Z and I caught hell from all my friends asking me what the hell is that! ...but trust me...it was worth it! I wish I had some pics. I just took a stainless steel 90 degree elbo and cut it at a 45% angle and turned as to make sure it exited into the airstream on the drivers side. I've seen a video of Big Phil's car and he addresses this problem quite well by angeling the exhaust out in much the same fashion. Hope this helps. It certainly has helped me...now I can take a shower...jump in the Z and go out in public and not smell like exhaust...or worry about my health anymore.

Pretty useful info. Got any pics of the exhaust? I'm curious to see what it's like.

Also, welcome to hybridz!

Hey there Smokey, didn't know you've been on here since '06!

This Saturday I am going to drive 3 hours to go trade my DD Honda for an 86 Z31 Turbo 5 Speed. The alternator is dead and I will be doing an alt swap in his garage. This should be an interesting weekend.

ha ha yeah, i registered when i first read about the ls1 240z.

I probably have one of the crappiest z's on here, but she has been a faithful DD for almost a year... she's 35 years old and when I bought it I pulled the head to see what state the engine was in, smooth walls... it doesn't use any oil and still has plenty of power...

I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the gas smell... my girlfriend calls it my perfume. :D