HybridZ

Who Daily Drives their s30

I have a 71, 240 that I drive to and from work four days a week. That's 123 miles round trip. It's a ratty little car but it runs pretty good though it uses a little oil. The engine and tranny came from a "77" 280 with 100,000 miles on it. The engine combo sat in my yard for 10 or 12 years before I installed it after number 5 cylinder stared pumping oil real bad. I just enjoy driving the little car.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.....It's that time of year again for me. The time when waking up in time for 8am class now has to include time to sit in the Z with my foot on the accelerator to keep the engine from dying while it warms up.

I just usually pull the choke a bit in cold weather...

However, now that I think about it, running rich like that could tend to produce carbon buildup or foul plugs...

Is my method bad?

I just usually pull the choke a bit in cold weather...

However, now that I think about it, running rich like that could tend to produce carbon buildup or foul plugs...

Is my method bad?

no, that's the whole point of chokes. The issue is that mikuni didn't put chokes on their 44's ;)

i do everything in my driveway of my apartment with cheap tools

Yeah, that can make things more time consuming.

I've pulled motors and changed transmissions in fields, other peoples garages and driveways, a few clutch changes on the side of the road, usually with other peoples starter set of tools.

I have owned a '76 280z for twelve almost thirteen years and there was never any question about getting another vehicle.

Yes it is my daily driver...

I have only ever owned one vehicle at a time and with the Z I have learned mechanical skills.

It is set up for hell I don't know, if something looked or acted cool I would put it on.

I guess I have gone up to the stage two or three of suspension mods that are listed on this site.

It has taken this long to get the vehicle where I like it, and I have to redo some stuff that I already did.

I look at other dudes and their rides and they did a better job and in shorter time but that is what's great; no one is keeping score...

I guess I got lucky with my car from the get go; I purchased it from the original owner; no body rot, no accidents etc.

You boys with exhaust issues; get a BRE type spoiler and change your weatherstripping and see if that does not help or solve that issue...

This L-6 motor is an efficient design and with proper care will run forever.

Most of my mechanical components are on lifetime warranty at parts stores.

It is so friggin' easy to work on that car, I open up the hood and there is enough room to throw down a blanket and have a picnic.

With a modern front wheel drive car, forget it; plastic covers, electronic sensors, zero tolerance to work with, but it is still the basic internal combustion engine, so why do I need the bells and whistles?

You boys with sound issues, put on a glasspack or two and see (hear) if that does not solve your problem.

Modern cars are a hoot but I would not want to own one.

First and foremost they're priced out of reach of the working man and I am not going in the credit hole with a vehicle that costs as much as a house downpayment.

They have no "soul". I have probably lived in California too long but modern cars are just dry, sterile and they all look the same.

I am happy with my Z and thankful for this website...

• 3 months later...

I drove my 260 from '83 to '94 everyday, switched to a 280 in late '94, it seemed the fuel injection system created a much less obtrusive gas aroma inside the cab than the early su and later weber triple carbs did...I also found that new rear hatch rubber (and a hatch that seals tightly and properly with an adjusted latch) and rear brake light rubber will go along way in sealing against exhaust re-entry. Also make sure the exhaust pipes are welded at the seems and sealed their entire lengths, this will also help promote a friendly cab environment. For what its worth...

I'd forgotten about this thread.

I daily drive my 75' L28ET 280Z. I think it's getting about 16mpg but I don't care. No AC. I dont' care. No heat. I don't care.

What are sweaters and jackets for if not for driving cool cars? What are windows for if not to roll them down?

I might switch to daily driving a 80' 280ZX, but only so I can do some repairs to my 75' and get megasquirt running on it.

Some update info, since it's been a while:

I daily drove my 81' for a while to get me through those really cold months. If I can survive the rest of this month it should be nothing but good weather for the forseable future, so I'm driving the 75' again for the last 2 weeks.

I never got around to getting MS running on the car, and have basically decided I won't. I plan a "secret" engine swap probably in about 4-5 years from now, and since I'm only going to go for around 250 wheel HP MAX on this engine, there's just no point since I won't need the MS for the next engine.

But here's what I HAVE done:

-Fixed MASSIVE camber problem due to insanely inapropriate springs

-Changed to the turbo intake and blocked off everything pretty much

-Removed the heater core, AC core, and blower motor since I wasn't really using them anyways

-Swapped turbos from my other engine when I did the intake

-Switched to the stock J pipe so the intake piping isn't sectioned together like a hack job

-Add some much needed switches and removed much uneeded wiring

-Moved battery

-Changed hood to a "prettier one"

-Added a nice front lip

-Blocked off all open holes in firewall so I don't completely freeze

-Gutted tons of stuff that wasn't hooked up, being used, or just plain uneeded (still more to do on that though)

-Tore apart all that wasn't being used of my dash

Things I plan to do in the VERY near future:

-Fab a simple dash and switch panel

-Buy tires so I can have 4 matching rims again

-Put on the spare doors I have and get the whole car rattle can semi-gloss black

-Duct the radiator and block off the front the best I can for next to free

-Vent engine bay air to the cowl vent

-Buy some much needed bushings

And for those unaware, last time I posted the car looked something like this:

mjs2008=117.jpg

And now looks more like this (this was still a while ago though)

Oh, and those aren't my rims. Those were the prototype Rota's for the group buy that rudypoochris organized.

h-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
One car each hey? ;)

Sort-of; I gave my `95 Hardbody XE V6 (Xcab) to my son but he's still on his learner's permit, wife drives a Corolla and I have a Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 Z71 to tow my toys (boat/jetski) and for long family trips. :lol: