HybridZ

The "NEXT" Test...

I finally got the check from Nissan Sport for writing the article, and that $200 will go into a fund for the next round of tests. I'll start planning it in January. This next round will test more extreme versions of aerodynamic devices. I plan to roll my car thru it, along with Tom's Redbird, and maybe we can pry those Gnose headlight covers away From Mark I.s grasp to get some good numbers on Tetter's Gnose car with a more suitable whaletail or other rear aero device bolted to it.

We'll probably start a donations "call" sometime in February timeframe.

Stay tuned!

Mike

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, My apologies to Austin and Tom for being cut out of the mentions in the test... I sent a picture of the group (one that was published HERE) with all the names of the contributors and partricipants... Somewhere in the edits NissanSport cut out a lot of what I thought would be useful info. SUch is the life of a lowly writer. Austin I'd love to take you up on the offer, and also would ask for your assistance, along with Tom, and the rest of the crew from the last test.

I do plan to re-produce my FIRST (Not the NissanSport article) article taken down due to some issues with a member, so folks can get the FULL story as it was intended.

Priomadonna, I'd love to get numbers on your car, just for the sake of getting them. We'll have to see how extensive the testing, and if we'll be blowing smoke next time, or using ribbons again. Smoke takes a lot more time and would probably mean less tests run.

To the other members, I'll keep you all posted... As to comments about the 280ZX or other platforms, I simply have no interest in testing them. It's that simple. I've never owned anything other than an S30, and would be more than happy to steer someone in the right direction for making that series of tests happen. But I'm not your man for that one... simply not enough time in the day.

Mike

Mike, I'll be happy to make a donation :) it's a worthy cause.

I know all about magazines editing out things the subject of the article thinks is pretty darn relevant... it's happened to us a few times too.

I didn't know this was happening and came across the magazine at Borders the other day. It kinda inspired me to try and rent a tunnel to see how the GTO's fare. Also to be safe, as we have been at around 145-150 in the car already and it has quite a bit more rpms to go - I'd rather know ahead of time if another 20mph would turn it into a sailplane..

Congrats on a great article :)

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I love the S130 platform I think I'm happy they'll only be testing the S30 chassis.

The more I think about it the more I just want to see a huge catalog of S30 data, and from that we can learn more and more about making aero mods work on the S30.

It'll be better have a huge use run of S30's blown in the tunnel then a few tests of many platforms that basically gets us nowhere.

Basically, I think it's better to know everything about the S30 aero then a little bit of every car in the world.

===============

What I'd love to see:

===============

I'd love to see someone do some super cheap paneling on the underbody to make the underside as flat as possible without extensive care taken to how perfect it is. I know that for aero mods to work well they have to be done well, but I'd love to know how much just closing things up a bit will help. Getting the front end flush all the way from the floorpan to the chin spoiler, and getting a cover made for the rear to minimize space for air to move around the suspension.

But I'll be the first to admit that you shouldn't give a crap about what I say, listen to the people actually donating time and money first, THEN if you can make people happy. That's just the way it is. (hopefully I'll be able to donate at least a good 50-100 bucks for ya guys)

I would love to see a Gnose given the duck tape treatment or whatever the sealing setup was with the MSA Type 3 that yeilded such great results. Any information about the Gnose actually interests me much more this round since I now have one, and since they have become much more avilable in the 'group buy' section.