HybridZ

I hate them there halfprice hagglers

PapaCreech

Guys I've sold my fair share of my cars and generally get close to what I ask b/c I think I ask a good fair price for the cars. Anyways I ran my Z in the local paper and had a few responses then had this guy call, and tell me how he was an engineer for a rail-road. Then proceed to tell me how much he loves z cars, which is great, so he ask to come see the car. I told him everything that was goin on with it to the the extent of my knowledge. He still seemed pysched about the car so I met him in town ( he drove around 30-45minutes to get there). He looked at the car was saying how goo di tlooked for its age and how easy it would be to get whre he wanted blah blah blah. . . .

He drove the car, said that he was surprised that it still had the solid power that it does (its not a pavement shredder but its spunky). He told me he was buying it for his 13 year old son to work on it with him for his first car, which is a damn cool thing for a dad to do, I talked to the son some an dhe seemed like a cool ass kid, really into z Cars. He lurks here at times, if ya see this kid then " I say Hello again". Then he asked how much I wanted for it. I told him I wasking 1000 but I would take 800. Which I think is a pretty good deal. APPARENTLY no. He then proceeded to tell me how MUCH work he would have to do to the z'ster to get it even close to where he wanted.

After this little charade he then told me he just couldn't give me 800 for it but only about half that. Aint that some sh!t? I kindly politely told him no thankyou (as I was raised) and bid them farewell. Oh well my little gripe session is over. Thanks Ztherapy add the bill to my tab.

I hear ya. I'm in the market for a Z myself and know where you're coming from. I think the problem may partially be a result of forum cruisers, to a degree. There are a couple threads on here where people share how much they paid for the cars they have, and what they paid for the stuff they've done to it. That's great in theory, until you get someone trying to figure out how much to expect to pay for one. They might take the cheapest example, like people who get extremely lucky or special (friends and rare cases) cheap prices, and expect to get the same kind of crazy good deal. What they probably don't realize is that the people that get those great prices have usually been in the Z car market for some time, have helped someone out or something and are getting a good deal in return, or have stumbled onto someone really needing to get rid of one. That's my theory.

I understand both sides. I'm very cheap on most things. I usually insult people with my offers, but then again, it is MY money and we all have the right to spend it how we please.

I've been told more times NO then yes, but have held out many times to get the deal.

Just hold firm or ebay it. If it's as decent as you say it should bring at least 1000 no?

That was just insulting for him to try and low ball that far. He'll be back I'm sure. This time with a more reasonable offer.

Nothing against you naviathan, but how is that insulting? Free market makes the price on EVERYTHING. It is his money.

I haggle everything. As a buyer if your not willing to work with me I move on.

I had a deal not to long ago about a hot tub. It was AWESOME for 2500. I offered 2000 which wasn't too low but again it was a very nice tub. He gave me all this song and dance about how he's in been in sales for 25 years and refused to negotiate. My wife was like get it and I refused.

Long story short, as a buyer WE often don't NEED things, we WANT things. If I NEED something I generally end up paying the cost, do to the need, but If I don't I always low ball. It is amazing what you can get just by asking.

Well, haggling is a two way street. You shouldn't have said the $800 bit... let him offer 500, you say deal if you split the difference from your 1000- likely sold for $750.

I haggle for my cars. I try to do it for parts too, but most people don't try to bargain back. I presume they just assume its my final offer, and don't email or call me back.

And I definitely agree with Trumpet. Those Cali people pay two dimes and a nickel for a rust free runner, but in the north its worth 500% of that!

It's a free market, yes. But there's reasonable lowballs and then there's insulting. If your car is running decently well, you could probably get more than he was offering by parting it out. Do you have any pics online? I know some people who aren't too far away from northern GA.

When selling a car, I normally tell people up front what I want, final price is $____. If you make me an offer below that, I keep the car, you move on. When buying, I offer what I think its worth TO ME. If the seller has other ideas, he keeps the car, and I move on. I sold a car on craigslist a while back, what a mess. I made the mistake of saying $1000 or offer. I had people get quite upset when they came look at the car, offered me $400, and I didnt take it. It was the same thing, they talked about how nice it was, how clean and rust free it was for its age (1960 Ford falcon) and then made a totally un-reasonable offer, and got mad when I didnt accept it... whatever, just a pain in the rear is all it was. Some people seem to want something for nothing.

IMO it has alot to do with your presentation.

Lowballing while explaining what the car needs and what a piece of crap it is will just offend and piss off the other party.

There was a pair of speakers on craigslist for $500, turns out the seller was a person on an audio site that I frequented. We spoke back and fourth several times, and I basically told him that I could not afford the asking price but badly wanted them. I ended up paying half what he was asking.

Its all about presentation. I have had lowball offers that pissed me off so bad that I could never sell it to the guy for ANY price. I have also had lowball offers from people who had built some repor (sp?) with me that I took up on the deal.

Evan

Well I understand both sides of the haggling but as was stated it was the way the guy presented himself, the wishywashy way he did. Arghh just infuriating. I'm planning on just holding firm and waiting for the person who's destined to buy it come along. If I still have it at tax return time, It may just get parked and stored for awhile until I get done with school but I'd like for someone to get it that appreciates the cars, o'well

It is one thing to try and get a deal. another to flat out waste someone's time.

Probably should have made the price known before he came over.

Craigslist draws rather odd responses. It is really easy to email a response saying how you absolutely have to have this $4 hammer and please don't sell it until I get there, something else to get off the internet and drive 30 minutes for the same $4 item.

Use to be when selling a car, whoever called first got first dibs. It was just common courtesy to hold it and give them rights of first refusal.

Nowadays whoever shows up first should get it. Too many sandbags with a keyboard out there.

Everyone is looking for that $500 perfect car that's been abandoned in a garage. I have a '66 Mustang fastback in the driveway and get knocks on the door all the time from potential buyers who want to pay about 25% of what it's worth. Everyone is looking for a bargain.

Everyone is looking for that $500 perfect car that's been abandoned in a garage. I have a '66 Mustang fastback in the driveway and get knocks on the door all the time from potential buyers who want to pay about 25% of what it's worth. Everyone is looking for a bargain.

I'm looking at a fastback right now. What are they worth in REALLY bad shape?

If only we were all so lucky, lol.

In the near future I'll probably be picking up a minor rust, with 5spd but no motor, good interior S30 for about 1k. Not as good of a deal as you got, but I don't think it's too bad for northern arkansas. Plus the guy may have found me a L28ET motor for $650, which isn't too bad either (if it is indeed in good condition).