HybridZ

Post you best/worst auotmotive injury

Guest TeamNissan

I was making a metal model car in metals class and was holding the door/quarter panels on to weld them. I had strategicaly placed my hand on the other side of the panel in the spot I would be welding. After a second of welding it began to get really hot... burnt my hand pretty bad.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knock on wood, the worst so far from the Z would be the weld glob that landed on my arm. As I tried to escape from under the car, my helmet got caught and I ended up squeezing the weld ball between my shoulder and the concrete floor. It left a little crater in my skin, and smelled nauseating.

Scariest wound ever would have to be from the snow blower. I sucked up the newspaper and tried to pull it out from the top chute. Yes, the motor was off but the impeller had enough potential energy stored up that it sprung free and sliced my fingers. I was terrified to look at my hand - but luckily they were all still attached. Bleeding - but attached!

The shape of the blades and the way they were wedged against the newspaper turned it into a spring. On a snow blower there are the wheels that everybody sees at the front that suck in the snow. In the back, connected to the motor directly, is the impeller. Its what launches the snow up and out.

I got a ton of metal dust in my nose/mouth from grinding under my car that made the roof of my mouth bleed. It was no fun since it hurt too bad to eat for a day and a half and I had a slimy scab thing in my mouth for four or five days. Other than that just the regular busted knuckles.

Havent had anything major, lots of busted knuckles. The one that stands out to me, i forgot exactly what i was doing, but the wrench slipped and my knuckle hit the rear brake fins really hard and i felt it hit the bone, it stung a lot but it was such and odd feeling...

Also when my dad and I were doing the initial teardown (we were working in a friends really nice garage w lifts) the car was up in the air and my dad was unbolting the old rusty downpipe and i was holding it for him. Being a friday afternoon in my HS years, my mind was elsewhere and i underestimated the weight of it, so i just held it with my palm. Low and behold, he snaps the bolt off, the pipe goes flying sideways and it smacked him right in the head pretty hard. I did honestly feel pretty bad for screwing up like that, and of course he was not a happy camper lol....

Installing my brother's turbo motor, we had an old electric fan laying around.....I decided to test it to see if it worked.....it worked well enough to rip the skin off of my left middle and ring fingers!! It hurt, but not as much as you would think. I tried to get the Docs at the E-room to let my buddy take pictures but they wouldn't let him in the room.

That was/is my worst automotive injury.....and by far my most stupid!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

one of the worst was loading my z31 onto the trailer to get crushed, this car was so damn stubborn going up the trailer, i tried rolling it up the ramps, i tried getting speed and pushing it up the ramps, finally busted out the winch hooked the cable to the radiator support and sitting their with my hand right next to the hook, the cable snapped and a wire caught the back of my hand and tore it open to the bone from the knuckle of my index finger to just above the ball of wrist, went to immediate care with a z31 on the trailer though!

Not me, but a guy from the Navy whom we all referred to as 'the goat roper' gave himself a critical heart attack painting his Z Car using urethane and using no respirator.

Before he started painting he had put on new doors, but never closed them and I warned him that the strikers may cause an issue. He blew me off. Well, they took him away and we ended pushing his car out of the bay so we could work on our stuff. When I closed the door, it was plainly clear this idiot had picked up 2+2 doors and installed them on a coupe.

This is the same guy who refused to put jackstands under the Isuzu 117 Coupe he was working under, and just kicked them (6 or 12 ton big jobbers) under the rocker panels in disgust because the hobby shop people were 'wasting his time' pulling him from beneath the car to tell him he HAD to use jackstands. Kicked em under there and said all angry 'There! They're under the car! Get out of my face $#@%$#!" I ended up putting the tire he had pulled off the car under the rocker panel as well.

We were all working in the other bay (separated by a concrete block wall) and we heard BOOM-Scruuuuuuuunch-THUNK...."Help! Help! The fu*king car is on my fu*king chest! Help! Help!"

He had tugged on something, popped the pumpkin off the floor jack, the axle hit the side of the jackstand and slid down it till it laid the rocker panel on the tire and rim I had placed under the side of the car.

I think I may have saved his life. he had several cracked ribs, and did not argue about jackstands thereafter.

This was before he gave himself the heart attack.

When he came back form the Naval Hospital, he resumed painting...without a respirator, but 'Outside where the vapors can get spread out more while I'm painting.'

Some people, you just can't reach.

I wonder if the Goat Roper still roams this planet, or if he's Darwined himself into the mythological ether...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Sorry but that soiunds like something I would do!

Hey I once hot melted a block of wood to my finger tips...........:puke:!

I bolted my finger between a lawnmower blade and the adapter with an impact. Which I dropped and then had to pick up again to unbolt my hand.

I can't count how many times i've gotten carb cleaner in my eyes. I wonder...

#1 Gas in Eyes,Mouth and Ear all at the same time. The Ear hurt the worst for some reason.

#2 Tried to change my clutch with the trans setting on my chest (Dad said "thats how we used to do it"), after an hr I couldn't move and started calling for help.......... 3hrs later someone came buy and pulled me out...

My chest was bruised black and I couldn't breath right for awhile.

Did your dad slap you upside the head and tell you the truth! LOL

#1 Gas in Eyes,Mouth and Ear all at the same time. The Ear hurt the worst for some reason.

#2 Tried to change my clutch with the trans setting on my chest (Dad said "thats how we used to do it"), after an hr I couldn't move and started calling for help.......... 3hrs later someone came buy and pulled me out...

My chest was bruised black and I couldn't breath right for awhile.