HybridZ

V8 swap in a super clean 72?

OK here we go.

I bought my 72 240z (build date 3/72 HLS30-70407) with the intention of doing a v8 swap or at least going over the body with a custom look, nice stereo, tint, and see if I could be happy with the L6.

This weekend was the first time I've had a chance to go over my new toy, Ive only had it for 6 or 7 days and been working so much I havent had the chance to really go over it,,,,and I bought it at night.

Now the dillema.....the car is SO remarkably clean and untouched I now dont know if it would be a crime to mess with it. Its all there and in amazing shape. The original radio, the little switch raises the antenna, the original warranty paperwork under the seat, original paint code paint in very good shape, great black interior with only 2 little tiny cracks in the dash. No rust anywhere except for one little spot on the dog leg and a tiny spot on the hatchback ring. The rear defrosters work, the switch lights up. Under the hood all is 100% original. Original rims,stereo,paint,interior,tranny,motor, ....... a can of factory touch up paint in Japanese....service receipts from 1973.....lifted the carpet,spare tire, tool boxes,,,flawless.

Now what? What would the rest of you do? ? ? Perfect glass, hatchback shock works, headliner looks like it left the factory yesterday....original bumpers in outstanding shape......all ID plates there....

Decisions..decisions.... any advice?

If it's that clean sell it on ebay with a high reserve. Spend lots of time getting super clear pictures, make the ebay listing very professional looking and clean. Some people have been paying really stupid prices lately. See if you can get some dumbass to pay you twice what it is worth and then buy a Z that already has a V8 in it. The other option is to build that one knowing that it is a solid chassis, but if you like to drive and not turn wrenches, then just buy one that's already done up.

Some people have been paying really stupid prices lately. See if you can get some dumbass to pay you twice what it is worth and then buy a Z that already has a V8 in it.

When you make that kind of statement, do you mean get someone that will pay 20k? Say this Z is as clean as he is telling us, why wouldn't it be worth maybe 4-7k as a fair price? Plus who knows if he is the "dumbass" you are talking about!

I see the point you were trying to make but I think a poor selection of words.

XCYTER-

If you paid "cheap" or "stole" this car and can see yourself making 2k on the deal, maybe you sell it. If you car looking for more of a headache and turning wrenches....you can start with a clean shell and build from there. What is your end goal with this car with the V8?

If you take a look back, I bought a very clean 260z with 33k for dirt cheap. I wanted to do the LS1 in it but I thought it was way to clean of a car for what I wanted to do. I sold the car and make a fcouple thousand and threw the money in my 240z/LS1. If I wanted more of a clean/street car...I would have done the swap in it.

Clive

When you make that kind of statement, do you mean get someone that will pay 20k? Say this Z is as clean as he is telling us, why wouldn't it be worth maybe 4-7k as a fair price? Plus who knows if he is the "dumbass" you are talking about!

I see the point you were trying to make but I think a poor selection of words.

XCYTER-

If you paid "cheap" or "stole" this car and can see yourself making 2k on the deal, maybe you sell it. If you car looking for more of a headache and turning wrenches....you can start with a clean shell and build from there. What is your end goal with this car with the V8?

If you take a look back, I bought a very clean 260z with 33k for dirt cheap. I wanted to do the LS1 in it but I thought it was way to clean of a car for what I wanted to do. I sold the car and make a fcouple thousand and threw the money in my 240z/LS1. If I wanted more of a clean/street car...I would have done the swap in it.

Clive

I paid disgustingly cheap for this car. I also just pulled out the original tool kit (black leather bag)and jack/lug wrench from the spare tire well and just went around the block, runs beautifully and fast. Is this what it feels like to win the lottery? Im tempted to hold on to it for awhile to let the joy soak in a bit. Id also like to drive it for awhile perhaps. I will post pics tomorrow.

To the right person a super clean example would bring between $10-20K. I know of a 75 280Z right now that is well worth that. If this car is truly in that condition without any doordings/dents or rust, I'd expect it to be able to be sold well over the $6-8K range. Find the right person, that's the key.

Mike

Well post some pics, and let us see. Since you got it that cheap, maybe you should let it go. You can make a few thousand dollars and have it goes towards your swap. I am not sure if you have priced out the LS1 swap and whatever else you plan to do with the car but double your budget and tripple the time. Personally, if I can do it again....I would start from a clean running car even though I still love me car now...lol

Clive

(not another board full of mean people is it ,,, not even a steroid board )

No, not full of mean people. Read the rules and you'll find that the rule about titles is #3. It's right up there at the top because it makes a huge difference when other people go to search for information. That's all.

Read the rules and follow them and you'll find this board full of INCREDIBLY helpful people.

fotos??

Was the car detailed inside and out before you bought it, does it look like it was simply well-maintained and a good detailing would bring some luster back, or does it look like it hasn't gotten a trip to the spa in a year or two, but a good wash/wax and thorough interior cleaning would make it shine like a diamond?

Just curious, on that last question; the answer to that will help us appreciate what we see in the photos a bit more. If its as good as its gonna get, we need to know that, if it seems like there is actually significant room for improvement over the current good condition, then that makes a big difference too.

FWIW, my impression throughout my whole life of being a Z'er was that the 72 240 was in many ways the most desirable year to get: original 240, early enough to avoid certain smog regulation and safety gear, lighter than later vehicles.. I haven't detected much favoring of the 72 model year here on HybridZ, but the classiczcar site may be a different story.

HybridZ mentality== chop it, cut it, weld it, tub it, swap it, fix it, re engineer it, do whatever you want to whatever chassis you have. Basically, the multiplicative inverse of "keep this beauty stock, don't spoil it!" Other places you go will register VERY different opinions on this one; I would tend to lean in the preservation direction myself, IF the car is truly that fine an example. Its 35 years old... none of them are getting any newer, and none are being put IN to the market.

Personally, I would LOVE to get a 72 240 and do a restrained "resto-mod" on it, paint it red, throw some slot mags and a urethane airdam on it, maybe a BRE rear spoiler, drop the bumpers, paint it red, and throw a high comp L in with triple mikunis... keep an r-180, maybe even keep it fourspeed, MAYBE even leave an old AM/FM radio in there if I could find one... BUT that would be my "lil 240" to park next to my big bad turbo 280, with all sorts of frankenswapping done.

There's my sixteen bits.

at home:

240_for_dude_3.jpg

240_for_dude.jpg

240_for_dude_2.jpg

Awful short evidence to work on, but the images he posted were much higher resolution.

I would have to say that this car is certainly a GREAT candidate for the "anal-retentive" restoration effort, but the dollar value of the car as such is truly only going to mount high if there are a great deal of "Excellent" condition items already on the car. What do the doors sound like as they close? That is always a big "subtle" factor for me in determining how "cherry" a car is.

For the record, I was joking earlier when I expressed interest. The car is awesome, but I am about as far away from "the market" as you can get.

I'd say leave it completely alone on the outside, and pump in the V8 on the inside. Nothing better than a stocker (expecially a good, clean stocker) with some hidden muscle.

Doesn't it seem kinda ironic that the guy that owns the most heavily modified exterior S30 I've seen to say, make it a sleeper? :lol:

BTW BlueovalZ, yours is one of the cleanest I've seen and for me a guy that doesn't like wide bodies or heavy body mods (on 99%) cars to like yours means that it's very well executed.

I've even been thinking about a similar tail light treatment for mine, once I get to that stage of modification.

back on topic, that looks pretty clean, but we want the other pictures, the ones that will show just how good it is. ;) The usual rust place pictures.

OK here are some more pics of the rust-less problem areas.

again sorry about the pic type..still tryin to figure out how to download pics from my new 8meg camera.....

so what do you think guys,,, clean for a 72? Still in original datsun orange..like a big pumpkin.

After much thought Im leaning towards Ztherapy SU's and leaving it mostly stock. Maybe some dyna mat and a stereo..will of course hold on to the old relic stereo that is in there now.

camera 039.zip

camera 034.zip

camera 035.zip

camera 042.zip