HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

You might need to replace those check valves with a higher quality Ford, or Toyota replacement part. The check valves in the kit are terrible, nothing like the free flow and complete check that the nicer valves have. Those things are often stuck nearly closed and never actually seal in the other direction. A good valve will flow freely in one direction and check completely with little pressure to seat.

I checked them with my motiv/adapter fittings I had previously used in pressurizing my turbos on the Porsche... They seemed to seal up well. If there's an issue, I'll swap them out... I wrote down the info you provided in your other thread, and will swap them if they don't function well... 10 minute fix.

Mike

So the list is smaller still... I have gauges working properly again. I need to resolve the rear hatch latch mechanism, and I need to find out why this car eats alternators... Need to buy yet another one. Also need to install a stronger throttle spring on the T-body. Also need to provide power to the wiper motor... Somehow I list that... Need to do a new alignment to the car as a number of things have obviously changed since pulling caster out of the front to clear the bodywork. And I need to re-install the fuel cell surround/closeout panel.

Getting there!

Mike

I was off on Friday, But didn't get much done because of this:

0b176692.jpg

Got past the "break-in" miles and was able to actually go out for a fast ride on the new motorcycle with a few competent riders... Wow am I glad I traded the old man rig in for this thing...

and this:

Hailey!

2bdcd7f1.jpg

Hailey with my future daughter inlaw...

192656b6.jpg

Had an ealry Birthday dinner for my kid's fiance, which meant I got to play grampa for a couple of hours... Amazing how much children complete the picture for our lives.

Spent 4 hours yesterday cleaning the shop up. It probably hadn't been completely "Cleaned" for about 90 days. With the foot traffic and project work that's been going on, that is a long time, especially with the level of cutting/grinding/drilling/welding of "stuff" that has gone on since early January.

Also managed to pull the alternator, wire in the data logger power, and find the latch parts for the rear hatch. I'll continue on knocking my short list down over the next couple days... Fortunatly I bought the alternator at an Autozone in Horseheads, NY. when we were at Watkins Glen last year. Getting it covered under warranty shouldn't be a problem. Also got the replacement right front tire in... Idiot at the tire shop trashed a nearly new tire on the bead. Goes to show not just anyone can use a tire machine...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Mike, can you actually use the red tie down/tow loops on the back of your car? I put a set on, really just to make up for the unused holes from my rusty bumper delete, but I'm afraid to use them for fear of bending the car's sheetmetal. I'd love to use them if it is safe.

@RebekahsZ: the holes for mounting the bumper are attached to a bracket that is welded to the hat-section frame "rails" that run on either side of the spare tire depression. The rear panel and a stiffener behind it are very close by. This kind of like a monocoque construction and fairly strong. There's nothing stronger in that area of the car to connect to.

Got another bit of "stuff" worked out on the Zcar tonight. Fixed the charging system on the Zcar. I had to replace the existing bad alternator and remove the Painless Alternator Solenoid. Really happy resolving this issue.

Sidelined for the next few days doing a clutch swap on the M3.

Mike

I failed to mention that I took the car out for a quick and spirited run up the street and back... This thing goes like stink and sticks like Velcro... I'm really excited to get it to the track soonest!!

Mike