HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Got a couple more things done on the punch list...

Cable pull for rear hatch...

29da4fd7.jpg

a7570648.jpg

Battery swap from the beast to the little thin one...

ed08e63d.jpg

94b5fa80.jpg

Tonight I moved the Zcar into the garage attached to our house, since I'll be working on the M3 again this coming weekend. Took a couple shots of the rear hatch cleaned up with body plugs inplace from where the wing was...

66dd9733.jpg

3e5363e5.jpg

Rear end from ground-ish level...

19551f53.jpg

Mike

Took this one this morning before my motorcycle ride...

This is a great angle, just needs to be clearer and brighter.

In the spirit of fun, since you end up doing things over so many times on your Z car, please re-shoot it! :P

Took it out for a brief drive yesterday afternoon. Needed more fuel for the car. Last time I drove it about two weeks ago, I commented that it was going to be "quick". Well I now will change that by saying that traction is going to be hard... getting above 4KRPm the car will break traction without effort... I didn't heat up the hoosiers, but I'll def. need that traction control. Going to go ahead and do a front end alignment so I can drive the car and get the data logged and sent back to Ev. He needs to be able to set some parameters on it so we can then use the TCS.

This thing is going to be a handful on the racetrack! Getting excited...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

To nice today to be trapped in the shop all day, but I did manage to wrap up the wall sections segregating the fuel cell from the driver's compartment. I'll finish off the upper deck over the coming days. Tomorrow morning I need to sneak out in the car and log some data so we can get the Traction Control parameters setup...

Mike

There's been some interest in the whole "fuel filler" neck that I did on the car, so here's a few specific pics... The fuel system has been since replaced with a single filter/pump for the EFI, which works like a champ!

Summit Racing Fuel Can with a JRZ 45 degree neck/flapper roll over setup. If the car turns upside down the flap assembly won't allow fuel to spill out the neck...

Picture042.jpg

PICT0037-1.jpg

The cell has a feed, a return, and a vent roll over valve that vents to a small niple on the underside of the fuel filler neck!

PICT0006-1.jpg

137-1.jpg

The filler cap/neck that is part of the body was originally bought through Racerpartswholesale a very long time ago... I believe Rebco was the label on the box... I think I bought the thing in 1998.

PICT0083-1-1.jpg

Hope this explains some of the setup. I did the initial cut/install and Jamie Taylor did the bodywork/blend/paint. I think it turned out pretty darned well and really gives this Datsun a unique touch... one of many!

Edited by Mikelly

I'm gonna be distracted for a few days wrapping up a few things on the M3 so it can go to its new home in NC. And I'm gonna be distracted getting the car trailer ready for the season and purchasing a new (to me) Porsche...

That said, I am going to wrap up the windshield wiper wiring and button up the hardware on the fuel cell surround. First event of this season is May 18-20 at VIR with PCA. I'm taking the Datsun... Go big or go home...

Mike :lol:

Not a good day with the Zcar... For some reason the charging system still isn't charging the battery. Took it for a drive this afternoon and by the 3rd mile, the car was having "issues" due to electrical drain on the system. I don't quite understand what the hell is going on with this damned thing... 3 alternators later, still can't seem to figure this one out... I mean really, it's a single wire and power wire... On top of that, the car has a BAD shake in the steering at about 75mph... And ontop of everything else, the data logger isn't recording data. I'm pretty sure this is something I'm doing wrong, but yea, just another brick to the load...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Not a good day with the Zcar... For some reason the charging system still isn't charging the battery. Took it for a drive this afternoon and by the 3rd mile, the car was having "issues" due to electrical drain on the system. I don't quite understand what the hell is going on with this damned thing... 3 alternators later, still can't seem to figure this one out... I mean really, it's a single wire and power wire... On top of that, the car has a BAD shake in the steering at about 75mph... And ontop of everything else, the data logger isn't recording data. I'm pretty sure this is something I'm doing wrong, but yea, just another brick to the load...

Mike

I feel your pain. Was going over a few loose ends and making track debut (shakedown) this coming week, not really hot laps, anyway checked off some minor things to pass tech. Then I noticed that the welds in the ceiling of the roll cage have hairline fractures. Since I wasn't in the mood to tear the skin off the roof I had the old one removed and a new one installed. The guys at Robinson Racing did an incredible job on the new cage. I'll post some pic's over on my thread. I now have no car for the opening of AMP for members this weekend. I decided that I needed to get out so I've rented a World Challenge Corvette just to get some seat time. That's pretty desperate...........

Keep your chin up.

I also wanted to talk to you about the new battery........When we installed the no weight race battery in my car I had to keep it on a trickle charger ALL the time and it really didn't have the amps to restart the car if I stalled it, and in the pits with this clutch its pretty easy to stall. I dont want to spend $800 or more on one of the no weight high - high end ones. I was just thinking that I had to go with a red top. It might not have anything to do with it, but try your old (optima) battery and see if it helps.

Matt