HybridZ

ZG flares or not???

I'm in no way a hard core keep it stock kind of a guy, but the idea of cutting my rear fender wells is a kind of out of the question. I just can’t bring myself to it. Front fenders can be replaced so big deal.

Anyway, Zgads old car that I bought and destroyed had these beautiful HRE 245/45/16 wheels but all four corners were cut to accommodate and flares. I know it would look better with flares but does this look that bad or silly?

Otherwise I’m stuck with the last photo, which isn’t bad at 15” but needs to have black centers.

z13.JPG

z25.JPG

z33.JPG

z42.JPG

z52.JPG

z62.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To flare or not to flare, that is the question, and one I'm also dealing with. There are so many nice cars on both sides of the fence. I had to roll my fenders to get my wheels to clear. I think you have a choose, flares or differant wheels, there going to rub.

I'm glad to see others in the same dilemma. My car is almost 100% rust free with minor body work which has held ne back from doing the flares. I love the look and I hope to put big enough meat under there to fill them, but yet I hesitate. I have already shaved off the rear bumper, but I stop to think about the ZG flares. If I get the 17X9.5 Rotas I won't have a choice. It will still will be tough to start cutting. I know in the end I will like them and it's really about what your perspective on how it looks!

I like flares, but what you've got already looks pretty good to me. I think flares might make it look different, but not that much better.

Have you considered painting the inside of the wheel-well black. It might reduce the contrast between the tire and the car, making the wheel appear to stand out less. It might make the back end look a little beefier as well... I'm sure some of the photoshop wiz's here could show you what it would look like

Have you considered painting the inside of the wheel-well black. It might reduce the contrast between the tire and the car, making the wheel appear to stand out less. It might make the back end look a little beefier as well... I'm sure some of the photoshop wiz's here could show you what it would look like

Yes, most definitely will be painted. It's amazing how the camera pics up on things. The paint job is for crap on the car. It's a 10 footer job.

At first I wanted to flare my Z. I bought the right offset to work with my flares.

After mounting the wheels and realizing the flares were inevitable I thought long and hard. Even with original paint and perfect wheel well arches I decided to sell the rear wheels and not to flare.

4909235637.jpg

4909235538.jpg

I ended up getting two more sizes to have the same all around.

29919345822.jpg

If you decide to flare do it right and protect that paint. Go with something like a rubber insert with a threaded center sleeve. POR-15 the holes well and use stainless fasteners.

Good Luck,

At first I wanted to flare my Z. I bought the right offset to work with my flares.

After mounting the wheels and realizing the flares were inevitable I thought long and hard. Even with original paint and perfect wheel well arches I decided to sell the rear wheels and not to flare.

I ended up getting two more sizes to have the same all around.

29919345822.jpg

If you decide to flare do it right and protect that paint. Go with something like a rubber insert with a threaded center sleeve. POR-15 the holes well and use stainless fasteners.

Good Luck,

Can you please tell me what the specs are on your wheels now? I'm in the market for some watanabes and yours look just perfect on the car. Thanks

Jeff, they look like different wheels anyway from front to rear, at least different center caps and color.

If you decide to get rid of them and go for new let me know I am redoing a 280 now that I am going to put flares on and I will need wider wheels.

Tom

Jeff, I'll have 2 more HRE's available (was using them as my rear drag wheels) in just a couple of days if you choose to stay with them... if you choose to sell the HRE's, please inform the new owner that I have 2 more, as well as a third NIB parts wheel which has a different offset from the other wheels.

Tough choice to make, but I like the flare... just my .02

I say go with zg flares. I think they look great, and if you don't, there are certainly other types of flares out there. I hate the look of tires coming out way past the car. Reminds me of those hoopty pickups you see... you know, the old datsun or toyota pickups, lowered, with 13"x7" rims, with 5" tires on them, stretched out like a skinny pregnant chick.

sorry. maybe took that one a little far, but at any rate, I think you should go with flares. zgs are cheap, look great, not to mention they'd help the rubbing problem you're likely to have.