HybridZ
G.I.jonas

Subaru EG33 + My car!

Just thinking about. Wouldn't be easier to just get a rwd tranny from any make and making an adaptor plate or modding the bell housing?
Sure.But it seems to me that there must be something about the rx7 that makes it fairly easy.Now that i have seen multiple posts regarding this being done i am definitely going to put my attention there.Those transmissions aren't that hard to find and there is no doubt that they are more than strong enough.

What i need to find out i whether it would be easier to modify the rx7 bell housing to fit the eg block or use the subaru bell housing and modify it to fit the rx7 trans?

Oh,and good finds there Firm!!!

Well regarding the AWD system...

Ahh you know I'm just kidding.

I think your best option will be converting the subie system to be RWD only. I'd imagine it'd survive a Z car's weight as long as you weren't putting HUGE sticky tires on it... Are you? (kind of a stupid question I know, it should be more a question of when)

The only downside, isn't the subie transmission going to be kinda big and heavy being an AWD design tranny? One of my best friends just bought a STI (first year in the US, was that 04' or 05'?). I can't wait to get to his shop so I can see it on a lift. Thing MOVES amazingly well, though the motor feels way rougher than I'd have thought it'd be. Kinda nice though.

For this entire thread, I was thinking that the WRX engines were transverse. Than last night I realized that they are longitudinal.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4487

Not sure how much of that is dedicated to the AWD system, but the 5sp definately looks fairly narrow, but long.

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/7338_1.JPG

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/0943_10mg.jpg

Just looking at the transmission internals, it looks like the bottom right is the output for the FWD, and the bottom left is the RWD bit. All on the same shaft. Besides snaping or de-splining the output shaft, what link links might there be with a RWD converted transmission?

Yes, it has the extra bulk of the AWD component, but it doesn't appear to add too much. If the RX7 transmission takes alot of custom parts to work, a RWD conversion might be a good way to go.

I think your best option will be converting the subie system to be RWD only. I'd imagine it'd survive a Z car's weight as long as you weren't putting HUGE sticky tires on it... Are you? (kind of a stupid question I know, it should be more a question of when)

Yes i will have huge sticky tires.In case you didnt notice i am the same guy who widened his car by 3" per side :-)

Im pretty sure the rx7 thing is where im going to start my research,at this point i have very little faith in the sube trans holding up after conversion.Most people who do this do it to drift and tire spinning isn't too hard on a tranny.That and i have a friend with an older souped up wrx and he has managed to noodle the input shaft on the same trans i would be using with only 265 hp - now picture two extra cylinders,sticky tires,turbos,and the fact that all torque has to escape via the rear rather than to all 4 in normal form:rolleyes:

There are quite a few guys in the Subie crowd that have switched over to a RWD platform. From the content of your posts, I assume you want a manual transaxle? If not, a quick search gave me this... Adapter Plate I have a few more links to convert to a manual and automatic transaxle, but there on my home machine. I will post some more information later today/tomorrow...

You might want to phone them up and see if there is a reason why it couldn't work with a Muncie, or any other SBC transmission.

And if you have the ability to, make your own :D

Depends on how much they want, they have already done all the work on it.

EDIT

What sort of custom parts would you possibly need for a manual? Flywheel and associated bits?

EDIT

What sort of custom parts would you possibly need for a manual? Flywheel and associated bits?

That part is easy,its all the same as any ej,meaning i can use WRX stuff :-)

Edit* Unfortunately i am having seconds thoughts on this lol.I have been thinking on this a while and the problem im seeing now is steering linkage :-(.It seems that for this to work i would have to run a steering shaft over the top of the motor could be done - just another one of those not exactly bolt on problems.I prefer to do things the hard way and i like to pioneer stuff but the car has been idle for a long time and i would like something not too ridiculous as i still have a lot of other crap to do as well.All things will be weighed first to see if its worth starting.

They probably suggest the TH400, because that's what the customer was using, so they know it works with that combination.

It would also work equally as well with a TH350, and 700R4, hell throw the 4L60, 4L60E and 4L80E in there as well.

I could see it working with SBC pattern manuals as well, as I'm sure there is an adaptor between the Subie crank and the what looks to be a SBC flexplate, so you could likely bolt a SBC flywheel onto that, which now opens the possibility of trannies WIDE open, Liberty, Borg Warner (TKO? ;) ), among other VERY strong trannies. Lenco? haha, that would be sweet, clutchless manual FTW!

This is the angle I'll likely have to go with my proposed engine, since I will be looking at using a TKO (at this point), which doesn't offer the bellhousing pattern that I need. Adapting anything to a GM or Ford pattern will open up more possible tranny optiuons than you could believe.

There just aren't too many AWD combinations available, at least not in manual versions using the SBC bellhousing pattern. I know AWD is not in the scope of this project, but I just wanted to mention that tidbit.

Steering would be one of the easier parts to deal with in this conversion.

If it were me doing this, I wouldn't try to go over the engine, I'd go under the driver side head.

Without setting the engine in place and only approximating the hight of that head, seeing as the centerline of the engine will be higher than a SBC conversion or even the original Datsun I6, using the original scooby oil pan. You could likely get away with lowering the firewall end of the steering column, so that the end is placed below the bottom of the head. The other end of the column would come up a bit but a spacer and the use of a smaller steering wheel could place it back where it's comfortable, using the original steering column. I think I'd nix the original column though and go for something with tilt, like a GM column from a late '80s or early '90s Cavalier (might be a bit short), or similar years S-series pick-ups. F-bodies of similar vintage would also allow you to shorten the steering column to the exact length needed, as I'm sure those would be a bit long.

I'm almost wondering as I sit here, if the bottom of the head might actually be above the frame rails, and even less modification might be neededs than previously thought. IIRC the CL hight difference was around 4" between a Scooby (EJ series was it?) and a SBC. How much hight is there between where the bottom of the pan would safely sit and the top of the frame rail? I'm sure that if the clearance isn't already there, that it might only take dropping the frame rail a few inches, behind the crossmember attachment point, back to the firewall, with the TC rod attachment point being sunk into the frame rails (to keep the same relative geomtry in the existing suspension). I would do this with new tube, of course, just to make that clear, might as well replace the entire frame rail if you're going that far, but just thinking about possible fitment solutions. I could see that working for the 4cyl versions, the 6 might be too long to keep the stock style crossmember.

According to the "Z virtual tape measure", ther eis only about 7" difference between the bottom of the firewall and the top of the frame rail.

p><p>Now the oil pan will hang lower than the firewall, by a few inches, it doesn

Hmm, it looks like the distance between the bottom of the head and the bottom of the oil pan might not be as much as I remembered, though it's not explicity defined.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/rontyler/imprezaenginesize.jpg' alt='imprezaenginesize.jpg'>

I still think that a frame rail could be built below the heads, and possibly above (this is loosly the same idea as a motorcycle, where the frame surrounds the sides of the engine on many bikes. Some use a removable lower member, to allow "easy" removal of the engine).

As you already know you can take a wrx transmission and weld the center diff to make it rwd. The problem is the stock 5 speed transmissons can only take roughly 300 whp. Some people have made them live at higher power levels but it's only a quick shift away from exploding. If you want to use a subaru trans, find a 6 speed from an STi. They are expensive but MUCH stronger than the 5 speeds.

Edit* Unfortunately i am having seconds thoughts on this lol.I have been thinking on this a while and the problem im seeing now is steering linkage :-(.It seems that for this to work i would have to run a steering shaft over the top of the motor could be done - just another one of those not exactly bolt on problems....

Don't give up Jonas. Look at all the support you have going in this thread. Steering shafts can be rerouted, (Dave Lums VG30DETT 510, http://www.datsuns.com is good example as are a few other projects I've seen here in the past).

Then I want to see the EG33 in your Suby wagon too! (Blaze the trail for my Suby wagon EG33... :wink: )

Build it!!!! BUILD IT!!!! BUILD IT!!!

If you build your frame rails over the motor then you can drop the engine and tranny right onto the ground and drag them out from under tha car. Much better IMO than the other way...

Steering is easy. Look at the modification MarcG did to have his steering clear his VH45 with stock headers in his 240Z.

Don't give up Jonas. Look at all the support you have going in this thread. Steering shafts can be rerouted, (Dave Lums VG30DETT 510, www.datsuns.com is good example as are a few other projects I've seen here in the past).

Then I want to see the EG33 in your Suby wagon too! (Blaze the trail for my Suby wagon EG33... :wink: )

Build it!!!! BUILD IT!!!! BUILD IT!!!

Thanks,i really am impressed with the interest here i really do think its doable,however i learned today that the customer now wants the spare engine back :-(.The reason i started thinking about this is because it was a free engine!

Paul,i dont think my wagon needs one of these engines after driving the svx,my hill climb experiences can get scary enough with 1.8 power :-D.I will be going 2.2 this summer though.

I'll post back once i know for sure,maybe he will sell it cheap.