HybridZ

600hp??????

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is how does somebody build and engine like that, regardless of what it really puts out, without becoming a member on hybridz.org along the way?

people have been building 400 horsepower Z-cars for FAR longer than hybridZ has been around (including some of our more illustrious members here) so the simple fact that he is not known here means nothing. I've never seen pete brock post here either, yanno?

if the 1970 chassis is straight, in good shape, and rust free, and it has a forged crank and good internals, and a good turbo and exhaust manifold (we're about to break through with mind bogglingly better intake manifolds anyhoo) AND an acceptable standalone EFI (I didnt see him mention any branding on it, he seemed impressed that it was DISTRIBUTORLESS and not that it was wolf3d/MS/HAltech/whathaveyou) then $8K doesnt seem to steep.. even IF this vehicle gets thrown onto a dyno and hits 450, even 350 horse.. the potential is there and parts have been bought. IF the head, the pistons, the injectors, the exhaust manifold, and the engine management is all up to par, then this car couldn't be TOO far from getting over 500, and it sure COULD be capable of more.

Granted, the CL ad is one that rings alarm bells left and right, but if I Were looking to find a half finished project car I would CERTAINLY take a look at this vehicle... if you can get a detailed idea what pistons are in it from him, and find the rest out for yourself.. you never know what you might find. IT CERTAINLY doesn't seem to be the type of deal that will sell immediately.. some people will NEVER understand that craigslist is the last place to play the scheisty salesman. :rolleyesg

...some people will NEVER understand that craigslist is the last place to play the scheisty salesman. :rolleyesg

Daeron, you wouldn't believe what has been going on in the PDX craigslist lately:

• A guy tried selling an infant baby on CL and was quickly arrested
  • Two people burglarized someone's house and made a spoof CL posting that everything in the guy's house was free to take (to "cover" their tracks!, lol)

I've heard of people selling their virginity on ebay, but now the webmasters watch ads more closely. Still, if you want something that's illegal to be sold on ebay, you can always buy a bag of sand for a couple grand with that item as the free bonus. Or you can buy a mystery item, which is a box covered in question marks, full of the most expensive world class packing peanuts no doubt. Better yet, buy a home depot gift card for one buck less than it's preloaded amount and cash in on the savings next time you need a reciprocating saw. Yeah, I think ebay has cl beat in terms of craftiness.

That's a good quote by Daeron. Cl is like the newspaper love ads where everyone's pretending not to be desperate. If you don't get something for at least as low as half what they originally listed it for, you probably got gipped. Although, I'm sure this car is worth at least 5k if'n it gets even 350hp.

Anyone know what cage that is? I see it is a bolt together one, and realize it is not nhra or scca legal, but I need something to somewhat protect me against the idiots on the road. Any Ideas?

I'm pretty sure that is the Autopower cage. I remember the funky door bars had a weird bend like that to attach to the main hoop that is bolted on 1/2 way up the fenderwell.

I've heard of people selling their virginity on ebay, but now the webmasters watch ads more closely.

I've sold my virginity on ebay twice now. The second time it was half price. :icon45:

Shucks, you beat me to it. I was going to say, "Damn, I Missed it!"

That's a good quote by Daeron.

not that this guy ISNT full of crap! but to say that its unbelievable to have a 600hp l28et is crazy.. being born and raised in japan, it wasn't THAT uncommon to see 500-600hp l28et's on the streets of japan.. its not hard but the price of parts here in the states is JUST FREAKIN CRAZY!! and for a car as popular as the fairlady the aftermarket isn't as big as it should be.. my friend just got back from okinawa two weeks ago and told me that they still have parts ON THE SHELF for old corolla ae-86's... And as for the fact that no one has ever seen him post here on hybridz.org...... seriously start thinking outside of your soapbox. there are plenty of people around the world and in the states that have enough experience to build a pretty awsome z without the help of the internet, let alone a forum... anyways this car does look like it needs some work and the ride height looks kinda high but lower doesn't always mean better, especially with a car designed to be as high as our z's are stock. the engine doesn't look THAT bad it just doesn't have that show car shine on it that everyone is used to.. def a sleeper if it has anything over 500hp

I'm kinda thinking that part about being a member of hybridz wasn't supposed to be taken very seriously.

Besides for all we know, the dude is a member--he just isn't looking for threads of his own car for sale. There are 12000 of us, and I've only met like a dozen of you key players so far myself.

not that this guy ISNT full of crap!

Do you know the guy?

but to say that its unbelievable to have a 600hp l28et is crazy.. !

Nobody said it was, several times. We all know a 600HP L28ET can be done, it's just very uncommon in the states, and most of the high HP L series motors in the USA are well known. But that's a gross generalization, and I understand there will always be exceptions.

being born and raised in japan, it wasn't THAT uncommon to see 500-600hp l28et's on the streets of japan.. its not hard but the price of parts here in the states is JUST FREAKIN CRAZY!!!

Again... already been said, and I think we all agree on that around here.

and for a car as popular as the fairlady the aftermarket isn't as big as it should be.. my friend just got back from okinawa two weeks ago and told me that they still have parts ON THE SHELF for old corolla ae-86's...!

Hahahaha, you kidding me? The AE-86 part support is NOTHING like the support of the Z cars in the USA OR Japan. The 86' is still VERY popular for tuning and there's STILL people making aftermarket parts for them, in much more variety and quantity than Z cars. The drift/touge craze is helping them along nicely.

And as for the fact that no one has ever seen him post here on hybridz.org...... seriously start thinking outside of your soapbox. there are plenty of people around the world and in the states that have enough experience to build a pretty awsome z without the help of the internet, let alone a forum... !

I think most of us here would agree that there's plenty of fast L series out there we don't know of. The real question is, how well does he know of hybridZ. How much info did the engine builder get from here, if any?

def a sleeper if it has anything over 500hp

I think any S30 Z car with anything more than 300hp on tap is a monster in disguise.

We all seem to agree that he's got some good indications of some good potential, we're just doubting the HP claims because of the AD and the seller's attitude. If big phil sold his car he'd have a mountian of parts listed in the ad and probably a dyno graph to boot. Why doesn't this guy have a dyno? Selling a 8k+ car you can afford to go get the thing dyno'ed.

I call BS on his claim because he seems to be hidding some details, or just plain doesn't know anything about cars.

Sorry to rip your post apart like that, it just seems you were getting nearly violent in manner when nearly everything you posted we'd all agree with, already knew, or had already been spoken of here.

This seems pretty sketch. 600HP is getting pretty hardcore, and generally somewhere along the line between stock and that kind of performance, most people work on aesthetics. Whatever suspension setup it might have, it's working against one hell of a center of gravity. Also, I can't feature being willing to part with an investment like that for 8 grand, either. If he's being straight, he's dropped some serious money into that thing.

nah guys i wasn't trying to come off as being angry at all, all i was saying was it is possible and just because something "looks" fast doesn't always mean it is. looks only tell half of the story. and i know we all know this but this guy is prob trying to get away with something but at the same time like someone said b4, he might not know what he has.

anyways sorry if it seemed as if i came off as being negative

I don't know if looks can be used at all if you're talking about outside aesthetics, because it's always completely unreliable as a guideline (ricerockets??).

I'd say that being engine savvy correlates to spending money on the exterior is also one of those generalizations. I've actually always said half jokingly that I wanted a car that looked like a POS but was a crazy sleeper because to me that would be pretty cool--for one, all the money goes in the engine and nobody is the wiser, secondly, it's even more embarrassing when you smoke somebody. ;) Plus, fierce rust buckets are just hilarious. :P

Dont think anyones mentioned this yet- But 600 whp is FAR different from 600 crank hp.

Arent there people on Hz making 3-400 whp with realtively affordable mods and bolt ons with stock blocks? Maybe the guy meant close to 600 crank. If you figure for a moderat 20% drivetrain loss youd only need in the 480 whp range to make 600 crank. Considering what people do with fairly stock blocks, is that too far-fetched of a number for someone with those manifolds, a stand alone, that turbo, that huge ass fmic, and forged goodies?

ALso from what ive seen when youre making numbers close to that, a little head work seems to go a LONG way, I believe chris' car is a perfect testimate to this. Should ask the guy if theres been any head work. With those mods hes listed i wouldnt be surprised to find at the very lease some porting and polishing. Hoepfully he didnt mention it already and ive just missed it.. hah.

I'm not thinking it's possible to get 480hp without modifying the internals, specifically forged pistons, but I could be wrong. You'd have to define affordable mods. Halfway decent turbo setups for that much power sure aren't cheap. I imagine you could get past 300 before turbo work though.

I almost forgot that people are still calling hp crank hp, just because it's pretty much a pointless consideration and I've all but taken it out of my dictionary. To me hp=whp unless otherwise noted. It is a good point that he could in fact be doing that though. What a waste that would be. :sour:

Dont think anyones mentioned this yet- But 600 whp is FAR different from 600 crank hp.

I'll chip in that as far a Mr. Dream states, I personally attended the Bosch Dyno Session when RS Okinawa ran 444Kw to the rear wheels on their twin turbo 74 Fairlady Z-S...in 1986. No distributorless ignition, no EFI. An HKS Type 1 Surge Tank, OER 50mm carbs, HKS Twin Power CDI on a freakin' DISTRIBUTOR!

But that being said, I think the ad is more hype than truth. Receipts may prove me wrong, but I know I'm not the only one that has seen some easy bolt-on additions bump a tired 160K+ mile junkyard L28ET to 400HP...for a while.

Personally, I don't believe anything about 'internal modifications' unless someone has a sealed crankcase by a sanctioning body, or lets me talk to the engine builder with receipts in hand.

I'll chip in that as far a Mr. Dream states, I personally attended the Bosch Dyno Session when RS Okinawa ran 444Kw to the rear wheels on their twin turbo 74 Fairlady Z-S...in 1986. No distributorless ignition, no EFI. An HKS Type 1 Surge Tank, OER 50mm carbs, HKS Twin Power CDI on a freakin' DISTRIBUTOR!

But that being said, I think the ad is more hype than truth. Receipts may prove me wrong, but I know I'm not the only one that has seen some easy bolt-on additions bump a tired 160K+ mile junkyard L28ET to 400HP...for a while.

Personally, I don't believe anything about 'internal modifications' unless someone has a sealed crankcase by a sanctioning body, or lets me talk to the engine builder with receipts in hand.

kinda glad someone else on here has seen what kind of potential the good ol' l-series motors have.. the japanese are pretty good at squeezing horsepower out of anything

• 1 month later...