HybridZ

Do you ever get sick of your car?

SSflyer

I'm just about there. The thought actually went through my head this week that it's time to sell the car (LS1/280Z). I've enjoyed a whole year of driving it, and the attention it gets is pretty cool too, but it looks like I'm going to have to dump another wad of cash into it, again. It's registration renewal time and that means another round of trying to get it to pass smog. When I built the engine I made the mistake of putting a more aggressive cam in it, and coupling that with the LT headers makes it just about impossible to get it to pass. It failed miserably on the first test this week (four times the limit on idle hydrocarbons), so I'm going to try cleaning the O2's and the MAF, and maybe bumping the idle up a little, but if it still won't pass I'll most likely pull the cam out and go back to stock. That means at least a hundred bucks for parts and another $500 tune. I guess that the second most common cry, right after "While I'm at it" is to say "Just one more thing will make it right". So, am I the only one who contemplates bailing on a 99% complete car?

You're not the only one. I've thought of selling my RBZ about a hundred times this year and it is also almost done. Someone needs to start a support group for people who are frustrated with their project cars. The thing that I have found that helps me is to just let the car sit for a while. That might not work for you but something will happen that will get you motivated. Hang in there.

Brandon

I know what you mean. I have gone through this several times over the years. I was within an inch of buying a used viper because I had broken the car again. Though to be honest, I just couldn't part with the Z, and a viper and a Z would break me, so I just dumped my viper down payment into my Z so I could hang with a viper. My Z looks better anyways.

These cars are money pits, you need to know that ahead of time and just learn to live within it. I'd love to have a 500hp engine, but I can't afford a new car that comes with 500hp, so what makes me think I can afford to increase the performance of my Z to match a 500hp car now. Sure it would cost less, but I need to be realistic, and have a good performing sports car, AND not be forced to live on kraft dinner, and PB&J sandwiches.

Create a budget. A lifetime budget for your Z. What I mean is a yearly budget, because once the car is built, you still have to maintain it, and if you have drastically increased the performance, wear and tear on your performance parts will cost more, faster wear and tear etc...

Scott.

me to, me to. I get sick of this thing some times, and think of selling it. But I always come back. I admit I want a late 90's Supra pretty bad. I've even gone to look at some. $25,000 for a stock TT Supra, who cares. I paid more for my truck that I never drive. I don't no, its running great now. But there is so much it still needs, paint, forged pistons, suspension, 300zx TT tranny, conversion plate......etc, etc, etc.

I just get sick of not having enough money and time to do what I want to my car.

I'll have a nice glass of wine, pull the cover off in the garage and just sit inside and enjoy it.

I have a lot of nostalgia with my dad having one when I was little. Lost my first finger nail closing the door on my finger with his Z!

want to talk about getting sick of a car ive owned my first zx for almost 2 years never drove it needs to much help

my new zx again have never drove and already have way to much money into cage, tranny, radiator, goodies etc etc its worth it though i do agree just when it comes to mind to sell it go sit in it you wont be able to after that

Plot2.jpg

Sounds like you're running a bit rich. Forget swapping the cab back, forget retuning the thing.

Spend the money on getting a CAT put in, and have a test pipe made to replace it when you're "off road....". I have no clue how the AZ smog test is done, but if you know an operator that's helping you pass, then having a simple fuel pressure regulator can be a huge help on getting the car to pass. Unhook the O2 so the ECU doesn't enter close loop, then use the fuel pressure to control mixture at the RPM you have to hold for the smog test.

Also make sure the engine is HOT when you test. I'd recommend taking it on some HARD driving before testing. High temps will cause higher NOx, but I don't think they test for that in AZ do they? And if they do NOx tends to be an easier gas to pass on unless you have tons of carbon buildup.

Then simply put everything back to how it was when you're done.

Don't sell it because of smog. Be happy you're in a state you even have hope to get a V8 Z smogged at all. If it passed before you can get it to pass again.

Hahahaha The thought had never crossed my mind until I started hanging around here now it seems like its just one frustration after another (still totally worth it though) I was running a really simple carb setup but then it was "hey! I should do a turbo swap" then "hey I should do megasquirt" and then "hey I need a bigger turbo" and on and on

Hybridz - The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.

in the 4.5 years ive had my 240sx ive contemplated selling it sooooooooooooooooooo many times its rediculous, and even when i bought the Z recently, i thought about selling it because of all the rot.

chip up dude, it's never easy, but its SO AWESOME when it works!

I just said forget it, my 260z wouldn't pass at idle no matter what, high HC. When AZ passed the collector car exemption on passing emissions, I got Hagerty Insurance on the Z, took my insurance papers to DMV and got my plates.

As far a being burned out on having my Z, I think of getting rid of it about once a week. I really do not drive it that much, I have put maybe 500 miles on it in the last 6 years and is just taking up space in the garage. Then I think about what I would do if I didn’t have it to tinker with, of course that will all stop when the temps go the HELLAZONA range. Of course I will not be driving the car either at those temps.

I did find out that weak spark will cause High HC, one of these days I am going to put a MSD multi spark on the Z.

Here's another good read:

http://home.att.net/~CapriClubChicago/tips/SmogFaq5.html

HC is caused from unburnt fuel, so yes SHO-Z, weak spark can lead to high HC.

Get new plugs, don't run a gap too large, run high octane gas, retard the timing (not sure why this works, but you get lower HC this way on almost all cars), and do anything else you can find/think of to get a hotter spark. Or like i said earlier... if you're running rich that'll do it too. Changing your oil might not be a bad idea either.

This very site makes me want to keep my car. as well as makes me want to get rid of it.

so I just ignore both and pretend it's not mine. probably why it's surrounded by an unfinished work table and 3 hutches that ive had trouble giving away for FREE.

Never. Ever. Last year I drove the car 25,000 miles, this year should be closer to 35,000. I've never had a car that is so much fun and just a blast to be behind the wheel. In fact, my wife begged me to buy a 350z and after a test drive I turned her down. Who needs a 300 hp baralounger? My car is my baby, I'd never give her up.