HybridZ

L6 Turbo Header Group Buy

JSM

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay well honestly, I haven't made much progress in the design. I've mostly been doing research and trying to figure out how to accomplish this. The flange was not difficult at all to draft in 3D, but as far as the runners' paths go, they are extremely difficult (at least for me) to draft in 3D. Plus, just drafting is not enough; we would have to describe each runner's 3D path in terms of bend radii and such so that SSAC could build it. It would be extremely difficult to ensure accuracy in describing a 3D path. So, at this point, I'm thinking we have a few options.

First, I could contunue designing the header, but instead of 3D drafting, I would build an actual mockup that we could send to SSAC. This would take me a while to complete, and it sounds as if some of you here are on tight schedules. So this might not be the best option for everyone here.

Second option would be to buy the header that VinhZXT has offered to us and have SSAC replicate it with certain modifications available to us (turbo flange, wastegate, etc.). This could probably be done in short order and would be better for those who are looking to buy in the very near future.

I guess it really is up to the masses since, in order to have a successful group buy, we need to have a lot of people involved. So, everyone chime in and let it be known what you think should be done.

All, I would be willing to buy VihnZXT's header outright and send it to SSAC, but I would want some financial assistance for the trouble and risk. I figure if everyone kicks in some dough we will have great header template to build from.

Okay well honestly, I haven't made much progress in the design. I've mostly been doing researchrying and tto figure out how to accomplish this. The flange was not difficult at all to draft in 3D, but as far as the runners' paths go, they are extremely difficult (at least for me) to draft in 3D. Plus, just drafting is not enough; we would have to describe each runner's 3D path in terms of bend radii and such so that SSAC could build it. It would be extremely difficult to ensure accuracy in describing a 3D path. So, at this point, I'm thinking we have a few options.

First, I could contunue designing the header, but instead of 3D drafting, I would build an actual mockup that we could send to SSAC. This would take me a while to complete, and it sounds as if some of you here are on tight schedules. So this might not be the best option for everyone here.

Second option would be to buy the header that VinhZXT has offered to us and have SSAC replicate it with certain modifications available to us (turbo flange, wastegate, etc.). This could probably be done in short order and would be better for those who are looking to buy in the very near future.

I guess it really is up to the masses since, in order to have a successful group buy, we need to have a lot of people involved. So, everyone chime in and let it be known what you think should be done.

All, I would be willing to buy VihnZXT's header outright and send it to SSAC, but I would want some financial assistance for the trouble and risk. I figure if everyone kicks in some dough we will have great header template to build from.

That's a good idea. I'll throw in some cash if the price isnt too high.

This does sound like the best option for getting these things made. The design looks like a decent compromise of the features we are looking for.

Nigel

VinhZXT and I have struck a deal for the header. It will cost me $800.00 delivered to my door. We now need to determine how much money is needed from the group so I come out even.

Here's what I will need funds for:

1) Shipping with insurance from my zip 97045 to SSAC @ 27522.

2) Shipping with insurance from SSAC @ 27522 to 97045

3) True-up for delta between cost of VinhZXT header and group buy cost. (This will likely need to be estimated once SSAC see's pic's of the template header)

The risk for me is two fold. I have no idea what condition the header is in and what it will take to make it reliable and usable. (Like a new SSAC header would be) I may need to have the flange's surfaced and welds repaired....etc. Second is the shipping to and from SSAC. I will not worry about this too much but I want to make it clear to SSAC that this loaner header needs to be sent back to me in the same condition as they received it.

Once the group agree's to the costs I will accepts funds by snail mail or PayPal. I will post a running ledger of deposits and when we have the full amount we all agreed to I will ship to SSAC. Thoughts?

Thanks for doing this for the Group.

One thing you may want to do first is do a mock up to ensure we want to go forward. Not sure if you have motor to try it on but measurements w/ stock parts would be great.

Keep us posted and thanks again.

VinhZXT and I have struck a deal for the header. It will cost me $800.00 delivered to my door. We now need to determine how much money is needed from the group so I come out even.

Here's what I will need funds for:

1) Shipping with insurance from my zip 97045 to SSAC @ 27522.

2) Shipping with insurance from SSAC @ 27522 to 97045

3) True-up for delta between cost of VinhZXT header and group buy cost. (This will likely need to be estimated once SSAC see's pic's of the template header)

The risk for me is two fold. I have no idea what condition the header is in and what it will take to make it reliable and usable. (Like a new SSAC header would be) I may need to have the flange's surfaced and welds repaired....etc. Second is the shipping to and from SSAC. I will not worry about this too much but I want to make it clear to SSAC that this loaner header needs to be sent back to me in the same condition as they received it.

Once the group agree's to the costs I will accepts funds by snail mail or PayPal. I will post a running ledger of deposits and when we have the full amount we all agreed to I will ship to SSAC. Thoughts?

Thanks for doing this for the Group.

One thing you may want to do first is do a mock up to ensure we want to go forward. Not sure if you have motor to try it on but measurements w/ stock parts would be great.

Keep us posted and thanks again.

My car is finally running so I won't be able to take it apart to mock up the header. I will ask some local Z folks if they could help. Stay tuned...

It will cost me $800.00 delivered to my door. We now need to determine how much money is needed from the group so I come out even.

In my opinion, you should be paid full for the header by the group. This way if SSAC mysteriously makes your header disappear your covered. I would not send a thing until you receive at least 90% of the funding.

The other item is, if SSAC can't make it, the group would be refunded any money put in. I think this would be more than fair to everyone as long as you get the header back.

I would also suggest that as people donate, you ask for the 3-5% for the paypal fees.

Update:

The money has been mailed to VinhZXT and should arrive by the end of the week. My guess is the header will be shipped to me the following week and delivered around 8/11. Once I get header I'll do an assessment then mock it up on a local S30 and S130. Some local guys have volunteered their non-running cars so hopefully they will still be available when the time comes. For the mock-up I don't plan on doing a full bolt up of the header and intake manifolds unless it's absolutely necessary. My plan was to install a few bolts then take photo's. Let me know if that will be adequate.

Regarding cost, I will expect to be compensated for the shipping and the delta cost between the group buy price and what it takes to make my header the same quality. It would be a bonus to be compensated for my time, effort and fuel cost as well. I doubt there are enough people participating in the group buy for me to be fully compensated for the total header cost, but of course I'm willing if the majority agrees.

Can someone send SSAC the pictures of the header so we can get a ball park estimate? We need this before asking for funds.

Pics are here:http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=13138&ppuser=7949