HybridZ

L6 Turbo Header Group Buy

JSM

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

I just uploaded several more pictures to the S30 mock-up album. I was able to bolt up a stock L28ET T3 turbo to the header. The header has a T4 flange so I could only use the bottom two bolts. I would think a T3 flange might bring the turbo up a bit from the location in the photos. Also, it's obvious that in the headers current state, that a larger turbo compressor would require the inner fender wall to be modified or the header flange will need to be modified to be closer to the block. The turbine looks like it would clear. I also bolted up an L28ET intake manifold. Not all the pictures are of professional quality but I tried to get every angle possible. There will be no more pictures taken of the S30.

To date, I have no firm options available to photograph the header in an S130. I am willing to keep looking. However, it may take a week or a few months, I don't know for sure. Do you want me to just get the header to SSAC or hold out until I get the S130 pics? I'll do whatever the group decides.

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/jgkurz/L6%20Turbo%20Header/

hey thanks but Im not sure you got the pictures got loaded up.

Hmmmm, not sure what the issue is. The pics are showing up for me. Look in album labeled S30_L6 Header.

NVM. But do you think you could measure the distance between the flange and the inner fender? cause that is looking REALLY tight

It's very tight. For a large turbo the inner fender wall would need to be modified. The simple fix is to have SSAC build the flange closer to the block. Also, I used a T3 turbine for the picture since that's all I had. The header is equipped with T4 flange. If I mounted the T3 on the top two bolts of the T4 flange there would be more clearance from the inner fender wall. The final mount would likely be higher. Picture "S30_L6Header_0020.jpg" should give you the measurements you're looking for. Unfortunately I'm not able to take any more pictures of the S30.

Yeah, the folder with the mounted pictures doesn't show up John.

Go to my main album here: http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/jgkurz/

Then on the left side click on "L6 Turbo Header", then click on "S30_L6 Header"

I'd have to mock it up on an S130 to say for sure. Are you voting to wait for S130 pics before I send to SSAC?

S30_L6Header_0033.jpg

Not all the pictures are of professional quality but I tried to get every angle possible.

I would say you didn't botch the photographs to horribly.....

Wow. What a close fit... It almost appears impossible to fit a downpipe onto the turbo in a few pictures, but other shots make it look not-so-critical. I presume if it were woefully close you would have mentioned something; also, not to forget that with a proper flange the entire center axis of the turbo would be shifted upwards slightly... Still, fitment of larger than stock turbos is likely to be an issue each owner will have to attend to, even if it is just a bit of fender bashing.

Beyond the close tolerances, though... Look at the volume of airpsace in between the exhaust manifold/turbocharger and the intake manifold!!! Am I betraying my NA biased experience, or is that not about twice as much space between intake and exhaust as the stock setup??? It seems that whatever prices paid in close fitment are likely to pay dividends in that regard.

Also, couldn't that proximity to the fender, brake bias/warning light switch thingy, and steering shaft be reduced by rotating the motor a few degrees and dropping the starter side a bit?

The tight fit *may* be an issue in spots, but I think this header just got even better looking :D

I would say you didn't botch the photographs to horribly.....

Wow. What a close fit... It almost appears impossible to fit a downpipe onto the turbo in a few pictures, but other shots make it look not-so-critical. I presume if it were woefully close you would have mentioned something; also, not to forget that with a proper flange the entire center axis of the turbo would be shifted upwards slightly... Still, fitment of larger than stock turbos is likely to be an issue each owner will have to attend to, even if it is just a bit of fender bashing.

Beyond the close tolerances, though... Look at the volume of airpsace in between the exhaust manifold/turbocharger and the intake manifold!!! Am I betraying my NA biased experience, or is that not about twice as much space between intake and exhaust as the stock setup??? It seems that whatever prices paid in close fitment are likely to pay dividends in that regard.

Also, couldn't that proximity to the fender, brake bias/warning light switch thingy, and steering shaft be reduced by rotating the motor a few degrees and dropping the starter side a bit?

The tight fit *may* be an issue in spots, but I think this header just got even better looking :D

Remember the turbo I used in the pictures is a T3 not a T4. The larger T4 flange on the header allows either the T3 top two bolts or the bottom two bolts for mounting. I chose the bottom two for the pics. If the top two are used it would bring the turbo up about a half inch. Fitament will all depend on how SSAC welds the flange. I'd suggest having SSAC move the flange up and in to accommodate the larger compressor housings.

On a different topic, I have to laugh a bit about trying to fit a tuned turbo header in these cars. My header is a compact design that still is tight. Earlier in this thread there were some folks who wanted the group buy header to be tuned with equal length pipes. It's clear to me that you'd have to seriously hack up your car to make that work. :shock:

hmm.. looks like my holset wont fit that puppy.. damn!

It should fit with some minor modifications. The Group Buy header will just need to have the turbo flange moved closer to the block. Also worth considering is that I mounted the T3 in a worst case mounting position and it still has "just enough" clearance. The header has a much larger T4 flange so the bolts don't line up with the T3. It really shouldn't be a big deal to make some design changes. Does the Holset use T4 or T3 flange?

Yeah, that definitely needs to be moved up and back.

Here's a couple of shots of a stock turbo next to my T3/T04B...

tn_full_Image019jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

tn_full_Image020jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

I think most people with hybrid turbos are using the T04E compressor, which is even bigger! I don't want to have to bash my fender in, or rotate the engine to make this thing fit. Plus the turbine looks like it's pretty much touching the brake warning switch. The T04 turbine would never fit. In either case, the brake switch would have to be removed. Maybe this header was designed for an on-center T04 turbine?

As for an equal length header, others have proven it can be done, but there's no way that the turbo is going be located anywhere close to the stock position.

Regardless, it looks like there's room to move the flange to a more suitable location...

Nigel

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

DSC01017.jpg

Just a few pictures of how much bigger the holset is. The only thing i have seen that might make this ok is the fact that the holsets have a much shorter run from the turbo flange to the turbo. if that makes sense. So from the turbo flange to the center of the turbo isnt nearly as long