HybridZ

L6 Turbo Header Group Buy

JSM

Good to know. I will consider putting in a brace later on in the design process. However, we are still at a standstill as far as design goes until we get some measurements. If anyone has a stock manifold, please spend some quality time with your favorite measuring tape and post up your results.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommended the 1 5/8 OD primary with a 1/8" wall. This size will support 700+ bhp and is small enough that bolts will clear properly. This size should also allow us more flexibility to get closer to equal length. I'm in favor of larger primaries if it's possible but it will likely result in a header more like a log manifold. I vote for the second order of business to be complete.

Just to state it again, the Euro Turbo has slightly over 1 5/8" I.D. in the log runners, though the head portion is slightly constricted same as any other stock Nissan Cast Manifold in that area...nothing some burr work couldn't clean out as an example.

I'm suspecting that the stock Euro Turbo will support one honker of an engine with those dimensions.

Slightly O.T., but it's always good to look at what's already been designed rather than proceeding from blank sheets on every aspect.

On the 'one piece' or 'multi-piece' flange issue---I'd suggest the manufacture as a single piece, then after fabrication relief/growth cuts may be done by the owner of the piece to allow for the expansion/contraction that occurs. This is what was done on JeffP's SFP conglomeration... As stated, it should minimize misalignment possibilities.

Hey 78280z hows the planning coming? I dont know if we ever came up with a primary size. I think the size you said would work well. Tony said that was the smallest restriction on the Euro manifold but that is on a log style. where more than one exhaust port is going through that passage. I think that if they all have there own passage that the size will allow more than enough flow for any of our pipe dreams.

Sorry for lack of updates...busy weekend and long hours at work lately, so progress has been a bit slow. Plus, this will be the most difficult part of the design process, so it will probably take me a few weeks. But, I will do my best to get it done ASAP. I'll post updates as it comes along! :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I have been making almost no progress due to continued long hours at work and some software issues. But I did draft up the flange with 1/8" wall thickness of the runners around the port shapes. That got me wondering how it will be possible to make the welds between the flange and the runners in certain places (red circled areas):

welds.jpg

I guess it should work somehow (I took a look at pics of MONZTER's header in posts #55 and #56 http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116979&page=3) although I don't really know much about fabrication practices. So, coming from an engineering background, I just want to make sure that the part I'm designing can actually be built. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I guess it should work somehow (I took a look at pics of MONZTER's header in posts #55 and #56 http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116979&page=3) although I don't really know much about fabrication practices. So, coming from an engineering background, I just want to make sure that the part I'm designing can actually be built. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thats alot of tubing... Wouldn't there be a loss of velosity and heat??? Heat + velosity = fast spooling happy turbo......

the heat is what I think would be the largest loss....

still awsome work..

Drafted up the pieces that will mate the port shape to the tubing and an approximate placement of the turbo flange...

flanges2.jpg

flanges3.jpg

Since I have limited 3d cad experience, it will take me much longer than expected to complete the runners. But, hang in there, it will get done eventually.

Are these turbo headers coming in the near future? Any possible date on delivery? I would like 2 sets if the price is right. I'm building 2 matching cars ( 1 chop top and 1 convertible) both with the IMSA 5 piece kit,G-nose and whale tales. Both cars are turbo with triples and HKS surge tanks. These headers would look great under the hood. Let me know when and price. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Watching this thread with much interest as I need a new turbo manifold!!!!!!

Can we get the turbo mounting flange drilled and taped for an EGT sensor?

If yes put the sensor in from the rear of the flange and or plug it with a 1/8 npt plug!

Just a thought!

HB280ZT