HybridZ

cussing

woldson

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triple post?

I think the whole point is just be civil, respectful, and contribute when posting. Only 3 things really being asked when you get down to it. Not that hard. Shouldn't require an entire thread, alas it is difficult for some at times (myself included).

HybridZ is not a democracy, though something tells me we have good enough members that it would works as one. (NOT suggesting anything here)

We have fine rules that have been well enforced to bring a fine community together. Without the members hybridZ wouldn't be what it is, but that doesn't mean we should all be handed out equal power.

Nobody (certainly not woldson) attacked the moderators in this thread, yet several of them have come out to appoligize for any possible previous behavior that might have been out of line. This shows the amazing character of our moderators and how little we actually appreciate them at times.

Seriously, have you guys BEEN to other message boards. Have you SEEN the kind of crap that goes on? Moderatore death matches including flame throwers, trolls that ruin just about any section, and threads that never stay on topic...

If this is a party then other message boards are a day at the courthouse. They just plain SUCK.

Two thumbs up to HybridZ. I wouldn't mind cussing being allowed, but I certainly don't mind the filters, it makes the guys that try to get around them look kinda childish though. Does it really take less effort to think of ways around a filter than to think of another word?

I have to preface all of this with two statements.

First, I am a word person; I have read at least 5 pages in a book almost every day of my life, lyrical content in music is of utmost importance to me, my lexicon is prodigious, AND I am a four-time scripps howard spelling bee county champ :D

Secondly, the origin of a number of bodily "vulgarities" came out of an historical clusterf!ck. in 1056 (?) William the Conqueror crossed the English channel, and committed the last successful invasion of England. (seriously. That 20 mile wide strip of water has kept everyone out for a thousand years. hardcore, no?) Anyhow, with the Norman Conquest came the Norman Language... the last linguistic influence that pushed late middle english into early modern english. At this point, to continue to use old Anglo phraseology was considered vulgar, simply because the ruling class was a bunch of Normans and the Anglo-Saxons had been reduced to second class citizens. So, Anglo words like s**, piss, and f*** were gradually replaced by "cultured" terms like defecate, urinate, and fornicate (note the latin influence)

In other words, they're only dirty words because of a bunch of Frenchmen a thousand years ago.

In my personal life, I refuse to acknowledge any inherent "dirtiness" in ANY word. Naturally, that is an IDEAL.. If I am standing in an exam room with the veterinarian, holding a clients dog, and there are children in the room.. naturally, I speak with utmost care. However, swearing in an adult setting, on an adult forum (a car-related one at that) is as natural as pissin on a tree to me. If my colorful metaphors and heavy handed use of hairy-knuckled lingo offend anyone, tough titties.

On the OTHER hand, to use language like that directed at an individual, is indicative of disrespect and anger. It doesn't matter WHERE the words came from, using them AT someone (instead of in front of someone) shows anger and contempt; that is part of the definition of those words. you dont scream "f*** ME RUNNING WITH A CHAINSAW" when your lotto numbers miss... you scream it when you just gashed three knuckles open between a wrench and your fenderwell because that stupid brake bleeder was screwed in too tight. Anger.

To me, there is no excuse for directing language like that at an individual on this forum. As has been said, a dispute along those lines is much better handled privately; that shows respect to the other individual and to the public as a whole. At the same time, there is equally no excuse in my mind for imposing strict censorship of words that cannot be used in any circumstances; viz, George Carlin.

Of course, here at the party, the rules of others are the rules of others. I know I am not in the majority regarding these words, so I won't resort to using the extended ASCII characterset to sidestep it (although I WILL get a hearty laugh out of seeing that in such context) and I certainly won't whine about how "the man" is "keeping me down" with this "linguistical oppressivity." (yah those last two arent real words. I'm trying to add some levity. :D)

I'm delivering pizzas for a job right now. Last night, one of my aassistant managers had a bit of a discussion with me, and it came up that he refuses to tolerate "vulgar language" directed at him (he had hung up on a customer on the telephone; LONG story, my manager was a jerk and NOT in the right.) Now, this same manager WILLFULLY has LIED TO MY FACE several times. To me, an untruth is a much fouler statement to come out of my mouth than the phrase "f*** you," and CERTAINLY worse than an idle, indirect F-bomb.....

So, just to restate.. if you have been offended by any language I have used in the past, too bad! I for one will NOT apologize; I self-moderate fairly effectively. On the other hand... IF I directed (or do so in the future) a statement at any individual with malicious language involved, whether it would be allowed on ABC Saturday Night or not...... my humble apologies.

Mr. Carlin said it best... "I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately." I try to lighten the atmosphere here when I can; Braap for one has sent me a few PMs about spilling coffee on his keyboard due to my posts. Words are words.

Intent is far more important than verbage.

large_peace_symbol.gif

I take off for a year and come back to see a very familliar topic.

Some folks you just cant reach. As it is said.

As soon as I drag The Z up here with me I'll hope to be cussing once again. Havent needed any info up till now. But I do enjoy the tool shed every once and a while.

There is a tool born every day huh?

You boys keep up the good work, it is most apreciated.:-)

• 2 weeks later...
I really love seeing that play out. A member gets out of line and other members correct them or tell them to be careful.

I feel differently. I hate when members play the moderator role, feigning righteousness. The mods and admins here do a pretty damn good job without the excess help. I mean really, how many bouncers need to stand in front of the velvet rope? let the mods and admins do their job. The pseudo-mod posts rank as high in my book as the post queens' tidbits, which include but are not limited to things like, "ditto", or "+1", or "bump", or "try search function". Trying too hard to do someone else's job is just as counterproductive as not doing your own job.

Hmmm, there's a difference between being nice and letting people know the rules so that they don't get themselves in trouble, than flat out calling people out because you think they did something wrong.

For the most part here, the people that get told the rules by NON-moderators are normally newer users, so people are just trying to help out.

I know what you're talking about though and I've seen it on other forums. People acting as though they're mods themselves. I've never seen much of that here myself, as most people keep a friendly attitude around here.

I feel differently. I hate when members play the moderator role, feigning righteousness. The mods and admins here do a pretty damn good job without the excess help. I mean really, how many bouncers need to stand in front of the velvet rope? let the mods and admins do their job. The pseudo-mod posts rank as high in my book as the post queens' tidbits, which include but are not limited to things like, "ditto", or "+1", or "bump", or "try search function". Trying too hard to do someone else's job is just as counterproductive as not doing your own job.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah there is a point at which it is obnoxtious, but I was talking about some of the more extreme instances. Take for example after Zartist got banned some friend of his came on and started talking crap about HBZ members and admin. and a bunch of members nicely but firmly got after him and dealt with the issue.

• Administrators
those fücking filters are the shît. :shifty:

…so, you were saying?

Hahahaha...F*** HORSES!!I'd like to meet the Futher Mucker that called it Fashion bug and shove a broom up his A$$!!!!Oh man.. so many quotes.. not enough energy to type.

All right fellas.

We all struggle with exercising self control on occasion, and with some of you, it’s a common theme. When signs of indecent or borderline moral content shows up in a thread, that lack of self control ends up as a dog pile in the gutter. This thread is becoming a perfect example of that. Discussions on topic are fine, including the content of this thread. lighthearted fun is good and acceptable, even within the topic of this thread, though please do make an effort to exercise some common sense and restrain yourself when a thread is on the way or has already hit the gutter, (if you are lacking common sense, I hear eBay is selling it). :lmao: Lack of self control puts you under the Admins microscope, if you know what I mean…

Pushing the envelope for the sake of pushing, will QUICKLY make you and your HybridZ membership a public example to all who read this forum of how we will not hesitate to show you the door. Some of you in this thread are starting to tear the envelope, SAVVY?!?!?!?!