HybridZ

List your L28ET setup.

Update for me...

Engine: 2.9L, N42 block bored to 87mm, 140mm Crower rods, BRP forged pistons, 8.5:1 CR, knife edged crank, shaved P90 with "A" cam, spraybar, turbo/auto oil pump, O-ringed block, ARP head studs, ARP mains, 60mm TB

Turbo: T3/T04e 50 trim 0.63A/R

Intake: 60mm TB with N42 Intake

EFI: 440cc/min injectors, SDS EM-3E, Walbro GL392, Stock fuel tank with sump added

Intercooler: "Medium" NPR, 2.75" I/C plumbing

Downpipe and Exhaust: 2.5" DP to 3" Exhaust. All mandrel bent.

Edited by Drax240z

Update

Engine: L28ET F54 block bored 0.020-in. over (0.5 mm), ITM dished pistons; ARP main studs, rod bolts and head studs; P90a hydraulic head; stock head gasket; mildly ported and shaved N42 intake; 240sx 60mm throttle body; Powerforce harmonic balancer; Flex-a-lite 210 dual electric fans; modified head for cooling issues; LD28 water pump

Turbocharger System: Garrett T3/T04E 50 trim w/ .63 a/r turbine housing, ceramic coated turbine housing, water cooled, 360 degree thrust bearing; 24x12x3 I/C with 2.5-in. mandrel bent aluminum piping

Fuel Injection: Wolf V500 ECU; Innovate LC-1 wideband controller and LMA-3 aux box; Redline Gauges EGT probe; 757cc Siemens injectors; Pallnet fuel rail; Walbro fuel pump; Aeromotive A1000-6 FPR; modified 240z fuel tank; braided -6 SS fuel lines from tank to engine and return with AN fittings; modified CAS; LS1 coil-on-plugs; full sequential injection and ignition; Two (2) FJO Racing 700 cc/min methanol high-speed injectors; FJO Racing pressure sender; FJO Racing 120 psi methanol pump.

Exhaust System: 3" custom mandrel bent downpipe and exhaust to a Borla XR-1 straight-through muffler

Boost: 22 psi by 3300 rpm increasing to 25 psi after peak torque

Drivetrain: Z32 5-speed; ACT clutch and pressure plate; driveshaft with Spicer u-joints; Z31 3.70 LSD

HP: Last dyno run was 388 wheel ft-lbs and 326 whp. Timing was retarded too much, AFRs too rich and slight hesitation encountered, boost bled off to 15 psi by 5000 rpm (wastegate creep - going to spring the actuator arm).

I have not dyno'd the car with the new setup. I've springed the wastegate arm which eliminated the wastegate creep. My AFRs are good and the hesitation is gone. Once I finish breaking in the engine I'll hit the dyno.

Your planning on getting 400hp to the crank with the stock ECU? Does the piggyback system work with the bosch fuel injection? I assume your not using the AFM?

Yes I am using the 240sx Throttle body with Map sensor. The E-Manage Ultimate works with the system. Tuning will be done by 280znick. Like I stated recently, hopefully I can get 400 HP at the crank around 15-20 psi. I don't know that it will but hey, I can dream right?

I just got mine running. 71 240z soft top

l28et freshly rebuilt

f54 block bored over .5 mm over, ITM psitons, arp rod/rod/ main hardware

p90 head lighly resurfaced dissambled new valve stems

polished valve cover (+8 hp)

turbo intake manifold welded and smoothed out all emmissions stuff removed, my own fuel rail similair to pallnets waiting to throw on 440cc with pallnets rail.

240sx throttle body

msa perfomance pulley

stock turbo, stock exh manifold

ms2 EDIS ignition

2.5 dp and 3" exhaust resonator and magnaflow

240z fuel lines swapped return / pick up gas tank using drain as pick up with a walbro 255 that just died

stock boost 6-7 psi creeping to 15 psi :S

just breaking it in now

FMIC waiting to get thrown on

MBC

BOV

bigger turbo soon

• 2 weeks later...

Now that my S30 is back on the road:

1981 L28E Flat Top F54/P79 - ARP head studs - 8.7:1 SCR - 11 Lbs. 225mm 240sx Flywheel

L28ET Oil Pump, '83 ZXT CAS Dizzy shaft and Distributor

1983 L28ET Exhaust Manifold

Stock S130 Garrett T3 Turbo

MSA 2.5" Downpipe - WBO2 Bung relocated to the end of the DP, - 3" Stainless Open after the DP

L28E Tapped Pan for oil return

Stainless Steel Oil Feed Lines

Shaved 75 intake, no IAC, EGR - KA24DE TB w/ Cable linkage

L28ET 260cc injectors on a Pallnet Fuel Rail

Stock J-Pipe with VW 20 psi Recirc Valve vented to ATM

LC-1 Innovate Wideband O2

MegaSquirt n Spark Extra MSI V3.57

[Volvo Intercooler with 2.5" IC piping and Ford SVO 35# Injectors going in soon]

Well, I finally made it to the drag racers. Best I could get was a 14.5 second quarter.

Bit disappointed as I thought it had a 13 second in it. Was dropping the clutch at about 3500rpm and was changing a little too late (Changing around 6000, could feel the power dropping off above 5500). So might be able to drop a few tenths off that with a bit of practice, but still not quite what I was hoping for.

R/T - 0.245

60 - 2.386

1/8 - 9.534 @ 77.78

1/4 - 14.596 @ 99.11

What does your car weigh? With weight and a trap speed you'll know how far off the dyno is.

Engine: L28E+T, Rebuilt, Stock N42 Block, Stock pistons new rings, Bearings ect, L20et Sump, N42 head Mildly flowed ported, Port matched to intake flange.

Turbo System:

Holset Hx40w (60mm inducer) 16cm2 exhaust side, Custom RIPS Intake, 40mm Runners, Velocity stacks, 80mm Billet Throttle body, 2.5 hot side intercooler piping, 3" Cold side

Intake:

Custom intake

Engine Management: Link G4 Storm serries ECU,

Fuel: Bosh 044 Main line pump, 2L Surge tank, Feed buy Euro Bosh Merc pump (Porsche turbo upgrade pump). 550cc Rx7 injectors, Pallnet fuel rail, Unkowen FPR,

Ignition: Rb20det Coils with lead extensions, Vg30det/Rb25det Cas on stock l28/l20et Dizzy base gutted and mount system.

HP: Unkowen, Goal is 300rwkw

What does your car weigh? With weight and a trap speed you'll know how far off the dyno is.

Well, it is a 76 260z 2+2.

So from what I can find the stock dry weight is 2630lbs.

I have a larger exhaust, turbo, intercooler, Rx7 seats (weigh close to the same) so maybe another 50lbs (stab in the dark there).

Liquids (5ltr oil, 40ltr petrol, 20ltr water?) 130lbs

I weigh about 220lbs.

So that is roughly 3030lbs.

Using this ET calculator

http://www.turbofast.com.au/Drag.html

I need 240hp (not sure if this is wheels or engine) to get 100mph.

And that should net me a theoretical 13.5second run.

For those that are interested, I got my best run on youtube.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it would be benificial to have a thread of everyone who has a L28 turbo list what you have and your mods as well as when you get positive boost and how well you like it.

example::

-engine= L28ET JE pistons 8:0.1 compression

-turbo= t3/to4E 60trim compressorwheel, .63 turbine housing stage 3 wheel.

-Exhaust system

- How much boost you run and when it goes pos pressure to peek boost.

-ECU= MSNS1 v3

-440 CC injectors

-HP= if you have dyno tuned it and what type of dyno..(this will not be exact as no 1 dyno is the same)

What im trying to accomplish is a nice and easy thread to search and have information on different turbo setups people are using on the L28 motor.

Please let me know if this thread has been started before as I dont want to duplicate one..

Thanks

**UPDATE ON MY SETUP**

I got rid of the 60 trim turbo as it was laggy and really not well suited for my needs with the L28. With the 60 trim I was able make 328 wheel HP and 360ft lbs of Tq at 20psi of boost.

Turbo is now a 50 trim t3/t04E with a stage 3 .63ar exhaust side.

Downpipe is a full 3" turbo back exhaust.

I am running a Tial 38mm external wastegate.

Right now even with my rich tune Im running 20 psi and get full boost by high 2800s low 3000 rpms. Boost comes on quick and feels very nice.

I am also running the NA-"A" cam and pulls nicely all the way to 6500rpms.

I hope to get it to the dyno friday and fine tune her.

• 2 weeks later...

'82-83 Turbo L28ET motor

Rebuilt, Blueprinted

$$$(?) set of bearings

Nismo piston rings

stock head gasket

rebuilt head

stock turbo, rebuilt

JSK fuel rail

stock injectors

stock 280z fuel pump

HKS SSQV BOV

27x12x3 intercooler

Aluminum radiator

N42 Non-EGR intake manifold

Haltech E6K comp

OEM CAS integrated dizzy

custom fabricated exhaust, beginning with MSA downpipe, terminating in HKS muffler

Have an MSD 6A, but can't get it to work with the Haltech because for some reason it won't connect to the laptop. Also can't tune because of this... Thanks Chris, because if you didn't tune this engine before I got it (3 years later) I'd be completely dead in the water.

Engine running Castrol Edge, because I'm thinkin' with my dipstick, Jimmy.

DSC03113.jpg

Engine bay is a mess, but its a work in progress/testing.

Unknown HP, Unknown torque. It may not be nearly as fast as the rest of the setups on here, but it sounds mean, feels fast, and it popped my turbo cherry!

• 4 weeks later...
**UPDATE ON MY SETUP**

I got rid of the 60 trim turbo as it was laggy and really not well suited for my needs with the L28. With the 60 trim I was able make 328 wheel HP and 360ft lbs of Tq at 20psi of boost.

Turbo is now a 50 trim t3/t04E with a stage 3 .63ar exhaust side.

Downpipe is a full 3" turbo back exhaust.

I am running a Tial 38mm external wastegate.

Right now even with my rich tune Im running 20 psi and get full boost by high 2800s low 3000 rpms. Boost comes on quick and feels very nice.

I am also running the NA-"A" cam and pulls nicely all the way to 6500rpms.

I hope to get it to the dyno friday and fine tune her.

*****Update to my update******

I took her down the 1/4 strip at DNI. She drove awesomely up there and ran the best of 11.8@120mph at 20psi of boost. this turbo really does well with my setup. boost comes on quick and pulls hard all the way to at least 6300. I am going to stick it on the dyno on Dec 12th. I will post back what happens.

Engine= 1981 L28ET with a 83 zxt solid lifter head.

Turbo= Blown T3 currently. Upgrading to a T3/T4 this winter.

Exhaust system= 2.5" staight pipe out the side. No cat, no muffler.

How much boost you run and when it goes pos pressure to peek boost. 10 psi... Was limited by injectors, still using stockers 260cc. Now I will put in the 370's for next year and go to 18+ psi

ECU= NIStune with a 1981 280zxt coverted wire harness to support the 300zxt ECCS and even more mods so I can run my 90's 300zxtt MAF.

HP= currently enough to hold a brake stand in 3rd. Next year i want to hold in 4th.

As of yesterday, I'm finally in the game!

Engine: 1981 Turbo motor freshly rebuilt. Stock bottom end with some port blending in the head. Backed by my stock N/A 83ZX tranny

Turbo: SlowBoy Racing GT30 T3/T4 .70a/r compressor .63a/r turbine Stage 3 wheel.

(This thing whistles like a referee!)

Exhaust: 3" Mandrel bent downpipe......(no more to it than that)

Electronics: MegaSquirt II PCB 3.57 running fuel and spark. Stock 82 turbo dizzy. Innovate LC-1 wideband. I'm running CygnusX's maps from his post in 2007. Working on it in Tuner Studio.

Fuel: 440cc AZC o-ring injectors. AZC high flow fuel pump. Pallnet fuel rail.

Boost: As of now I have no idea. I have not gone over 3psi(trying to be safe on breakin...also have my rev limiter set at 4500) Running off the WG spring. I'm guessing between 7 and 9lbs. I dont know because it was a used Turbonetics evolution wastegate.

Bolt ons: Front mount intercooler with 2.5" mandrel bent piping. Spec lightweight flywheel. ClutchMasters 240mm stage 3 clutch kit. Aftermarket oil cooler. Some others I'm sure I forgot.

Power: Unknown

Ok guys,

I have read this thread a couple of times and I am still perplexed.

I have the torque that you guys are getting but not the power.

I am getting similar torque figures to people here that have similar setups/boost levels to me, in some cases even larger torque figures.

I get

320ft-Lbs of torque at the wheels,

but I am only getting 185rwhp @ 5500rpm.

I get my 13psi just below 4000rpm and it stays relatively steady all the way till 6000rpm.

Dyno sheet here (third gear run in a 280zx 5spd)

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/garvice/?action=view&current=IMAGE0001.jpg

Here is my setup.

L28e converted to an ET (F54 with dished pistons)

P90 head

GT30/40r Turbo

60mm 240sx Throttle Body

440cc Supra Injectors

Intercooled with 2.5" piping

2.5" to 3" Dump pipe (Changes dimension very quickly)

3" from DP back

LS1 Coils

Aftermarket computer tuned by a good tuner

Tuned at 13psi.

How are you guys getting such big Hp numbers?

Are you pushing your cars higher in the rpm range to get the big power numbers?

Mine drops off higher in the rpm which I assume is because it doesn't breathe well enough.

I guess I am just going to have to do the quarter mile and get a ET. That way I can compare real numbers with you guys.

Hi,

There is something very wrong with your dyno graph, and the data.

I did some math for you, but I had to make some assumptions, which should be very close.

I am assuming you have a 3rd gear that is approx 1.3:1

I am assuming you have a final drive of 3.7:1 (even if it's a 3.9, it's only 5%ish off)

I am assuming your tire radius is approx 1 foot (0.3meter).

On the dyno graph it says motive force is 3998N. That is what is measured

at the roller. That converts to 900 pounds force.

And if your wheel is 1 foot radius, that equals 900 ft*lbs torque at your rear hub.

Divided by 3.7 equals about 240 ft*lbs coming out of the tranny.

Divided by 1.3 equals about 185 ft*lbs coming off the flywheel, NOT 320 ft*lbs!

The 185 ft*lbs number makes sense based on your hp graph.

185 hp and torque also make sense for you 1/4 mile numbers, but they don't at all for your engine on 13psi with your turbo.

You should probably be around 350whp on 13psi, maybe a bit less, but not 185!

Not trying to dump on you. Just saying that something is definitely awry with your setup. It should be killer. And I'm sure it will be soon. Prepare yourself for 11 second passes!

^ Don't have much time to respond to the above, so I will do some more research after work. All assumptions other then wheel size are pretty much spot on. I have a 12.8" radius. So even less torque at the engine using your calc.

When I was having the car tuned it was running in the 0.84 - 0.9 (max power A/R range) region. So if the fuel is in the right region, am I right in assuming the only other thing that may be hindering my power is the timing curve?

I will post some timing figures tonight.