HybridZ

costs of your cars

I bought my 240z 2 years ago when I was 16 as well. I was lucky to find one in incredible condition that needed very minimal body work and zero rust repair. It was simply a matter of rebuilding the suspension, brakes, getting the electrical stuff to work, and a few minor cosmetic additions. The interior was pretty descent but I stripped it down anyway to add sound deadening/insulation as well as some interior upgrades/sound system.

In these 2 years I've spent just about 8-9k excluding the sr20 swap. I've been always working minimum wage jobs since I was 15 until 18. As soon as I turned 18 and had a variety of new jobs available, I went into selling cars at a local Nissan dealership. I only worked there for about a month because 55-hour work weeks gave me absolutely no time to go out, study, work on my Z, or work out. So I quit and now I'm working as a waiter in a very nice restaurant, that pays quite well in tips(tax free!:-D).

Now working at the above jobs still isn't enough to pay off everything because I still pay for everything when I go out with friends, so I would make money by scalping lots and lots of tickets. I don't do it anymore but I would be able to get anywhere from 350 up to 800 on each concert, depending how popular it is. Yes it is technically illegal because it is not taxed money but whatever.

When I was also 14/15, I was into hobby level gas powered r/c cars. I had a few sponsors under my belt, and I started making parts for my cars under the name AKRacingProducts. I made a good chunk of change through that, but then eventually the manufacturer of my trucks started making the same stuff outta china for literally half my price, and that was done with.

For my engine swap, I don't have the ability to weld and am very poor with electrical work so I had Vildini do all the work. I payed for all the parts, and my parents were nice enough to pay for the labor. The only reason they would allow me to do such a thing is because I explained to them how with my old l28 w/ su carbs I was getting on average 12-14mpg, and this was my daily driver. If I was to drive about 35,000 miles with the sr20, the fuel savings alone would be enough to pay off the entire cost of the swap. I've driven about 1700 miles so far on the swap and saved just about 70 gallons of fuel. I'd say with the average cost around here of being $4.30 a gallon for 91, thats 300 bucks saved already. This is with about 23-24mpg on average, because I like to get on the boost here and there, but with my 3.7 ratio in the rear if I just stay off the boost 28mpg can easily be seen. I'm just saying all this because there are lots of things to consider with an engine swap.

As far as money goes, there are always TONS of different ways you can easily make pretty damn good side money, you just have to be smart and figure them out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I paid around $8500 for mine, fresh floors/rails, good body with good paint and refreshed motor and stock interior, aftermarket wheels.

This past winter/spring I swapped ls1 into the car, new wheels, new interior/guages/seats/FG door panels, whole 9 yards as they say. I was lucky and sold the wheels and drivetrain to offset SOME of the cost but I easily spent close to $10k on all the work (less what i sold off the car). That said I didn't do ANY suspension or beefing up of the driveline parts. Hence why I destroyed a half shaft at the track. Now I have an LSD, zx half shafts, finned diff going in. I also finally am upgrading to Wilwood brakes. So there's another $2k or so.

Good times and as said before I wouldn't change a thing :) this car is a TON of fun. Hell my wife just took her mom for ride in it and they love the car. Its just a blast to drive.

There is something to be said about building your own car. It's rewarding, expensive, time consuming and the feeling of accomplishment is awesome.

Some people say they would never sell their Z, but life can have it's unexpected turns and you end up selling your car for much less, typically far less then you could imagine.

To me now, it's not about not doing the work or the lack of enjoyment received by doing it, but the lack of money as a Husband, father and sole provider.

Your young, so you don't have these issues. Currently though, times are very hard for people out there and deals can be had. The savings by spending more initially can far outway your wildest expectations in the end.

I paid $3750 for my current Z. The original Z lover put over 16K into my car and many of those things I wouldn't have done.

Take the time to look around, deals are out there.

I have a 73' Z. Bought it for $8,000 and have invested about $22,000 since May. L28et, Bride, Nardi, Autopower, Wilwood, Panasport, Autometer, etc etc. Should be ready in December :burnout: Will start a thread then. Lucky to still have a wife after spending that much in our 1st year of marriage. :mrgreen:

These cars are tinker toys... there is always something that needs to be worked on. The good part (for the early Z's) is that they are simple to work on once you get your hands dirty. Just a handful of metric tools and a shop manual will get you a long way. It is a great car to learn the ropes on. I would advise you to buy something that has spent it's life in the southwestern part of the country though... Arizona, New Mexico, etc. You'll be SOOOO far ahead in the long run. My 240z I bought here in Florida for $800. I drove it for 6 months until I drove through a puddle at around 40mph, and water flew up from under the passenger's side floormat and hit me in the face!! I started on what I thought would be some minor rust repair and ended up replacing the floors, framerails, rockers, rear quarters, inner wheel arches, fenders, doorskins, and hood. For what I spent on that I could have had a really good starter car from the southwest. Hindsight is 20/20...

As far as what I have in it now, well, I have a ballpark, but try not to think about it too much. I throw all of my receipts in the circular file... I will never get out of the car the money that I have in it (not to mention the time), and having the evidence lieing around is just bad news (My wife a couple of weeks ago came across the receipt for my new CCW's - OOPS!!)

Good luck w/ the hunt for your first Z car and be patient...

I was just wondering how much money your cars are costing you.

Im talking about upgrades and everything

Im 16 and Im suppose to be buying a 240z (probably in not that good of a condition) this upcoming spring and I plan on doing a swap to either an sr20det or rb25det, suspension, and brakes. (would I be done there?)

My dad said he'd go halves with me on parts

All of the body work/paint I plan on doing on my own.

It may just be me but it seems like everyone fixing up a Z has cash and is most likely a mechanic.

So would buying this car be a bad idea for someone making minimum wage? 240z's are one of my favorite cars ever btw.

I tell this same response to alot of people who ask about getting a Z of their own.

If the car is going to be your primary transportation, i strongly suggest that you do not get it. If you do get it, and want it to be primary transportation, be prepared to sink some money into it to bring it up to at least "sub-par" as a daily driver status.

Brakes, windshield wipers, lack of power, and 4 decades of aging... leaves alot on the table for something you are going to count on every day to get you to and from your school/work/etc...

I always suggest these cars as secondary toys, weekend pleasure cars, and something to be taken out as a treat to be enjoyed. It allows you to take your time on making repairs or alterations, so that you do not rush and make mistakes. It makes you appreciate the nuances of the car, rather than grow to hate them day in and day out.

If this is not your primary car, I say go for it, do a swap, restore it to OEM, or anything else, it’s a project at that point, and that’s what they require, time and planning. If it is to be your only car, daily driven, I’d suggest going through and inspecting/revamping all the older systems of the car.

When rationalizing spending money on things that do not involve making yourself faster, keep in mind that you are driving a beer can on wheels, and that you are one of the smallest things on the road.

I was just wondering how much money your cars are costing you. Im talking about upgrades and everything

It may just be me but it seems like everyone fixing up a Z has cash and is most likely a mechanic.

So would buying this car be a bad idea for someone making minimum wage? 240z's are one of my favorite cars ever btw.

Z's are great cars to learn on, (as long as you are not dependent on them to get to work while you're learning...this goes for any project car.) If knowledge and money are your main concerns, I would suggest taking it easy on the RB swap (one of the more expensive swaps you could do) and just spending time going over the primary systems of the car and making sure it is safe and reliable.

There is plenty of time for dropping 10-20k on exotic engines and expensive/complicated upgrades later.

I don't think how much we are spending on our cars is very relevant to how much you would have to spend or whether or not you should buy a Z. Some of us choose to spend a lot more than others, but that doesn't mean we had to in order to enjoy them.

If you can be patient, do your research ahead of time, look for one in good condition, and do a little budgeting, the Z is a very affordable car to buy and maintain, and it shouldn't take very long to get into daily driver shape.

$1400-Car-77 280z,$200-Tow-tampa to tarpon,$550-Engine & ECU-toyota 1uzfe,$100-MAF & ignitors,$250-Transmission adapter plate-1uz auto bellhousing to W58,$30-SC400 electrical wiring book,$260-8 out 10 interior from junk yard z,$50-280zx mirrors and switches,FREE-Louvers,$180-temporary rims and tires,$50-Celica W58 Transmission,$140-E46 H.I.D. Projectors,$150-1UZ Automatic Bellhousing,$20-Supra W58 Shifter

$110-Supra W58 Transmission,......$20-spray paint.....

i dont feel like adding it up, just a list im keeping. btw, no where near running lol.

I'm $10k deep in my 240Z that I've had for a year ($5500 for car, $4500 into built L28ET swap) and I still need to spend another $5k just to get everything in the car and running... I really should've just done a stock RB swap but at least I should be putting down close to 400whp with the L28ET

So encouraging for our new Z enthusiast! Lol!!

I didn't even mention that I have done all of the work myself (minus headwork, cam, and carb overbore). Labor alone could eat half your budget if you aren't inclined, or can't do the work yourself.

My advice? Buy the best car you can afford. I would have most likely been better off buying a better condition Z with paint, half decent interior, and solid mechanicals for $3000 or so. Not nearly as much to replace.

Then again, just like many other people here have said, I wouldn't trade the experience, and the pride in being able to say that I built that thing sitting in the driveway with a tarp over it to keep the rain from infiltrating the rotted window seals!

Mine so far? $300 for the car, $400 to get it back from Chch (thats extra fuel towing and a thirstier tow 4x4 and the trailer hire above what was budgeted for a business trip in the van), $100 for misc bits, and a $100 Rover 3.5 V8 which will cost $54 to ship up from Chch.

I'm only just starting :D I'm expecting about $2000 on rust fixing (minor) and dent removal, and another about $2000 for a good paint job. the engine is likely to soak up around the same by the time it's ready to install, maybe $1500 for actual installation and modifications/cradles. Brakes and suspension are likely to be about $3500, and a new interior carpet and upholstery I'm guessing $2000.

all over the course of 3 to 4 years... as I said before, I'm just starting :D

The engine cost guesstimate is for a mild refresh assembling and dissasembling bits myself and having shops re-grind the crank etc... if I go flat plane it could climb to the sky.

I noticed youve listed an RB25 as a possible swap, I would not recommend you go through with it if you dont have a fair amount of money sitting around or dont mind working on the car and saving money for a year or two. Im doing an RB25 swap right now and Ive spent over $7000 (including cost of car and back registration fees, $700) on it so far. Its not even running and I still need to buy parts to make it run. My brakes, suspension and all that is stock. My car looks like complete crap as well. To get an RB25 with suspension upgrades, brakes and all that and having the car look decent will cost well over $10,000. Dont let the price of the engine fool you, it adds up very very quick just to get it running. Unless my friend, you have driveshaft fabrication capabilities, can make a custom wiring harness, can make engine and transmission mounts, make a custom exhaust and obtain an engine that is complete and hasnt been in a front end crash (difficult to find), which cut the cost dramatically.

Oh my...after 17 years of ownership...and many engines trannys, tires , wheels, track events...redirections and upgrades...$30K plus....and spending.

Its my hobby and if you average my expenses per year...its not so bad. Along the way Ive met many great people, learned lot of interesting things and had a blast! Spend what you can afford and have fun!

The Rusty Old Datsun had around $65,000 into it. Engine, EMS, intake, exhaust, radiator, etc. were close to $20,000, shocks were close to $10,000, fabrication work on the roll bar, chassis, and suspension were another $7,500, transmission was about $8,000, multiple differentials were about $2,000, body and paint were another $5,000, multiple sets of wheels and tires were $5,000...

Had the 260 10 years Paid $500 for the car did all of the work except the last paint myself have around $3200 in the car. Have a extra turbo engine and stuff on an engine stand. I figure that I have around $1000 in parts and pieces not installed on the car that is included in the price above.