HybridZ

New Paint, and a TEENY bit of frustration...

YellowFever

After 2 years of ownership I finally bit the bullet and had my '76 280 painted. It was painted by a good friend of mine at his body shop in Auburn, AL (about 275 miles from my house). The engine and transmission were removed so the engine compartment could be painted too. The paint was finished the morning of Sept. 21st 2008, shortly afterwards I received a cell-phone picture of the car in the booth. I was as excited as a 43 year old little boy could be!

The main color is Ford Vapor Clearcoat Metallic, the stripes were custom mixed to match the centers of my Konig Rewind wheels, and the clearcoat is some super-duper stuff that my painter buddy used on his personal project car a few months ago. There were also a few body modifications made: shaved and smoothed rear bumper/valance, shaved and filled windshield wipers, side marker lights, and FM antenna. Most of the car's emblems were removed... the Z vent emblems were replaced and the 280Z fender emblems were replaced with "DATSUN" fender emblems. An MSA type 2 airdam was installed and the stock gas cap and fuel door were replaced with a Kawasaki sportbike gas cap.

In the booth...

394682468_7R3Vi-M.jpg

394682718_UnQ5y-M.jpg

Look at that reflection!

394682646_uVorZ-M.jpg

Smooooooooooth!

394682837_DGiCH-M.jpg

With a gorgeous paint job like this you're probably wondering why the thread title mentions frustration. Well, that's a damn good question...

The same day that the car was painted I had a little accident while working on my house. I broke my right ankle/fibula. Two days later I had surgery to fix the damage... I now have a stainless steel plate and 8 screws holding my fibula together, and an additional 2 screws to stabilize my ankle. It has been 3 weeks since my car was painted and I still haven't seen it in person... IT IS DRIVING ME ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!!!

My next doctor visit is on Thursday the 23rd. The doctor might replace my cast, or he might put me in a "boot". I don't really care what he does because the next day I will be headed to Auburn to get my car! I plan to go to Auburn on Friday, install my new engine on Saturday (with a lot of help from some good friends), and trailer the car home on Sunday. Maybe someday I'll actually be able to drive it again!

Ya'll be careful out there!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all of the kind words. The paint job actually turned out better than I ever imagined it would. The painter is a true artist... he suggested the color, I suggested the stripes, and we both decided on the body mods. Without his vision my car wouldn't be as pretty as it is (if I do say so myself).

I have asked my buddy to send me a picture of the gas cap installed. Hopefully I'll get that picture tomorrow. He put a motorcycle gas cap on his yellow 300ZX twin turbo, and on an old red Z car that he used to have... it looked awesome on both of those cars!

I am certainly jealous. I've been doing everything else but body and paint and I keep saying, "Body and paint are next year....." However, when next year comes I've identified other projects I want to do.

Hell, NEXT year was supposed to be body and paint yet I've decided to go down the route of a worked head, custom intake manifold, Baddog rails and subframe connectors, etc. One of these days.

I love the color and that clear makes the paint look so damn deep!

Well, the weekend has come and gone and I still haven't seen my car in person. I was supposed to go to Auburn to pick it up and bring it home, but plans changed at the last minute.

The company my wife works for bought a 4-day cruise to Mexico for some of their employees and a bunch of their customers. At the last minute one of the customers had to cancel so my wife and I were invited on the trip. There were a total of 160 emplyees/customers on the boat... and the booze was flowing!

So instead of spending all day Saturday working on the Z so I could bring it home, I spent all day Saturday on the beach in Cozumel with a beer in my hand. Not a bad trade-off, I guess.

405263539_eV8Py-L.jpg