HybridZ

Drifting: Here to stay or just a fad?

AkumaNoZeta

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO drifting is a fad! It was the next big thing, it hit California hard then made its way east. Everyone rode the wave and cashed in big time. Just as the Import scene hit California in the late 90's although the ricer fad has died down...at least where I live...thank god.

Its here to stay but the participation level is still in flux. Drifting has actually been around here in California for over 10 years but it was only in the last 5 years that the automotive press found out about it. A reverse example: Autocross is huge nationwide but you never see it on TV or in the press.

I don't know how people can afford it, Ive always wanted to try it but the cost of tires these days makes it wayyyyyy out of my reach.

That's always been the thing that confused me too. It seems to be mostly young kids who are into it, and how you can work a crap job at 18-20 and afford so many sets of 225/15/20 tires is beyond me.

A reverse example: Autocross is huge nationwide but you never see it on TV or in the press.

That's because watching autox is like watching paint dry.

At some point I think the drifters will realize, or maybe already have realized that they're burning up huge amounts of $$$ and that they'd be going a lot faster if they actually kept traction.

At some point I think the drifters will realize, or maybe already have realized that they're burning up huge amounts of $$$ and that they'd be going a lot faster if they actually kept traction.

That's part of what's always bugged me about it. It's the automotive equivalent of ice dancing. Sure, it takes tremendous skill and talent, but what for? Style points? Lots of smoke and noise and not much else.

It's a skill a good driver should be able to master...but it should be treated as a tool in the bag of tricks - something to use when you've buggered up a corner. There's more to driving than just being able to go sideways.

drifting has been around for a long time in japan and is still going strong. i first saw it on Okinawa back in the late 80s!!!!.

Drifting in japan seems to be one of the first steps for gear head car guys to take. is it a fad??? it think it has been around long enough to not qualify as a fad anymore but will it stay. not sure current crowds at the events say it will stay for a little while at least.

Its still growing here. Nearly every week I see someone new that just got a 240sx or other car that they want to drift. When I went to Formula D this summer the seats were packed. Even after the rain started pouring very few people left. The ones that did were mostly guys that brought their girlfriends that couldn't care less about cars and nagged them until they left (Had a couple sitting next to me and the guy did NOT want to leave). And I think 50% of the people there got a tire. lol. I'm one of them. :) Completely bald toyo used and signed by Ken Gushi. I think to some its a fad. Others like myself and my friends are drifters for life. My dad is even getting into it. lol.

IMO that is why there is dirt track racing. :lmao:

Indeed! It's how Mario Andretti started off, but he didn't stay there. He kept going, to Indy Car, F1, LeMans and other series, where driving skill keeping traction - not getting sideways - is key.

I think a lot of what we're seeing isn't so much automotive enthusiasts as it is auto culture enthusiasts...and there's a very blurred line between the two. Most of us start out culture enthusiasts and many cross over, but few go beyond to full-time racing and careers.

Well I don't know. I just spent three days at the Red Bull Drift Championship in long beach. it was my first time experiencing drift and I thought that it was pretty awesome. Now the coolest part is that I got to ride in one of the cars while it raced. but seeing the car up close was pretty cool. and from what i can tell there is not really any regulations other than the tires so it seems like you have nearly endless options. I don't know, to me (someone with no race experience) that seems pretty awesome.