HybridZ

Low oil pressure.

zx_drift

I have an '82 280zx (NA) and my oil pressure is pretty strange. My oil pressure wavers a lot. When I come to a stop, the pressure drops to zero then comes back up. When I floor it, it stays pretty steady at around 80 psi (K&N oil filter) but sometimes it drops pretty low, but the oil light never comes on, even when the gauge reads 0. The car also burns lots of oil, so its time for a rebuild, but I have good compression (180 all around). Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

I was driving home the other day and noticed a slightly lower oil pressure, checked my levels when I arrived and everything was ok.

I came outside a couple of hours later to head over to a friends, the oil pressure came up then dropped to Zero.

I popped the hood, got out, and the connector had come of the sending unit. Maybe check to see if its loose?

I've replaced the sender, and cleaned the connectors. The oil level is good, although it does do it more when it is low. Other info... it drops when I shift then comes back up as soon as I give it gas. sometimes at a little throttle it stays zero until I stomp on it. Oil is 20w50 (so it will burn less)

I've replaced the sender, and cleaned the connectors. The oil level is good, although it does do it more when it is low. Other info... it drops when I shift then comes back up as soon as I give it gas. sometimes at a little throttle it stays zero until I stomp on it. Oil is 20w50 (so it will burn less)

You don't run a l28 with 20 - 50 unless you have a diesel Z. Just kidding. If you are burning oil you know you have a limited time on that motor. Running your motor with 20-50 starves your engine of proper oil pressure at crucial times (start-up, heavy on the throtle)

Go to 10-30 and if you want add a oil treatment but you are ovoiding the inevidable

If you are using lots of oil, as you have stated, and you have good compression on all the cylinders and are not leaking oil, the you are probably in need of some head work. While you at it, drop the oil pan, clean it and the oil pickup. Check and replace sender unit and oil gauge as needed and you should be good to go without spending a fortune. By the way, you need to filter the "type of oil" information above, especially the 20/50 myth. While I'm not recommending what oil for you to use in your car, I will tell you that I have driven z cars for many miles and years using 20/50 castroil. Is it the best? There is no best! It's what works for you. Get the picture?

if none of the above suggestions help, check the oil pump. the springs may be weak or the pump itself may need to be replaced due to wear. how many miles on that motor?

I've really never have heard of a failing oil pump on this forum.

I did a quick search and did not see anything.

Outside of low oil, partially cloged pick up screen or electronics, it is tough to imagine a pump behaving the way he has described.

HOWEVER, anything is possible. My money is on electrical.

Ive bought electrical parts and returned them the same day :P. A mechanical guage is handy because you dont have to fiddle with any wires, and eliminates all the guess work. The in dash guages are kinda tempermental. I changed my sender, and as soon as I turn on the key with the engine off, the needle goes up to 90 and just sits there -.-.