HybridZ

CRANE Cams, out of business

grumpyvette

February 24, 2009

Crane Cams shuts down, workers laid off

By JIM WITTERS

Senior Business Writer

DAYTONA BEACH — Crane Cams, a 56-year-old auto parts manufacturer, closed its doors this week and laid off its employees, a worker said today.

The news took Volusia County’s top economic development officer by surprise. City, county and state officials were working with Crane Cams and officials from its New Jersey parent, Mikronite Technologies, to keep the company open and in the community.

“We were trying to help them through this transition,†said Rick Michael, Volusia County economic development director. “They were considering a transfer of ownership. We were not expecting any closure.â€

An automated voice mail system at Crane’s plant on Fentress Boulevard announced at midday today the company was closed and suggested calling back during business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. A call to Mikronite’s New Jersey offices produced similar results. Six cars sat in the parking lot early this afternoon at the local plant, which employed 220 just three years ago.

Inside the lobby, a reception desk sat empty. A call from the lobby phone got an answer from Dennis Burgess, who declined to comment and said no one at the plant could provide information.

In the parking lot, 14-year employee Ronald Dorn was leaving the plant for what he believed was the last time

He said workers were told during the past week that layoffs were likely, but he didn’t expect the plant to close.

Mikronite received approval in 2006 to receive tax rebates from the state and the county amid discussion about moving its New Jersey operations here. But the company ended its contract with the state in 2008 due to nonperformance, Michael said.

“Crane has gone through a series of small layoffs recently,†he said.

Crane Cams and Crane Technologies Group were founded by Harvey J. Crane Jr. in 1953 as Crane Engineering Inc. in Hallandale. The company is well known in high-performance and racing circles for its line of camshafts and engine valve train components.

In 1979, Crane Cams became an employee-owned company. Some operations moved to Daytona Beach in 1981, with the remainder of the operation and employees relocating here in 1985.

Mikronite, an industrial technology firm, bought Crane in 2006.

In March 2007, Mikronite sold its property on Fentress to STAG Capital Partners of Boston, then signed a 10-year lease.

I think they might have been hurting for a while. I worked at CSK (Checker/Kragen/Schucks, now Oreilly's) in their commercial division selling to a lot of shops, and I saw a large number of cams go out the door. Seems people bought comp cams, and praised crane. I think comp cams got a 1-up with cam/lifter packages, and selling lifters to distributors to be sold as house brands.

"Diversify and Survive"... (?)

Never really thought about the HiFire and electronics, but I'm sure they were added to the line. Many companies take on lines and lines of products that they eventually become know for, but neglect the core business that got them where they were.

There's nothing wrong with doing one thing well, and sticking to it IMO. I've seen many companies 'diversify to survive' right into Ch11.

It's a sad day, Crane is gone. An 'alternative' is always good to have around.

I hope Isky sticks with Cams and cam related products... If so, I'll be fine!

"Diversify and Survive"... (?)

Never really thought about the HiFire and electronics, but I'm sure they were added to the line. Many companies take on lines and lines of products that they eventually become know for, but neglect the core business that got them where they were.

There's nothing wrong with doing one thing well, and sticking to it IMO. I've seen many companies 'diversify to survive' right into Ch11.

I agree. Focus on one thing and do what you do well. If you want to expand, start another business for the expansion, that way if one or the other fails it doesn't take everything down with it.

My $.02

^^^ Precisely what does "restructuring" mean though? Could it mean importing raw material or blanks? Maybe they'll be importing completed products? There's no way to know until it happens and they may be tight-lipped about it.

^^^ Precisely what does "restructuring" mean though? Could it mean importing raw material or blanks? Maybe they'll be importing completed products? There's no way to know until it happens and they may be tight-lipped about it.

Yeah if they reopen and start selling crap that won't hold up, then its not good. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Greg