HybridZ

ME's, where do you work, what do you do?

Challenger

Ill give you some good advice that you should take to heart:

STUDY YOUR CALCULUS do not just try and pass the tests, do everything in your power to make sure you understand everything, the theory behind it and all....dont just "follow the formula" This is particularly true for differential equations, Laplace transforms, and S-domain theory. And last but not least take great notes, not only when your are in class but one thing that has helped me is to write procedures as you are doing homework so you have a studyguide and example problem to go by years down the road.

Im in my senior year and in classes like Controls the math gets wicked.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STUDY YOUR CALCULUS do not just try and pass the tests, do everything in your power to make sure you understand everything, the theory behind it and all....dont just "follow the formula" This is particularly true for differential equations, Laplace transforms, and S-domain theory. And last but not least take great notes, not only when your are in class but one thing that has helped me is to write procedures as you are doing homework so you have a studyguide and example problem to go by years down the road.

Damn, I'm pretty good at calc, but I have an irrational hatred for diff eq, very little of it because of the math. :lol:

Thats funny you mention controls, I've just spent the last two days studying for my final in that class, and have all day tomorrow also. Good times, the final is going to be real fun.

I guess what I meant with my first post is just keep your options open. Experience is experience and you can learn something new and useful no matter which industry you spend some time in, even if you dont stay in it. Its been the case for me anyway.

So what would you consider most of your math is coming from? Is it alot of integration, multivariable/3axis, series, or linear?

Edit- Did a search. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory Definitely some integration and algebra...

Also, just passing has never been a goal of mine, Id die if I just passed. I actually didnt take calc 3 this quarter since the teacher is terrible. Most of the students have 4.0s but have no idea what their doing. Id rather learn it right and get a grade that reflects my knowledge... although 4.0s in math are good. :)

Yeah, I'm learning already that I should have learned my trig better in HS, and I'm only in my first year. Trig kills me.

I have a BSME from NCSU and have been in the workforce for 20 years. I've had the privilege of working on everything from Nuke Subs, Aircraft Carriers, Space Shuttle, Missiles, Lasers, Glass Plants, Power Plants, just to name a few. Funny thing is, I rarely use my engineering and have never done design. I learned a lot about manufacturing and how to build just about anything and currently manage an Industrial Engineering department for a large defense contractor. I've always networked with people and kept my experience varied and marketable.

As far as being happy in your job? I like things different everyday. Never bored. Some engineers like a little more structure. And if you don't like sitting in front of a computer all day, don't get too heavy into pure design. I knew a guy who went to work in the engine shop of a large Nascar team. Sounded cool, but he ended up running dyno tests for weeks on end and was bored to death. And the pay was lousy. Keep in mind a dream job may not be that glamorous and you end up with much more competition to get ahead.

Above all, for me to be happy, it takes a dynamic growing company with a young diverse workforce, good management, and a good boss who is willing to teach. Doesn't really matter what the product is or even what I do. You can create your own opportunities in that environment and move up or lateral. Or get good experience and move on.

It's a big world out there. That ME degree will get your foot into a lot of doors, even ones you never dreamed of.

I'm an ME in the Automotive industry.

I lived for 5 years in Michigan, I was managing & designing suspension partsainly for GM in a small company.

My schedule was split into 1/3 designing parts (CAD, FEA, Validation), 1/3 at the Customer fighting about specs, 1/3 at plants and to visit/select suppliers.

People did not have any passion for cars, it was all about business. So when you are proposing a super nice forged aluminum design that weighted 1.5kg whereas financials were proposing a cast iron 4.5kg piece for half the price, there was no hesitation from management. Kind of frustrating....

Now, I went to another job, only managing project (no more design), I deal with "problems" all the time, I travel a lot. Every problem is different, it makes the job nice, I also meet a lot of nice people all around Europe and the US.

Not a lot of people are into cars neither whereas I'm part of one of the biggest automotive supplier on the market ;)

I like to manage projects, this is my job.

My passion is cars, I work on my Z and meet other car guys during weekends

Hey Rossman, I'm with LM too. I actually interviewed for a design position on the Orion program a few years ago. Things seemed to be a bit hectic with that program back then. They kept me hanging for at least 6 months before telling me they filled the position.

I did design work for a Air Force satellite program in Sunnyvale, CA. I'm now in Cape Canaveral working in the FBM program for the Navy.

Cool. Who did you interview with? It was pretty hectic "in the beginning." It has calmed down a bit. OTOH PDR is coming up so it's starting to get busy again.

Hey Rossman, I'm with LM too. I actually interviewed for a design position on the Orion program a few years ago. Things seemed to be a bit hectic with that program back then. They kept me hanging for at least 6 months before telling me they filled the position.

I did design work for a Air Force satellite program in Sunnyvale, CA. I'm now in Cape Canaveral working in the FBM program for the Navy.

3rd year ME at UVic. Hoping to get involved with the GM EcoCar project next term modifying a saturn vue hybrid for better fuel economy.

I worked as a ME technologist for 1.5 years in high performance composites designing and building molds, jigs, manufacturing equipment, process etc.

It seems like a cool project for sure....I'm not involved with it just yet but with only 17 schools involved (UVic is the only one west of Texas I believe) and the money going into the project from sponsors alone, it makes the other student competitions like FSAE seem like small potatoes.

I dont want to hijack this thread but this is the first I've heard of the EcoCar competition. As I said before I'm planning to do my senior design project for FSAE but based off a quick search this looks like something I might be very interested in (electric vehicles have been always in the back of my mind, a possible next project car for me is an electric powered gen 1 civic autox car, if I can get one together). Is it still possible for additional teams to join the competition? If so I might try talking to the SAE professor here and see if we can put a team together, or get involved another way somehow. Any additional info you guys can provide would be awesome, but I dont know if itd be prudent to post it in the same thread... I dont know the etiquette for this kind of thing. Thanks guys!

OKay this is kinda off topic but on the EcoCar thing. Yea its back by big money but to me its kinda lame. I could be way off base here as I am not really involved with it but you are basically just mounting components in the car. The motor "pack" is pre made and ready to go, the battery packs and controllers are "idiot proof" and ready to mount. It seems like more a logistics thing, making everything work in the car....I am building the analyizing/designing an intercooler option as a final project for my Automotive Engineering elective so thats how I got involved.

In Formula SAE and Baja the students design and build chassis/suspension/engine setups from scratch....its truely impressive the amount of work they put into the cars, I know I dont have time to do what they do. My room mates have always been big into it.

Yeah I had a friend at UW (university of washington) for mechanical and they designed some sort of car from the ground up. Im sure they used some previously built components but for the most part they did all the calculations, design and fab for it. Sounded like alot of fun.

And its fine talking about the eco car here. Its all related. :)

In Formula SAE and Baja the students design and build chassis/suspension/engine setups from scratch....its truely impressive the amount of work they put into the cars, I know I dont have time to do what they do. My room mates have always been big into it.

I'm on my schools Baja team, I'd like to be part of the FSAE team when I transfer to a 4 year school. It's been a lot of work starting from nothing a few months ago, but we just got the chassis back from the cnc notcher/bender.

Anybody here on their schools baja team? What competition are you going to?

Maybe this would be better in its own thread.

I'm 24 now, I feel like maybe I'm too old to start working on an ME degree... If I could go back, the things I would change :(

Curiously, after 5 years in the USAF, I was 25 working a full time job when the 'engineering' portion of the training started. UofMD Asian Division had great 'asian studies' cirricula, but not a damn thing towards Engineering.

Business Management, Asian Studies, clerical stuff mostly.

I had to get out and get back to the USA to continue study in earnest.

24 is not 'too old'...

Not by a long shot. My bud is partner in a CE firm in Orange County now, and his degree was not completed (took 8 years working on it after work) till he was nearly 40. He complained that he took a cut in pay initially because as a skilled CAD Drafstman, as well as being able to do the manual revisions to older drawings, he brought down good coin.

But once he made partner...:burnout:

So no, 24 is not 'too old'!