HybridZ

Is anyone else cramped under their car?

As Ive worked on the suspension amongst other things Ive found its super hard to get room to work under my car. I have all of my jack stands on the frame rails right in front of the front control arms and right behind the rear control arms but Im only left with like 1.5ft of room under the car. Ive got a pretty big set of jack stands (~2ft) but it seems like the jack points are just way to high on the car.

So question is, how high can you guys usually get your car up to? Also is a jack stand larger than about 2 ft really safe? I imagine youd need a pretty large base to keep it stable. My other idea was to just get some thick wood squares to put under each stand, thats probably my best bet. (just need to find a foot thick board...)

Any info is appreciated. And no comments on getting a 4 post lift or building some huge ramps. :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 6'3" 205 so it's just not going to happen even with jack stands.

The High School I graduated from has a nice big lift in their tech dept. and as long as I help out their pre-engineering classes with fab work for their High Mileage car, I get to use the lift :)

I've got 4 3-ton and I need to upgrade to larger (they are too small to help on the 4Runner) but I seem to have plenty of room working under the car. I'm 6'3" and about 210, have pulled the trans with this set up with the V8 still in the car. That job was a little cramped but if I drop the exhaust, I have plenty of room for pretty much any job.

How about dig a hole? Just kidding. You said not talking about lifts or big ramps.

I have some 3 ton stands (I think) and I can barely get under the car with my creeper. Not too bad without. 5-8 and 180lbs. I would like to get one of those steel ramp kits, like some guys on this site use. It gets the wheels 12" off the ground. Plenty high enough for me. I had a friend that had a pit at home, and it was great for quick work on the car. Pits are illegal now (depending on your area) so its not much of an option. I had always though a "trench" could be useful..you know maybe 8-12" deep. Like Indy uses to make his way under the tandem axle army truck using his whip. hehe

Scott.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34924

what part of BUY and USE (4) 12 ton rated stands like I linked to above is all that difficult

these are really good STANDS at a decent PRICE, try to catch them ON SALE you can frequently get 4 for under $130

and once youve used them youll never go back to crappy 3 ton stands

Edited by grumpyvette

I can't beleive a guy 160 pounds started this thread!! I have a ton of shirts with grease stains below the chest!! :mrgreen:

Funny thing is when i'm jacking my car up, it seems like I have it real high. Then I put the jack stands on and I can barely fit.

I have a set of 6 ton stands, but yeah the car never seems to be high enough. I'm usually working blind and going by feel..... A buddy of mine bought a car stand from a dealer that was going out of business, the kind they'd use to display the best cars on the lot. But I'm like most, no room or budget for a lift or anything.....

6 ton jackstands, propped on the lowest strong point of the car or 12 ton jackstands anywhere usually has me getting tired from holding the air tools in the air 2 feet above the ground...

I'm 5'7, 175lbs, and we're talking about a z31.

with the transmission out, i installed the flywheel with my head in the tunnel and enough room to wield a torque wrench and have sockets on my lap and a light infront of me.

they go pretty high, these ones!