HybridZ

How safe are your wheels?

EvilC

That sucks, but what about the body damage from letting it down on the bricks? wheels can be replaced easy, but body and possible frame damage on a new $80k dollar car is not going to be cheap. I just hope he had more then state minimum.

(*drool*I want those brakes and rotors)

for a minute there i thought this was going to be a rota's bash session.

$80k GT-R at an apartment complex? Nothing against apartment living, lived in one myself many years ago, but there is NO WAY I would leave a car I give a crap about outside overnight, let alone at an apartment complex, no matter how nice. Don't get me wrong, nobody deserves to have any piece of personal property stolen, but if the owner can afford the car, surely he or she can also afford a secure parking garage? Just a thought.

That being said, thieves are the lowest form of life on the planet, hopefully the boneheads that pulled that little stunt will get what's coming to them. Besides who exactly are they going to sell them to? Do GT-R wheels fit anything but a GT-R?

$80k GT-R at an apartment complex? Nothing against apartment living, lived in one myself many years ago, but there is NO WAY I would leave a car I give a crap about outside overnight, let alone at an apartment complex, no matter how nice. Don't get me wrong, nobody deserves to have any piece of personal property stolen, but if the owner can afford the car, surely he or she can also afford a secure parking garage? Just a thought.

That being said, thieves are the lowest form of life on the planet, hopefully the boneheads that pulled that little stunt will get what's coming to them. Besides who exactly are they going to sell them to? Do GT-R wheels fit anything but a GT-R?

I heard he was visiting his GF for the night.

I heard he was visiting his GF for the night.

I'd tell that bishh to meet me at my place where my GARAGED GTR STAYS EVERY NIGHT lol but really that sucks but like many have said its not in a garage overnight and no wheel locks...might not be bullet proof but atleast makes it a little harder (ofcourse can cause more damage) or theives might vandalize the car since theyre pissed about not getting the wheels off...there's no winning when that happens, I feel sorry for the guy.

Saw it on Jalopnik this morning. There are a couple of different people claiming the car as their own.

One of the more credible stories says it's usually garage stored while the owner drives an SUV to/from work. He had some valuable equipment in the SUV and parked it in the garage with the GTR outside that night. Says he's had a number of good laughs at all the people concerning themselves with it because it's not like its an Enzo, just an 80K car. Supposedly at the dealership now.

How many sets of GTR wheels are on the market? Not many I am sure. My point is it is going to be very difficult selling the wheels or using them on another car because they are rare/unusal. It does not make good sense....if the show up on ebay or craigslist you most likely got your dirt bag crooks. I live in a nice neighborhood but I refuse to let my G35 with Volk Racing gold center GTCs sit out over night for this very reason.

whats the best locking lug nuts???

I like my Rays / Volk lug nuts. They're made of Duralumin, and only weigh ~20-30 grams each.

They use a special key, but to the untrained eye, it doesn't seem like they have one. One lug is seven-sided with a slot for the key.

There are a bunch of tuner lug nuts here: http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/lugnuts.htm

Just a little thing I noticed about locking lugnuts, is in my years of working at a ford dealership, I've been able to remove any and every locking lugnut with the key missing. Several times, especially through a used car trade-in, there will be aftermarket or locking lugnuts, but the key is nowhere to be found, so they'd have me remove the locking / tuner lugs and re-install the factory lugs. Also, there are several locking lugnuts that re-use the same key pattern, as over time I've accumulated a small key set in my tool box, and occasionally I'll have one that will work. Companies make sockets that are made to fit over lugnuts, and dig into them as soon as you start turning counter-clockwise, thus turning the lugnut with it. There have been a couple that I needed an air hammer to get it started, but nothing that couldn't be done with a normal hammer and chisel.

TRUE, they do act as a theft deterrent to the lazy criminals, and they will generate a little more noise and time consumption to remove them, but they are not full-proof.