HybridZ

OS Giken SEMA Booth

johnc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um.. cool head..

but seriously guys?! Just buy a damn RB or 2JZ for the money.

Your talking about putting a DOHC cam on a nearly 40 year old engine design.. its not going to make that much of a difference

I'm with you. I suppose if your finances are such that the $35K or whatever they wanted for the motor is no big deal and you have a hard on for it, go for it. Even if I had the money it would be very low on my list. Even if you're looking at the whole motor, so what? Can you imagine buying one of those OS Giken engines and blowing it up racing? Where are you going to buy parts? Better buy a couple spare motors while they're available again.

You can go buy a better mill that's easy to get parts for at the local store for a small fraction of the cost. There are just so many easier ways to get from A to B. That's my jaded view after spending years lusting after the head and then finally realizing that I could buy a V8 for $1100, put maybe a grand in it and get 400 hp out of it and it will run on 87 octane gas.

Glad to see them in production...buy HOLY CRAP, the price. YEEEEESH. I'd sooner put that kind of money into an LSX swap.

While he claims they will be produced again, I'm not going to be waiting for it. yes, an OSG head would be amazingly awesome, but for the 36,00+ USD that guy claims they would be asking for it? Pass. You're *still* limited by the bottom end at that point. I'd rather spend that money on building a M104 powered Z...Same number of cams, same number of valves, more displacement...makes way more sense.

edit: Hell, for that much money, might as well find a S20 to build up...spend the extra on suspension or turbo stuff...

Get a C36AMG motor, some dbilas cams, megasquirt, and have a high strung daily driven 330-350hp beastie ;)

That's the plan :D

Though I'm probably going to be talking alot with a local former MB tech, since he used to build MB engines all the time, and has some kind of black magic tricks that he does with them. I got to drive one of his cars once, and when I popped the hood, I couldn't believe there was no turbo. Thing was absurdly fast even with a light foot on the throttle.

That's a LOT of hp on a rough tune.

JeffP's non-crossflow head on a bone stock L28ET bottom end made 465Hp at 20psi last I checked.

While the DOHC has all this allure, the non-crossflow is good to over 1000 hp in endurance trim. I mean, really, how much HP do you want?

You can port a non-crossflow head to accomodate that kind of horsepower for around $3000 complete.

Let's not get stupid here getting all impressed with 'gee wiz it's DOHC'...There is not a practical advantage, really, when the costs are factored in other than the "Gee Wiz" factor!

N/A S20's were running 345+HP when Nissan ceased development, I only wish they had about 500 produced in one year instead of 416 total... that would make it legal for G/PRO at Bonneville, and it would kick some butt on that damn Cosworth Vega!:burnout:

345+ NA out of 2 liters? daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Any where else I can read up on that Tony?

Also, the more I read your posts, the more I have a sneaking suspicion that you know a guy named Larry who's a few minutes up hwy 99 from me....

Also, Mag, we should probably take this to PMs, but where are you finding any info for the dbilas cams? The site I found only had prices for re-grinds and repairs...

Read Japanese? Most of the stuff on the S20 is in Japanese Articles that followed the domestic racing series in Japan at the time. As time passes, and the engines are no longer 'competitevly raced' the knowledge comes out in trickles as the people who worked on them die.

A good source is Alan Thomas (HS30-H) in the UK, he has done extensive research in the area, and is an absolute wealth of knowledge on the domestic racing programs in Japan, as well as the international scene.

I mean, 240's with ITB's and EFI.... in 1972!

Read Japanese? Most of the stuff on the S20 is in Japanese Articles that followed the domestic racing series in Japan at the time. As time passes, and the engines are no longer 'competitevly raced' the knowledge comes out in trickles as the people who worked on them die.

A good source is Alan Thomas (HS30-H) in the UK, he has done extensive research in the area, and is an absolute wealth of knowledge on the domestic racing programs in Japan, as well as the international scene.

Any chance you could email those to me? pretty please with a cherry on top?

(Hoov100@gmail.com)

I don't have 'em, it's discussions and seeing them in someone elses' collections.

I got some stuff, but it's mostly still on dead trees, and will be for some time to come.

I mean, there are people who have given me the 'put up or shut up' more than once on 9 second full bodied ZX's in 1989. Like if the evidence doesn't exist on the net, it can in no way ever have happened. I simply reference the 1989 L-Engine Shootout Issue (August or October I belive Of the Japanese Magazine "Carboy")---if they want the verification they can scoop it up, I don't have the time to go and scan it...though some time I probably will and next time they say it post a link. Maybe. If it becomes a priority. I doubt it will. In the 80's Carboy had a regular (annual) L-Engine issue with all SORTS of cool stuff, and I think I have three or four of them in my racks out back in the shed. Cover to cover L-Engine stuff with a big drag shootout at Fuji Raceway with articles covering the various builds in the winners.

No second language at all unfortunately :/

though if I could finally find a real job (stupid economy), I could start playing around with an S20 myself and try to figure out what other guys were doing years ago...ah well, eventually.

Guest Rolling Parts

Let's not get stupid here getting all impressed with 'gee wiz it's DOHC'...There is not a practical advantage, really, when the costs are factored in other than the "Gee Wiz" factor!

Excellent post!

Sure there is a place if someone want's to make a gee-wiz no expense spared show car. That's wonderful and they are great to look at. It's also a great part for people that leave their hood open every time they park to show it off. It's a nifty piece of engineering, I wish it was mass produced.

The honest fact is that HP is made just fine with the hood closed. HP does not care. If you want practical HP then there are a lot of mass produced (inexpensive) ways to get it w/o going truly exotic. Amazing things can be done as jeffp did with progressive testing and upgrades and a lot of work!

JeffP's non-crossflow head on a bone stock L28ET bottom end made 465Hp at 20psi last I checked.

While the DOHC has all this allure, the non-crossflow is good to over 1000 hp in endurance trim. I mean, really, how much HP do you want?

You can port a non-crossflow head to accomodate that kind of horsepower for around $3000 complete.

N/A S20's were running 345+HP when Nissan ceased development, I only wish they had about 500 produced in one year instead of 416 total... that would make it legal for G/PRO at Bonneville, and it would kick some butt on that damn Cosworth Vega!:burnout:

Yes, there is a reason that there are only a handful that were ever made, and it's not because they are hard to make. It's because the need for them is not there.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't they have their sleeve/block top extender for the RB315 on display?

I would think a kit that bunmps the RB26DETT to 3,138cc's would be of more current interest to the clintelle here than a whiz-bang edition to an SOHC design that has proven it's worth to well over 700HP... I mean, where's the 1200HP OS Giken Engine Dyno Slip? We all know the Electramotive Car was running around with 800-1000HP depending on boost levels back in the early 80's running primitive turbo and EFI/Spark control... OS seems to have stayed in it for development, they have to show me the worth of the modification, becasue the headwork to get an L Series to that kind of power level is well shy of a small precentage of the cost of that TC24B1 head alone...