HybridZ

l28 blocks

soullessjdog

I have an 83 L28et engine but want a spare block to do work on i was wondering would an L28 from a 76-78 280z be suitable for a turbo engine build with a p90a head put on it I am just curious because a spare engine block to do work on would be nice and theres a 77 in a junkyard around me with no head i can get cheap.

but the 77 block is an f54 block though right?

nope. its a N42 block. It should be ok with a p90 head since it has dished pistons.

It had a no quench head on it (N42 or N47 depending on produciton month) so the dished pistons were to make up for the lack of quench the head had.

My .02 is that you should hold out for an F54 turbo block and if you can't find one with dished pistons, jsut get a flat-top block and buy a new set of dished pistons and do a ground up rebuild.

Ok. Time to correct this whole Siamesed-cylinder thing. As far as i can determine, this is correct.

THE F54 BLOCK IS NOT SIAMESED. THERE IS A WEB WITH A HOLE IN IT BETWEEN THE CYLINDERS.

A siamesed block means that the cylinders are cast in pairs, joined together, with no hole or gap between them. This describes the N42 block, NOT the F54.

Sorry to shout, but I see this thrown around so often, it's not funny anymore.

ok thats good just wanted to no if that block would hold for a turbo build it has dished pistons im going to forge the bottom end thats y i asked if it would be suitable to hold around 350-400 horsepower thats all. thanks guys for the imput it is greatly appreciated.

If you plan on forging the bottom end (pistons and rods) you will already have to pay for all the machine work and assembly (unless you plan to do that all yourself). If you do get the new pistons and rods, you should try to do a stroker build since all your missing is a V0 crank (about $300 to $400) or at least bore out to 88mm.

Another thing, the rods and crank on these engines are already forged from the factory. Unless the engine went through some major abuse you can probably reuse the rods.

If you plan on forging the bottom end (pistons and rods) you will already have to pay for all the machine work and assembly (unless you plan to do that all yourself). If you do get the new pistons and rods, you should try to do a stroker build since all your missing is a V0 crank (about $300 to $400) or at least bore out to 88mm.

Another thing, the rods and crank on these engines are already forged from the factory. Unless the engine went through some major abuse you can probably reuse the rods.

BTW the 500whp mark is obtainable on Junkyard L28's turbo or not.

Not according to the guys at the Nipa Hut in Angeles City, 1987. There were PLENTY and MANY VD Cranks available there. I hear there are an abundance in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur to this day. Zeero may be able to tell us, from anecdotes, of course.

Though, if you're a stroker, a VD Crank is not something you will necessarily acquire.

Not according to the guys at the Nipa Hut in Angeles City, 1987. There were PLENTY and MANY VD Cranks available there. I hear there are an abundance in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur to this day. Zeero may be able to tell us, from anecdotes, of course.

Though, if you're a stroker, a VD Crank is not something you will necessarily acquire.

Oh dear, the other day it was inflatables, today its VD's and crank stroking......Tony, you need to get home ASAP and 'tend your flock' me thinks....badly :mrgreen:

Cheers mate. :wink:

yep, nope.

block differences. What head is on it doesn't tell you anything reliably. I have seen E31's on N42's. Does that mean I have a P30 block? Not bloddy well likely when I can see the casting number is N42!

There are at least THREE visible differences between an N42 and the F54 (both simply say 'L28' on the serial number stamping pad)...that are visible on the spark plug side of the engine block.

What are they? Knock Sensor hole is one identifier of the F54, there are two others...

husker du?

My n42 and my f54 block have it embossed on the drivers side bottom of the block to the right of the engine mount .

ARGH! Visible on the OIL FILTER/SPARK PLUG SIDE (the place on the intake/exhaust manifold side -passengers side in some markets- is usually obstructed.)

The whole point of the exercise is to see if anybody besides me can spot the differences WITHOUT crawling under the car to see that number which is behind the headers/under the manifold.

You don't need to, there are three distinct differences on the Spark Plug/Oil Filter side of the L28.

What are they?

We have ONE so far: the F54 has a Detonation sensor in the #4 Cylinder webbing.

What are the OTHER TWO?