HybridZ

baby thoughts

vega

Which should I get for a child and future kid...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which should I get for a child and future kid...

• Lexus IS300 2jzg-e w58 or auto
    • Infinity G35 6spd or auto

Well the woman an I are thinking about having chidlens' and the first thought that came to my mind is duh- NEW CAR!

So I've been doing some research- and I'm coming down to two cars that I find I can "deal" with being 4 door cars. (I own a 78 280z stick- and a 00' civic si stick - both two doors...- the woman a 95 cougar xr-7... a 2 door)

The two cars I've come down to are the Lexus IS300 and the Infinity G35, so getting past that one is basically a Nissan to you enthusiasts out there. Which one do you think is the more reliable car more or less the better car all around? (btw I do know that the IS300 is not as quick but its got that 2jzg-e motor so it, as well as, they do both have potential for power in the future when the kid(s) are older).

So which one and why do you think I should get it over the other? I am seriously looking at buying one or the other very soon.

thanx in advance,

Vega-

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither of those are exactly a comfortable ride.

That said, the IS 300 is a good car, but a little older. The new non oil eating G's have a buttery smooth powerband and you can get them in AWD for those exciting MN winters.

Ive driven the g35 4 door, I wasn't terribly impressed, though i like their navi units. I havent driven the IS, but the lexus' I have driven, just dont do it for me... (to be fair, its been 2 years since I drove a lexus, maybe they have gotten better.)

I hate to also not choose one of the cars you selected... But, I have been seriously considering the Hyundai Genesis. Ive only test driven them, but i can tell you from that, that they feel very solid, are rwd, and are uber comfy and spacious. I can honestly say that the ride quality is at least equal to a mercedes s class, and is far far far less expensive.

I want one. And a new camaro... and a g37... and a ferrari f430... and an SLR Mclaren... And a ducati 1198r (180hp 364lbs.. so 600lbs with me on it) ... oooh shiny objects, gotta go.

My wife has a Honda Pilot.. We LOVE that SUV after having owned Landcruisers and Suburbans. The Pilot is the best damn SUV available in all regards. It is Bigger INSIDE than the Landcruiser and it has more useful interior space than the actually larger Suburban did. The Pilots are a dream to own, easy to maintain, and far better quality than the P.O.S. chevy products. I will never own an American car EVER AGAIN.

I am driving a 1997 BMW M3/4/5 which I also track. My 5 year old loves daddy's fast car. It is as big as the 5 series in back. I will warn you that they are expensive to maintain and they need a lot of maintaining at this age. If you find a good example you can still expect to spend several thousand every year you own it.

M3drift.jpg

I am driving a 1997 BMW M3/4/5 which I also track. My 5 year old loves daddy's fast car. It is as big as the 5 series in back. I will warn you that they are expensive to maintain and they need a lot of maintaining at this age. If you find a good example you can still expect to spend several thousand every year you own it.

M3drift.jpg

Well, probably alot less if you don't horse whip it around the track every other weekend!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I just bought the boy a 7" skyjacker lift kit, 35" tires and 12" wide 16" wheels for his dodge diesel P/U. I'd get one of those, teach the kids to jump at an early age, plus you can use it to haul the "track car". :eek::lmao:

How about

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

or

Subaru WRX STi?

Those are both 4 doors and both very fast

Trans problems (alot) with both of them- and the way i drive.... when the kid would not be in the car... yeah i can't. Plus I think i made it obvious that I am striving more for the rwd cars.

I've driven both the coupe and sedan genesis. The transmission is very poor they fix that and i will buy it today. Though another thing is that I generally don't buy NEW cars. I can fix almost anything and the IS is not THAT old to me they were made till 05'. I do really love the tq of the g35s and smooth comfortable ride but when I want to swing it out sideways - here we go!

As for the bmw deal i've gone back and forth with that- the thing is every Audi, BMW, Porche, Volvo, Saab and all those euro cars- whenever I work on them they always have problems. I see more problems with those cars then I do an old fiero. The only one I can even see myself driving for the reliability factor is the benz'. Fun factor- yeah they are fun but not worth the headache from my personal experience.

I'm also NOT looking for an suv or truck. Just not my style guys. Also the 2+2 deal trust me i've considered that but I think I just NEED a 4dr at this point (unfortunately). The best two that I have seen are the g series (03 newer) and all the IS series. The m gets a little too big though I love them same goes for the gs series (lexus). BTW I have considered the is350... if I can get a stick, and the price was not too steep- you can only turn track off in the 07 up models.

vega

I just called lexus - yeah you can't get the 350 in a stick.... that's gayer than being stuck in Boy George's pants.

BTW I have considered the is350... if I can get a stick, and the price was not too steep- you can only turn track off in the 07 up models.

vega

I just called lexus - yeah you can't get the 350 in a stick.... that's gayer than being stuck in Boy George's pants.

Yeah, I was just going to chime in about the 350 but w/o a stick its pretty lame...I was considering that too for a dd after college but ohhh well....stupid Lexus.

I guess I'll be the stick in the mud and suggest a minivan. I actually argued FOR a minivan, and ended up buying a Subaru Outback when my wife got pregnant because she didn't want to drive a minivan. The Subaru is a fine car and the AWD is great when we get snow here. That doesn't make it a good kid carrier. For the first year you have to have the kid facing rearward in the car seat and even in the relatively large Outback that couldn't happen with the car seat on the passenger side of the car, so it had to be stuck in the middle between the two seats, and even there I had to scoot my seat forward for clearance. Try getting a 20 lb baby and a 10 lb carrier/car seat thingy into the middle of the car over and over and over. It's a pain in the back. Once my kid turned one and we could flip her seat around the situation became a lot more tolerable, but now my wife has her heart set on a minivan. She's probably thinking ahead...

I owned a 2003 Infiniti G35 MT6 sedan for about 3 years, it was an oil consumer though. I really liked the car; around town it was peppy, out on the hiway it was a nice quiet smooth ride, it handled well in the curves also.

As it approached 100K miles I really started considering the oil issue and traded the car off as I didn't want a 3000lb paperweight in my driveway.

100_3287.jpg

So I wound up with a black on black 2007 Charger SRT8. I like it!

(not my car but one just like it, mine is de-badged, has 5% tint on the windows and flowmaster exhaust with X pipe)

!!fZprb!BGE~$(KGrHqUOKkEErzVJ(q6pBK+cRge!1!~~_4.JPG

Have you looked into an Infiniti M45? Dead sexy and V8 powah!

Vote. Also a great Idea and the new VK's are amazing.

Benz's are fun and what not but the post 98 to the 07 models were from the chrysler years and WILL have reliability issues, just give them time. The market crash made all the yuppies sell off their Mercedes and the 97 W210 e-series with the M104 (not because I like the motor, but because the V6 replacement was crap, thanks Chrysler) can be had for substantially less right now, same goes for the W202 C class and to an extent the W124 E class. The fuel injected 6 cylinder cars can see a solid 25mpg in DD service, more if you're gentle with it and the 722.6 trans if you can get a car with it, will last you as an auto. If you're looking for a Chrysler era car I do suggest you stick with the Japanese staples but am all for the origional Benz's of 97 earlier, as even if you've got 120k on the clock, 200+ doesn't seem to phase them as much.

What about a CTS or similar GM product?