HybridZ

Is this turbo okay for an L28ET?

jacob80

• 2 weeks later...
For the guys running .63 a/r, when are you reaching full boost at?

I think for these answers to be meaningful you also need to know what "full boost" is. 8 psi and 18 psi are going to occur at different revs. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that cam choice and cam timing will have an effect as well.

FYI, I currently am running with with the mechanical wastegate actuator limited to 8 psi and a Schneider stage II turbo cam delayed 3 degrees and live at 6k feet. It generates about 3 psi at 2k and hits 8 psi around 3500 rpm.

Edit: turbo is a Garrett T3/T4OE stage 3 wheel .63 A/R

I have a feeling that you will be very dissapointed with a .82 A/R turbine. The turbo I am running can easily make 400hp and it spools reasonably fast. .63 Is about where the money is at with these motors.

Thanks for the info. I got a good deal on the T3/T04E with the .82 A/R turbine, so I can sell it and use that to get the correct turbo. I wonder what other cars might call for that turbo? Maybe the Supra guys??

Greg

Thanks for the info. I got a good deal on the T3/T04E with the .82 A/R turbine, so I can sell it and use that to get the correct turbo. I wonder what other cars might call for that turbo? Maybe the Supra guys??

Greg

I ran a T3/TO4E for quite a while with a STG 3/.82 housing. Worked fine for me, 11.50's @ 126 mph in the quarter. I used both a .63 and the .82 housings. I preferred the .82 for the top end power. Less boost creep with the .82 housing. I was using a 60 trim compressor in a .60 A/R housing.

I always wanted to try the STG 5/.82 combo, but I went to a GT35R instead.

I'm a 'B' man myself.

T04B Compressor with a 0.70 A/R and "H" trim wheel, watercooled center section, and stock hotside (0.63 A/R) with a Stage I turbine wheel.

I haven't run the turbo yet, but I have it on HybridZ authority that others using this setup have enjoyed it. Tomorrow's the day, if it doesn't rain...

I've had both the stage 3 .63 and the .82 stage in the same setup on my car. The difference was about 50whp with the spool difference about 300rpm. I make 375whp through a stalled automatic on a mustang dyno at 17-18psi with the .82 and I can get well into the 20psi range before 4k.

I ran a T3/TO4E for quite a while with a STG 3/.82 housing. Worked fine for me, 11.50's @ 126 mph in the quarter. I used both a .63 and the .82 housings. I preferred the .82 for the top end power. Less boost creep with the .82 housing. I was using a 60 trim compressor in a .60 A/R housing.

I always wanted to try the STG 5/.82 combo, but I went to a GT35R instead.

It sounds like it might work out ok then? You certainly made good power with it. 50hp for a 300 rpm difference isn't a lot....thats certainly streetable. I'm assuming that on my turbo, since it says an "O" trim that is for the compressor side? I don't know how the "O" trim compares to the 60 that you mentioned? I have no idea what the A/R is on the compressor side, but I've read that it doesn't matter as much as compared to the A/R on the turbine side? I don't know what the trim is on the turbine side either.

Greg

The O trim wheel is a turbine wheel, normally used in a T4 housing, it's smaller than the normal P trim T4 wheel. I don't remember how it compares to a stage 3 or stage 5 T3 wheel though, I'll have to look it up. Another member here(Clifton, I think) runs an O trim with a .58 a/r turbine housing and made low 400's at the rear wheels.

The O trim wheel is a turbine wheel, normally used in a T4 housing, it's smaller than the normal P trim T4 wheel. I don't remember how it compares to a stage 3 or stage 5 T3 wheel though, I'll have to look it up. Another member here(Clifton, I think) runs an O trim with a .58 a/r turbine housing and made low 400's at the rear wheels.

So the "O" trim is for the turbine huh? Well then I guess I have no idea what the trim is on the compressor, which is pretty important from what I've read. Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can find out more info about this turbo then and see if it might work or not as it is.

Greg

Does someone have a link to any technical information on the various "stages" for the T3 wheels? It seems to a be a term used by Turbonetics, and the implication is degrees of flow, but with a higher RPM L28 (camshaft) I'm wondering if any of the T3s is still suitable and doesn't choke.

BTW, the "goldilocks" link is great! And I don't think the 50 trim compressor will clear the intake manifold without a spacer....

Edited by SleeperZ

Does someone have a link to any technical information on the various "stages" for the T3 wheels? It seems to a be a term used by Turbonetics, and the implication is degrees of flow, but with a higher RPM L28 (camshaft) I'm wondering if any of the T3s is still suitable and doesn't choke.

BTW, the "goldilocks" link is great! And I don't think the 50 trim compressor will clear the intake manifold without a spacer....

Last summer when I was selecting a turbo I tried to find more info on the various "stage" wheels but didn't get beyond word of mouth. The tradeoffs between stage III and V appeared to be that the III spooled faster but didn't flow as well. Those in favor of bigger cams seemed to prefer the stage V, but it sounded like not much was happening below 3500 rpm. In the end I went with the stage III wheel along with a 3" exhaust and Schneider stage II turbo cam and have found it a good compromise, especially since I'm at altitude like you are.

And yes, the 50 trim did require a spacer to clear the intake manifold.

Edited by Zmanco