HybridZ

swapped my .63 for .82 hot side gt35r VIDEO

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha ok, ok i"ll get to the point faster.

here is another video driving to work this morning

That sucks dude. What size engine are you running? I would think a 35r with a .82 A/R hot side would be plenty large enough for an L series engine. Maybe your IC/pipes/throttle body is too restrictive and the engine just cant ingest the air fast enough because of this? Was the surge worse before the .82 swap?

After watching the video in your sig, it says 3" IC pipes. That doesn't sound restrictive at all. You can definitely see it surging when you look at the boost gauge though. That's pretty strange. Did the surging ever seem to go away in higher RPM's? I did not notice.

Edited by SATAN

Cool stuff.  I had some, what I thought was surge...and maybe it was, so I loosened the heck out of the BOV spring and no more flutter at all.  Granted, I am only running 16psi boost on a smaller turbo with a completely different setup.  Just thought I would throw in my coins.

yup yup i want to get to the dyno ASAP before i blow it up lol. boost comes on about 1k more rpm, but pulls like a monster up top. This is by far the best its ever felt

PHIL, at what rpm where you seeing full boost with the .63 and what was the boost level....and where are those two parameters now? Are you running the big cam cyl head or a stock head?

I would almost go back to the .63 and get back 1000rpms of powerband and see if the plugs do the same thing there.

Usually boost threshold GT35 is around 3400? So now 4400???

With a cap of around 6500, that is sounding awfuly 'peaky' to me.

You got nothing better to do Phil, put the .63 back on there with the new plugs and satiate all (my) curiosities. If it works, you just picked up 1000 rpms of hard pull.

If it doesn't you're only out a couple hours of your life. That's one nights drinking... :P

I would almost go back to the .63 and get back 1000rpms of powerband and see if the plugs do the same thing there.

You got nothing better to do Phil, put the .63 back on there with the new plugs and satiate all (my) curiosities. If it works, you just picked up 1000 rpms of hard pull.

If it doesn't you're only out a couple hours of your life. That's one nights drinking... :P

Ok, so looking at the gt35r map,

gt35rcompress.gif

And the 62-1 I am running,

Fig10.gif

it bothers me that there was a surge. It seams more likely that it was blowing out the spark. I am also running the .63 a/r hotside. I see 15psi by 3500rpm. I also have stock head, cam, and intake manifold minus the 60mm tb. Phil should have a better flowing motor that should be less likely to induce a compressor surge when compared to mine. I see no reason why BigPhil would be surging.

Basically I am saying I think Phil should swap the housings back and see if he can gain some spool.

Edited by jc052685

but with the .63 on there i have uncontrolible boost creep. Like it was so tight it was chocking the exhaust from coming out? Now with the .82 i have about 3-4 lbs of creep