HybridZ

American Top Gear on History Channel

wigenOut-S30

Anyone catch the premier last night? Tanner Foust, Adam Ferrara and Rutledge Wood. There seemed to be not much chemistry between them, the show seemed very scripted and they were like puppets up there. The driving sections was pretty cool though. I didn't expect much from the show so I guess I'm not too disappointed. Wonder if the will actually be able to say what they are thinking instead of cue cards. Also wonder if they will actually be able to talk bad about any cars they review. I guess its worth a watch but of course doesnt compare at all to the BBC Top Gear those 3 doddling fools are awesome together.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did see it and was pretty disappointed. Apparently the BBC thinks a US version would appeal to us than the BBC version. Personally I thing the BBC version is much much better, other than they seem to hate everything American. Maybe after a few shows Tanner and the boys will get more personality and the show will improve.

I was disappointed by the three hosts - no chemistry between them and no attempt to develop the individual characters as likable car enthusiasts with differing views & values. In general, except for the cars, the show is lame. I'll give it one more episode to grab me and then delete it from my Tivo.

Dennis

"The Cobra is about to spit its venom..." Dialog like that shows why the British version is so much better. And the visuals themselves are so over saturated with color that it looks like a cartoon. The only reason I watched is that their track is at the old El Toro marine base where we autocross every month - and I know who the Stig is. :-)

yeah, I love the BBC top gear. I believe they give honest reports of most cars (cept the Lexus LSA) their format is tried and true, so why make a US version? Well, cost likely... Other than that why? Dunno. It's great how they poke fun at americans, but hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, you've got issues. I particularly love the challenges they're given, (Here's $1500 bucks go buy a car, okay great you bought a 63 MG' (where'd you get that for 1500??) okay, now you're going to drive it across africa! have fun... ) love it..

Phar

"The Cobra is about to spit its venom..." Dialog like that shows why the British version is so much better. And the visuals themselves are so over saturated with color that it looks like a cartoon. The only reason I watched is that their track is at the old El Toro marine base where we autocross every month - and I know who the Stig is. :-)

I was thinking it was either Tanner or maybe Paul Tracy.

Anyone catch the premier last night? Tanner Foust, Adam Ferrara and Rutledge Wood. There seemed to be not much chemistry between them, the show seemed very scripted and they were like puppets up there. The driving sections was pretty cool though. I didn't expect much from the show so I guess I'm not too disappointed. Wonder if the will actually be able to say what they are thinking instead of cue cards. Also wonder if they will actually be able to talk bad about any cars they review. I guess its worth a watch but of course doesnt compare at all to the BBC Top Gear those 3 doddling fools are awesome together.

I completely agree. They were 3 zombies feigning enthusiasm. I wanted to like the show, but it really was awful especially when compared to the British version. I am not optimistic about personality or chemistry improvement with the hosts. Tanner Foust just screams d-bag IMO, it's very hard for me to listen to him. It's something about his fakeness and "I'm better than everybody else" demeanor.

LOL.. The UK version is unbeatable. My favorite show is the one where they went on a road trip through the SE USA. Seeing the rednecks chase them away from the gas station was GLORIOUS!~!!

I do not want to see another show where the talent fawns over the manliness of perfectly useless supercars. UK Top Gear is perfectly willing to talk smack about anything they get to sit in.

Keep in mind too that the US Top gear is a for profit show. They sell advertising so they have to keep their advertisers happy.

EDIT: On another forum someone made a very good point:

and like Randy said, it's definitely the best car show on TV except for the UK original.

And I agree. Where the US version comes up short is in comparison to the BBC version. Maybe they can develop their own personality in the 10 shows that have been purchased.

J. Clarkson is a hard act to follow. He is old enough to have seen a lot of changes. He is jaded enough to favor British cars, but bold enough to drag them through the dust when they don't meet the mark. He is also unwilling to settle for a middle-mined review. He either hates them or loves them. He even hates and loves them at the same time which can be surprisingly enlightening. The guy is funny as hell too, so we are not going to find another one like him.

Jay Leno might be a good man for the role though. I really like his style in car shows. Knowledgable, funny, friendly, and sharp witted. He would be completely different than Clarkson, but I think he would do wonders for the current cast if they could play well with him.