HybridZ
wfritts911

The "Ultimate" IRS Swap for S30s

wfritts911    4

Nice deal on the trak-lok. Only thing is, the SRA 8.8 differentials are slightly different compared to the IRS 8.8s. The difference being the way the axles go in. The IRS stuff uses circlips similar to the R200, the solid axle uses old fashioned c-clips. If you snap IRS axles in a SRA differential, you will have an incredibly hard time getting them out(Just getting them out of an actual IRS diff is hard). The spider gears need a bevel on the side of them to help compress the circlip, the easy way would be just to have  a machine shop bevel them, and is probably worth it if you get a good deal on a SRA diff. Or at least this is what the internet has told me.

Bout to head over to the car to get some work done. Uprights and stub axle adapters were fully tig welded on Friday. Rear mustache bar should be done, just need to mock up for fitment. Will try to get some photos posted up later tonight

-Will

texis30O    26

We like photos! Hell I like packages better!! lol... No need to rush now.  Just make sure it is right.... remember the last time I "built" a vehicle I went through 4 transmissions, 1 rearend, and severed 6 of 8 body mounts from the cab of the truck..... I only had it for 4 years...... ( all be it a Chevy SWB Z71 lifted on 35" tires) anyway my point is that in my mind if it is build to go then I will push it!!!! I have faith in you. 

SUNNY Z    12

Keith, the 8.8 uses a 31 spline inner stub axle. Cobra guys put a lot of power through these things. The Intrepid hub and the F150 outer CV are 33 spline. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't looked too in depth, but I don't recall ever seeing a broken 31 spline 8.8 stub, maybe SunnyZ can chime in on that?

-Will

DSS actually started making larger billet 33 spline stubs because some of the big hp tanks (dodge challenger @4500#) were breaking the 31 spline ones with massive amounts of power (1000+).

Other than that limited instance, I'm sure failure is not a concern.

Here's where I buy all my ford diff parts.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/products/8.8--TRACTION%252dLOK-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFFERENTIAL-31T.html

$219 shipped for a New 31 spline trac lock

texis30O    26

If you were to read previously in the post Will had a Baja event to go to for school as he was a part of the build team.

He was trying to get things wrapped up prior to his other obligations with family, school, and work. (The more important things in life)

You a re correct he has a version of this set up on his car but it is not the one he is coming to market with. He has made several improvements and wanted to show them.

I am fine with waiting, as I am the one funding the parts and labor at this point, so shouldn't you be too?

Just be patient.

Six_Shooter    13

For the record, I'm currently attending college as well (a very demanding electronics engineering program), I fully understand the lack of time.

But it takes minutes to crawl under a car and snap a few pictures to show some perspective on what is being discussed. 

We're already well through page two, with no pictures, IMO something like this should have had pictures in the first post, even if improvements are planned.

I just don't understand the resistance to showing off something that is working and is supposed to be the "ultimate" set-up. Did the OP not take any pictures when putting it together originally that could be shown?

EastTnZ    1

Let's see. You're angry there's no pictures on an unfinished rear end setup that could be the best for an s30 chassis and you're being pushy. Personally I'm waiting on it to be completed at his speed so it's done right and powder coated or the final design with all the bugs worked out. It's worth the wait. I see jacked up prices for your kit lol. Let the man breath I hated my civil engineering finals with 6+ core classes each semester for the final 2 years of college.

To the OP, good luck on finals and take pics when it's done. There's no need to rush it, the cars have been out for 44 years (older than us lol) and a little longer wait won't kill us.

Props on designing it from the wide array of parts used I can't wait to see the final product! (Now stepping off of soap box)

Edited by EastTnZ

NewZed    56

The OP should take a marketing class before he gets out of college.  Or texis300 should.  This is a classic violation of product marketing principles.  Tease, frustrate, alienate.  It's not wrong, and it's not right, it's just how people work.  This scenario is typical in bigger business - texis300 is the business manager who wants to show progress, wfritts is the engineeer with the product that's not ready but folds to pressure to release it.  The customer complains, the engineer gets a poor review, ends up quitting or gets fired.  The idea is panned as "it didn't work".  A great idea dies on the vine.

Actually, wfritts should take a Masters level marketing class and use this thread as a case study.  Probably get an A.

Not criticizing, just an impartial observation.  Kind of amusing.

Six_Shooter    13

Let's see. You're angry there's no pictures on an unfinished rear end setup that could be the best for an s30 chassis and you're being pushy. Personally I'm waiting on it to be completed at his speed so it's done right and powder coated or the final design with all the bugs worked out. It's worth the wait. I see jacked up prices for your kit lol. Let the man breath I hated my civil engineering finals with 6+ core classes each semester for the final 2 years of college.

To the OP, good luck on finals and take pics when it's done. There's no need to rush it, the cars have been out for 44 years (older than us lol) and a little longer wait won't kill us.

Props on designing it from the wide array of parts used I can't wait to see the final product! (Now stepping off of soap box)

Who's angry?

He says this is complete, he says he's been driving with this set up for 9 months already. So there's no reason he couldn't have posted a couple pictures of this complete set-up either in the first post or shortly thereafter. The thread is at least a week old (ambiguous dates of how long ago a post was made FTL), the OP has posted 7 times since this topic started and said he would post pictures by now.

Some of us just like to see at least the parts being used, that way we can see how it might all fit together, better yet a completed assembly picture is even better. It's not being pushy, it's asking for what was promised.

I'm interested in the set-up from an engineering point of view and love to see fabrication, and parts being put together that no one in their right mind would think would ever fit and work together. :) This sounds like an interesting set-up, but at this point I'd like to see some pictures, but I guess that's too much to ask according to some of you.

The OP should take a marketing class before he gets out of college.  Or texis300 should.  This is a classic violation of product marketing principles.  Tease, frustrate, alienate.  It's not wrong, and it's not right, it's just how people work.  This scenario is typical in bigger business - texis300 is the business manager who wants to show progress, wfritts is the engineeer with the product that's not ready but folds to pressure to release it.  The customer complains, the engineer gets a poor review, ends up quitting or gets fired.  The idea is panned as "it didn't work".  A great idea dies on the vine.

Actually, wfritts should take a Masters level marketing class and use this thread as a case study.  Probably get an A.

Not criticizing, just an impartial observation.  Kind of amusing.

This ^^^

On a side note, isn't the word "ultimate" just a replacement for "best"? ;)

Edited by Six_Shooter

wfritts911    4

Alright, I apologize for not getting pictures like I said I would. Im enrolled in 17 hours in a Mechanical Engineering program, work 23+ hours a week, have a girlfriend with a baby, and was busting ass trying to get the Baja SAE car ready last weekend. Then I spent all last week destroying said Baja SAE car in the middle of a dust storm in El Paso, TX. I had hoped to get everything ready before I left, but the waterjet up at work was booked up and wasn't able to get the final diff mounts cut. I'm way to busy I'll admit, I beyond overbooked myself the past several weeks. I'll also admit I am the absolute worst at taking photos. I always intend to document my projects well, and then I get my hands dirty and in the zone, and I just build stuff and never stop to take pictures.

Forgive me for prioritizing designing and building the parts vs spending time trying to market them. If I was better at marketing than engineering you all probably wouldn't want to buy my products, fortunately it's the other way around. Please be patient with me while I get this setup rolling, I was not ready to make a thread but it got brought up in a thread over on the V8 forums so I figured I better come clean over here. I was hoping to be done with it by now, but set backs happened.

But I will post up what I have with me, sorry for letting everyone down and then running off out of town for a week. The setup is real and I have been running it for ~9 months, but like I said, never really photographed my setup when I built it.

Here is the upright setup in the jig before it got tig welded

post-27433-0-75394900-1398789260_thumb.jpg

CNC'ing the mustache bar mounting piece from some 6061 Aluminum

post-27433-0-15155900-1398789266_thumb.jpg

This is the stub axle after it was tig welded. I CNC the flange and then weld it on the the stock stub axle after the CV cage area is cut off

post-27433-0-22316600-1398789270_thumb.jpg

Here is an extremely awful picture of the mustache bar on the car holding the differential up

post-27433-0-94997400-1398789274_thumb.jpg

Here is the brake setup on the base plate of the upright. Wilwood 4 piston calipers with 2 piece rotors. It's nice!

post-27433-0-94768000-1398789334_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-32329600-1398789344_thumb.jpg

I've got a test that I have to makeup tomorrow that I will be studying for late tonight. Hopefully I can get the new mustache bar and the front mount cutout today or tomorrow and will have a chance to get them done before this weekend. The uprights are welded up I just have to make the strut tubes.

Hopefully this will hold you all over for a bit, Sean has been more than patient with me while I redo this setup. When I was doing the swap to my car i was pressed for time as summer break was ending and didn't quite do it like I should have, so I am redoing some things now.

wfritts911    4

Here is a really awful picture of me rolling down a very steep drop off in the Suspension and Traction run. Dented to top roll bar and had to section it out an splice in a new one in the middle of a dust storm.

post-27433-0-33357600-1398790870_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-37043300-1398791130_thumb.jpg

Also here is the mustache bar fresh off the waterjet

post-27433-0-63045600-1398791143_thumb.jpg

-Will

Pics really do help paint a better picture. Thanks for that.

If you are overbooked, just let people know you need time. I don't think anyone can fault you for that. You haven't taken anyone's money, and you have peaked some interest in people. I think it's the long silence that gets people.

Just excuse yourself out until you are ready. Parts look pretty good will be nice to see how things all come together.

I do vote for a picture of the uprights on the car when you get the chance.