#41 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts
  • LocationSeattle area, WA

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:31 PM

Should be able to do an LSx swap and strip the interior add some fiberglass and end up around 2100 lbs with an early 240 also (one of our members has a 6 cylinder set up for autox at 1900 lbs), with a weight distribution of about 47/53 front to rear. That should be a KICK ASS track car. It will be mine... oh yes, it will be mine! ;-)

Jon Mortensen, owner/operator www.petdoorstore.com

#42 Phantom

Phantom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2672 posts
  • LocationYakima, Washington

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:06 AM

Jon,
You going to run a T5 behind it rather than the heavier T56?

'77 280Z with LS1/T56, '93 Z32 convertible, '05 Audi A8L, '02 Suburban LT

#43 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12441 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:53 AM

I don't know. Got probably 5 years or more to sort that out. Maybe TKO? I need to blow up or wear out my L6 which only has 1500 miles on it, and in order to do that I have to get it on the road, which is probably still a year off. It's going to happen, just don't hold your breath.

I hope someone beats me to it. I've been hoping to see a really lightweight LS Z for a while now. Closest I think I've seen so far is the red one that has all the chassis bracing. It's Kipperman's car, the one that tube80z is always posting pics of. That one is 2500. That's not bad, but it should be pretty easy to get the thing way under the stock weight the way I figure.

#44 qwik240z

qwik240z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Suburbs of Washington, DC

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

Mine weighed 2550 before I did the brake and diff upgrade and added A/C. I bet it is around 2650-2700 now. I will get it weighed soon.

I would think if I had wanted to strip it down for the track, I could have shaved 200-250 pounds or so.

Mike Kelly is building a track car and he is considering an LSx motor. Maybe he can get it down to 2200-2300#

What do you think Mike?
ENJOY THE RIDE!
David

72 240Z
Code name:Silver Bullet
2002 LS1, w/ 6 speed
2650 pounds
340RWHP/365RW TORQUE
Posted Image Posted Image

#45 Savage42

Savage42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationSarasota, FL

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

The answer is definitely "YES". Since Dave has shown he can get this to work in an autocross and take top times out of 150+ cars, it can work. If you can make it work well for quick, tight stuff like autocrossing, stuff like track days, hillclimbs, etc is a piece of cake.

Example: http://forums.hybrid...ad.php?t=122599

Gary Savage - http://www.Savage42.com

#46 heavy85

heavy85

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

Yes, a V8 powerd 240Z can be made to turn but I have yet to see one on a track keep up with a SCCA ITS prepared 200 hp 240Z. That has nothing to do with the potential of a V8 240Z and everything to do with the desired goals of folks doing V8 swaps. It takes a lot of money and time to properly prepare, setup, and tune a dedicated track car and very few people want to build a single purpose car.

It's an old thread but ... had a big track weekend. Fastest ITS/ITA/SM were running 1:24's flying laps and I ran a 1:22.8 FROM A STANDING START (high speed AutoX) and in the 1:20's flying laps. So yes an LS Z can keep up. I'm also only an average driver so a good driver could easily take two seconds off my time and this is a street car I drove 200 miles to get there. These times were on F/A Hoosier slicks but also ran 1:22's flying laps on my RE01 Potenza's. This was at Blackhawk Farms which is an old 1.95 mile track in far northern Illinois.

Cameron

#47 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

Off topic, but it's been almost exactly 5 years since JMortensen's statement that it would take "5 years to sort out" his car. Any updates?

And speaking of 5 years ago, back then the "traditional" small block vs. LS-series was still somewhat of a serious debate. Today that hardly seems to be the case. Where has all the time gone?

#48 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12441 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

I've got almost enough parts to put it together, but have been tied down with the diff business for an extended period of time, and now I'm changing the software I use for my other business (www.thepetdoorstore.com), so I figure next year, IF I can actually get out to the shop and work on the thing. At this point that is a big if. I haven't given up though. Aiming at 2250 lbs now, since that is the min weight for XP.

#49 cobramatt

cobramatt

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Yes, a V8 powerd 240Z can be made to turn but I have yet to see one on a track keep up with a SCCA ITS prepared 200 hp 240Z. That has nothing to do with the potential of a V8 240Z and everything to do with the desired goals of folks doing V8 swaps. It takes a lot of money and time to properly prepare, setup, and tune a dedicated track car and very few people want to build a single purpose car.

I think it is sometimes funny when I read old posts about "will an LS setup in a 240 turn or cant keep up with a 200 hp SCCA ITS prepped car"

Well, just for the record.................My car turns like a 600 hp go cart and runs in an unlimited division based on lap times with pretty good results. 6 wins in 6 races this year. Not bad for a 45 year old Vintage banger.

No disrespect. Just thought it was funny.

Matt

Attached Files

Matt #88

What's the secret to making a small fortune racing cars.................start with a large fortune.

#50 Mikelly

Mikelly

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6285 posts
  • LocationVirginia, United States of America

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Matt, It's simply you posting results. Simple as that. My car, hampered by significant mechanical gremlins ran only two laps and ran as fast as Greg Ira's customer's car at Summit Main and that car was in a vintage class above ITS. Had my car not been hampered with eleectrical/oil issues, I would have dropped at minimum another 5-7 seconds. But when you have no RPM above 4800, you can't very well run SCCA T1 times (ITS times aren't a concern or measuring stick in my mind).

Mike

Edited by Mikelly, 13 September 2012 - 04:35 AM.

Follow me on FB at Mike's Hobby Shop!

I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!
mjk 1994

#51 cobramatt

cobramatt

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Matt, It's simply you posting results. Simple as that. My car, hampered by significant mechanical gremlins ran only two laps and ran as fast as Greg Ira's customer's car at Summit Main and that car was in a vintage class above ITS. Had my car not been hampered with eleectrical/oil issues, I would have dropped at minimum another 5-7 seconds. But when you have no RPM above 4800, you can't very well run SCCA T1 times (ITS times aren't a concern or measuring stick in my mind).

Mike

BTW: I found your YouTube stuff and subscribed. One question, The Mark you are following at VIR, is that the Mark in N. Carolina? I want to know because his rear suspension and flares look fantastic. It looks very planted in the corners. Something I've been fighting. Want to verify what his set up is exactly.

Matt

Matt #88

What's the secret to making a small fortune racing cars.................start with a large fortune.

#52 Mikelly

Mikelly

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • 6285 posts
  • LocationVirginia, United States of America

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

That is Mark indeed... Those clips were shot when I was still new to the Porsche and still learning my way, and Mark was sorting his car. My advantage in HP was no match for his slicks and weight advantage, or his lack of fear. Mark is a hot shoe driver. Don't let him fool you... He and John Tedder both (JT1 here)!

Mike

Follow me on FB at Mike's Hobby Shop!

I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!
mjk 1994

#53 RebekahsZ

RebekahsZ

Life Member

• Donating Members
  • 5389 posts
  • LocationFlorence, Alabama

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Why, oh why, isn't this stupid thread in the tool bin?

1972 240z, purchased in 1991 for $900. Bone stock LS2/T56/DBW from 2006 GTO, swap completed in 2011. 400rwhp/435 rwtq. 2400# minus driver. JCI swap, Mantic ER2 clutch kit, JTR headers, single exhaust, Borla muffler, MGW shifter, M2 Differentials shortened Z31 CV axles, Z31 CLSD R200, Chequered Flag Racing billet stubs and companion flanges. MSD 2-step, Hurst roll control, both operated from switches on clutch pedal. 9" Hoosier drag slicks on Weld Draglites, 245/45/16 Hoosier A6/R6 on 16X8+10 Rota RBR. 225/250 sectioned coilovers, Koni 8610-1437RACE shocks, DP and EMI camber plates, MM shortened rear control arms, TTT front control arms, poly and aluminum bushings. Top speeds: Ohio Mile 174mph, C/GMS class record holder, best 1/8 mile 6.96 at 100mph, best 1/4-mile 11.0 at 126mph, best 60' 1.43, best 1/2-mile 148mph at GA 1/2-mile. Home Track-Jake's Dragway, Moulton, AL. SCCA autocross club - TVR, Huntsville, AL. Lets race!

#54 peej410

peej410

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

So the search function works if someone ever questions it again
Posted Image

#55 dreco

dreco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationFrisco, TX

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

My 240Z weighed in at 2290 with ls6 engine/ t56tranny swap, cage, no fluids, no hood.   I've since taken the heater core and dash out.  This will be a dedicated track toy.

1972 240Z LS6/T56

#56 260DET

260DET

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2859 posts
  • LocationWarwick, Q, Australia

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:54 PM

Pity this thread died, there was some interesting talk going on, particularly about circuit racing. I'm a furriner and for what it's worth I think that the LS is the best engine ever, seriously. Built and currently race a LS3 engined 280ZX and have started a more serious race Project Z31 which will also be LS powered with a four speed auto. People will argue over the choice of an auto but with the LS torque spread who needs a six speed lump like the T56 when a lighter five speed like the Tremec 6060 can contribute to faster lap times if you prefer a manual, the LS simply does not need a six speed. Unless it's over cammed to the extent that it loses what makes it great, a brilliant torque spread.

Edited by 260DET, 25 August 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#57 260DET

260DET

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2859 posts
  • LocationWarwick, Q, Australia

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:55 PM

Pushed da wrong button.

Edited by 260DET, 25 August 2016 - 10:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users