HybridZ

Best swap for mid-engine balance

My first and foremost concern after I buy this car is making a true mid-engine. Between the SR, VQ, LS3 and there is one other I am forgetting that is a cheap swap. What would allow me to get the closest to a 50-50 balance?

I have heard of RB25 + AWD, and RB26 + AWD, but would an AWD with any of the engined mentioned above be possible?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first and foremost concern after I buy this car is making a true mid-engine. Between the SR, VQ, LS3 and there is one other I am forgetting that is a cheap swap. What would allow me to get the closest to a 50-50 balance?

I have heard of RB25 + AWD, and RB26 + AWD, but would an AWD with any of the engined mentioned above be possible?

Search for some weight threads, these cars are around 50:50 out of the box depending on how much gas youve got in the tank, and theres quite a large number of people with a REAR biased weight with L-series engines. Dont let that long hood fool you, these cars are not front-heavy by any stretch of the imagination.

a smaller v6 is going to be the absolute best in this regard. Well actually, a v2 would be better, but those don't exist as far as I'm aware. I know the VQ's and VG's are big V6's, but I believe the vg ends up very centered. That said though, they are heavier than an L series (iirc), and are a pretty involved swap. I'd say just stick with an L series, and you'll be happy. You could push it back a bit if you really wanted, but that wouldn't really be worth it if you ask me.

I'm with sideways on this one, the car is fairly balanced high 40's to/low 50's depending on driver weight and fuel on board. The strangeness you get into is that the L engine is cast iron, so running an SR would actually push the bias to the rear, but with the extra metal in the front (oil cooler, intercooler, intercooler piping, etc) it can bring the car back to the original state, although you are hanging more weight in front of the front axle.

KA is another very affordable swap.

And there is a V2, motorcylce engine, harley's come to mind. That would put you at mid engine in wheel base if that's what you were looking for, granted the weight distribution would be off, and you could potentially pop a wheely but the v twin probably won't get anywhere near enough hp. There's even a V4 found in one of the alfa romeo vehicles

Saab also had a V4 in their Sonnets, some were even two -stroke I think. This engine would not be nearly as powerful as the L6 though. More appropriate would be Ducati's Desmosedici V4, around 200HP. But like stated above, these engines would be so far behind the front axle line that handling would be thrown way off without substantial modifications.

Move the battery to the right rear. DONE!

Is there any advantage to having more rear weight bias? It seems to me that having a little more front bias, or 50-50 is better, because then you keep weight on the front wheels for steering. Although I suppose you can put the power down sooner with less wheelspin... What're the facts on this, John?

Is there any advantage to having more rear weight bias? It seems to me that having a little more front bias, or 50-50 is better, because then you keep weight on the front wheels for steering. Although I suppose you can put the power down sooner with less wheelspin... What're the facts on this, John?

The big deal isn't really the bias, but more-so the location of that weight. The more centralized the weight, the smaller the polar moment of inertia. This means the car can change direction easier. This is most beneficial in autoX situations, where you have many quick transitions, slaloms, etc. However, since it makes it easier for the car to change direction, it also has a destabilizing effect. The vehicle will be more "twitchy" and prone to spin in the hands of a novice driver. Wheelbase is also a factor in this, a longer one will provide more stability (tires have a bigger lever arm on CG).

BTW, there are plenty of V2 and V4 engines in existence! Of course the V-twin comes to mind with the V2, anybody want to try that swap? :lol:

As for V4, many classic (can I call them that?) Russian vehicles used V4 engines, namely ZAZ (Zaporozhets).

Here's a cool article I dug up: http://www.carthrottle.com/obsolete-engines-101-the-mythical-v4/

Let's see those V4 swaps guys. Who wants to be the first one? I think I'm going with the big, 1.2L aircooled ZAZ. 42HP! :lmao:

The stock L6 engine moved back 6" and down 2" gives a 48F/52R weight distribution with a composite hood and hatch.

And you guys responded too quickly - this thread was Shed material. There is no BEST!

:mellow:

Please do not shred me.

If anything I'll never ask a question again if you can tell me some good books/manuals to read that give me a comprehensive understanding of the Fairlady Z. Where it has been, where it is going, and how far you can take it. I would buy that book and eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I agree with RTz, if you really want to learn about the S30 start by reading all of the FAQ's. From there go to the specific sub-forum and search for the topic you are wanting and read everything you find there. It will consume a lot of time, but you will learn more than you can about the s30 than from books you could buy (don't be afraid to donate some of the money you would have spent on the books). I am not knowcking subject specific books which are still invaluable, but when it comes to specifically the s30, most of it can be found here.

I would be interested in any info/pics of your cooling system relocation. I had always thought it would be a good idea. I thought thru radiational cooling of the lines, only a small radiator w/electric fan would be needed(at low speeds). Once you get going, ducts from quarter windows would handle air flow to the radiator. A concern may be how to get the hot air out. vents in the hatch would let water in and aero wise I am not sure. Vents to behind rear wheels may work, would look cool if done right. Anything to rear of car I think would not work, from everything I have read about smelly exhaust in cars. Should be a great way to move weight back/ clean up engine bay. Not a daily driver mod.