HybridZ

Left key on overnight. What did I burn up?

Edit - It was the fuel pump.  Replaced it and it starts.

I have a 77 280Z.  I was testing different LED bulbs last night and like an idiot left the key in the ON position overnight. 

I recharged the battery and the car cranks fine but wont fire.  What did I burn up?  What should I try replacing first, the ignition coil maybe, or something else?

Edited by BitchinZ

So this is a stock 280Z?  No electrical modifications, correct? The battery turns the engine over but you have no spark, correct?  I'm assuming that you checked to be sure that the fuel pump is providing fuel pressure and that the injectors are actually firing?

If all that is true and the only problem is no spark then work backward through the system.  Check each plug for spark. Pull the distributor apart and check the internals to ensure nothing is cracked or broken. Even a cracked cap could cause the system to not fire.  You're positive the coil is good? You could have two bad coils if you're trying used ones.  Don't remember but I think you should have a fusible link in the system there somewhere so check them to make sure it's not burned through.  Hopefully iyou won't end up back at the ECM or the ignition switch on the column.

It has spark now but not getting fuel.  The rotor had threw off the metal ground piece, found it sitting there in the dist.  Replaced it and now has white spark.  Ballast resistor tested at 1.6 ohms.

Its not pumping fuel.  I understand that the fuel pump only comes on when starting, so I think leaving the key in the ON position wouldnt burn it up.  Tomorrow Im going to see it I can hear the pump with the starter wire disconnected or go under there and see if its getting power with the multimeter.

If the pump is working Ill look into the relay above the hood latch.  After that Im not sure what Ill check next.

Edited by BitchinZ