HybridZ

A musician's therapist (The $300 Z)

22 minutes ago, jpndave said:

Ouch!!! That is spendy for a couple pieces of rubber!

Progress looks great though!

Some older options that were cheaper are unfortunately NLA so this is basically it. Couldn't find any place that had them cheaper 😕 

Fortunately that's as spendy as any of the rubber seals and boots have gotten. Most pieces I've gotten in decent kits or very reasonable prices individually. Some OEM bump stops and rubber are only $9 vs $7 for aftermarket in some cases so I've gone OEM where the prices are reasonable. 

Painter had a bit of a waist injury, and was concerned about the paint drying properly due to heat in the times of day he's been available to paint it this week.

Car is now moved over to the paint booth after checking and respraying some primer, and color will go on early tomorrow. Reassembly will start Friday afternoon! Getting more and more excited to see it :)

Apparently some of the mechanics and employees at the shops next to his keep wanting to take a look. They're all interested in the car haha. He mentioned today that he's had to shoo some of them away when they keep nagging him about seeing the finished product because he doesn't want them messing with anything. 

5 hours ago, rossman said:

Can't wait to see it painted!  I'm just now reading thru your thread.  Not sure how I missed it before.  Keep up the great work and please keep sharing!  I have dropped the ball on my build thread due to shear laziness.

Thanks for the kind words! I've followed your thread a bit in the past and actually taken a bit of of inspiration from it and other similar ones that pushed me towards the subtle OEM+ styling with modest upgrades. I'll also hopefully be installing Vintage AC soon before the interior upholstery and carpeting gets done.

We. Have. COLOR.

Painter sent me some videos but it's pretty grainy. Looks like the video got really compressed when sent in MMS (android problems... I love my phone, but I do acknowledge it comes with some downsides when most other people are using iPhones and media messages default to a dated format that both are compatible with)

Will post some pictures tomorrow when I'm at the shop to drop off seals/rubber bump stops and help with assembly to get it back home. Or later today when the painter sends me a few.

2 hours ago, Zetsaz said:

We. Have. COLOR.

Painter sent me some videos but it's pretty grainy. Looks like the video got really compressed when sent in MMS (android problems... I love my phone, but I do acknowledge it comes with some downsides when most other people are using iPhones and media messages default to a dated format that both are compatible with)

Will post some pictures tomorrow when I'm at the shop to drop off seals/rubber bump stops and help with assembly to get it back home. Or later today when the painter sends me a few.

NOT most people Omar. I am an Android user. My wife is Ipod, which she loves. I agree media across formats get condensed if not done properly.

LMK if you want to hands on this Vintage unit we have here before you buy. It is a pretty tidy unit.

Car is looking great! I'm super excited to see it.

1 hour ago, jpndave said:

NOT most people Omar. I am an Android user. My wife is Ipod, which she loves. I agree media across formats get condensed if not done properly.

LMK if you want to hands on this Vintage unit we have here before you buy. It is a pretty tidy unit.

Car is looking great! I'm super excited to see it.

I'll have to take a look before I order for sure! I think the mms compression is why android has a reputation of low quality cameras with iPhone users. Even though they compress both directions just so the media message format is compatible with both. Regardless, I'll have better photos and maybe a video after It's put back together. 

In the middle of reassembly. Between the change in personel and the painter trying to finish it for me in the time he had committed to he missed an area under the front windshield and the color didn't spray evenly on the deep end of the fuel area where the fuel door bolts, so hopefully we'll be able to tape up and cover the car and do a quick spray just so we get even color on those tight spots.

Hoping to have it out and driving by the end of day either way! Taking some pictures as I go, but it's mostly motivating me to get stuff like carpeting and upholstery done so the outer finish on the paint doesn't look near new against some of the ratty and worn out interior and engine bay haha

Update: wasn't able to finish reassembly today :(

Not a ton more to go, but a few hiccups came up. The tight spots that got missed are being sprayed first thing the morning. That's the smallest issue. Need to pickup some more hardware for the front turn signals the went missing. 

The biggest issue right now: one of the painter's past employees that's no longer there wasn't responding and supposedly doesn't know where one of the rods for the driver door is that connects the handle to the actual latch to open it. I've been helping reassemble and put on new weatherstripping that was never there when I dropped it off so it all gets put in the right place, but the painter had to call up the past employee and couldn't get a response of how he organized the door parts. 😕

Hoping it turns up tomorrow. Regardless, I am ever the optimist and most of it is looking soooo nice. Other than the driver door situation, they're better aligned than they used to be and the passenger door closes real easy. Excited to finally use the brand new door handles I got from black dragon for $5 years ago when they were closing.

It's far from perfect, but for my budget and goals it's actually exceeded my expectations. 

Edited by Zetsaz

1 hour ago, Jboogsthethug said:

You're such a tease! I can't wait to see the finished car! This is in SLC, right?

Yeah, it's in SLC! Fine... You get some progress pics haha. Most of these don't show the not as nice areas, but you can see the area under the windshield that didn't get color.

That one's on me... When sprayed the engine bay in black, I had a pretty defined line there, so the painter kept the line, and I didn't specify that all that area I did want in color. I should have specified since when the cowl is off it just bleeds into the engine bay which wasn't being done. We're gonna paint that area, or at least get a tiny patch with a line that aligns with the fender tomorrow. 

Other than that, you can also see I swapped over to an oem 240z mirror

Never liked the later plastic ones, and all the aftermarket ones I actually enjoyed were way too much, so I had the original holes patched to clean it up for the early style mirror. 

20200821_185912.jpg

20200821_190912.jpg

20200821_191101.jpg

20200821_192029.jpg

Edited by Zetsaz

5 hours ago, Jboogsthethug said:

Dang that looks sick!! Did he polish those pieces up or did they come out of paint like that?

It had a quick buff but more was done after those pics. 

5 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

Looking good! Hard to go wrong with blue on a Z. What's the color from?

The color is Lexus ultrasonic blue 2.0! Not an exact match since it isn't factory of course, but it turned out exactly as I envisioned. Was sort of matching whatever colors were in the sky on the drive home :) finished late after a long day so I didn't get a ton of pics, but here are a few.

20200822_182544.jpg.60c4ed44e0fa875d12ab1e7c8e6a986d.jpg

20200822_182504.jpg.79875148b5bc7da44357415451454be9.jpg

It's niece approved! IMG-20200822-WA0015.jpg.09e7eb749c0028d08087762297e602e7.jpg

And finally, this is literally the first time I've washed my project. Waxed it after it was put back together. I bought these emblems with some other stuff when Black dragon auto was going out of business and I told myself I wouldn't cover that vent hole with them until the car got paint. Was slightly surreal seeing them in place and driving it home. 20200822_180705.jpg.7e024da56eba8f8386c54f1ec25d426e.jpg

Still lots to go though! Some door stuff is being finicky, the door seals are... Not ideal haha, and the Hatch seal or some of the new rubber pieces need adjustment. Passenger side looks raised as you get to the bottom. 

Will probably order bumpers before AC. As great as the car looks, I've always felt the front end especially looks unfinished without them. 

I'm really diggin' that dark blue with the brown interior. 😎. Car looks amazing, I wish I was in town to run over and take a look. Should be perfect for some beautiful canyon cruises,  leaves were already changing up by Heber this past week.