HybridZ

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2020 at 3:22 PM, DuffyMahoney said:

Well it runs, but terrible.  I have a massive vac leak, either from my balance bar not sealing or maybe a throttle body wasn't bolted down correctly, I had issues with one not seating well.  Even with throttle plates in the fully closed position it runs happily at 900 rpms. So it's getting a ton of air from somewhere.  

Hi there. Did you find the sources of your vacuum leaks? I had an airbox on mine so it was easier to chase them using a smoke tester. Amazing how many leaks you will find when you think everything is sealed properly. All is properly sealed now, i had to use sealer in some placed that i didnt think would ever leak but before i chased them all i noticed that as the engine got warmer, the worse the leaks got, so the revs rose even higher.

Following your thread, i've not put any idle air control on mine, would be nice to  have. At present i have to feather the gas pedal for about 40 seconds and it usually all settles down pretty quickly after that.

Edited by 24OZ

6 hours ago, 24OZ said:

Hi there. Did you find the sources of your vacuum leaks? I had an airbox on mine so it was easier to chase them using a smoke tester. Amazing how many leaks you will find when you think everything is sealed properly. All is properly sealed now, i had to use sealer in some placed that i didnt think would ever leak but before i chased them all i noticed that as the engine got warmer, the worse the leaks got, so the revs rose even higher.

Following your thread, i've not put any idle air control on mine, would be nice to  have. At present i have to feather the gas pedal for about 40 seconds and it usually all settles down pretty quickly after that.

I had a throttle body not seated all the way.  I switched from studs on the intake to bolts and it fixed it. I am in the middle of tuning and trying some settings.  Frustrating, but also sort of fun! There are so so many settings!  I am also trying to track down a weird hesitation that seems to come and go, so either spark or fuel.  

I kind of wish I would have made a hand throttle using my stock choke lever for bumping the rpms for warm up, sure would have been easier.  With the same tune, the engine doesn't run the same with the large balance bar. Also have the balance bar after the injectors isn't ideal.  

4 hours ago, DuffyMahoney said:

I kind of wish I would have made a hand throttle using my stock choke lever for bumping the rpms for warm up, sure would have been easier.  With the same tune, the engine doesn't run the same with the large balance bar. Also have the balance bar after the injectors isn't ideal.  

Not a bad idea, very old school, like the 240Z originally had, maybe you can retro fit the original system. We call it a Choke in the UK, not sure if you call it the same thing.