HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Oh oh, the word it out! Sarah the Webwatcher at Nissan Sport has us listed on her "Sarah's Hot Topics" on the Nissan Sport webpage.

Well, I didn't admit anything illegal, I paid money to get on the track and have the speeds verified. The rest of you giving time deates and photos on the other hand....

Muahahahahaha!

147 in my 83 280zx n/a mild cam and suspension according to the ticket in 1999 COPS are were so nice to not arrest me.:-D speed-o was 85 for a while, but did have to join the navy to avoid problems :icon52:

142 in my 84 zx n/a which was the same speed that the motor died while racing a viper on I-10, in 2001. coming home from navy school.:icon11:

and now I just cruise to morosso in west palm beach to let out any frustration. tickets suck and cost almost $6000 with the sr-22 insurance i had to have. DO Not drive like a moron.

A Z can go fast depending on what you mean by fast and what the setup is, and yes there are always "fishing stories". You be the judge.

I think a factory stock 280Z might be able to reach 135 or so. Just a guess. Any faster and I may call "fishing story".

My Z with the L28ET in it's current tune and configuration (300rwhp) FEELS like it will do about 145-155mph. I would never try it on the streets here. I would love to try it under controlled conditions. Call me wuss. I feel that as we get older, we get wiser, sometimes. :wink:

Sorry being wise and non-observant, I didn't even realize this is in the V8 section. I lack two cylinders.

A Z can go fast depending on what you mean by fast and what the setup is, and yes there are always "fishing stories". You be the judge.

Well anything over ~135 MPH I feel is suspect unless they have ALOT more than stock HP

I think a factory stock 280Z might be able to reach 135 or so. Just a guess. Any faster and I may call "fishing story".

My point exactly most have just a guess, but post it as fact. If you read this thread you will find at least one unbelieveable feat with a 260 Z.

My Z with the L28ET in it's current tune and configuration (300rwhp) FEELS like it will do about 145-155mph.

I'm sure it FEELS like it can, but I bet it won't not with only 300 RWHP. From what many have repeatedly posted it takes ALOT of hp for a Z to reach higher MPH. TonyD for one has posted many times the physics of the feat and what hp is needed. The boasts made in this thread came no where near the required HP for the MPH they claimed.

That isn't an "I think, I feel, or I believe" that is from physics. But I still believe there are many entertaining posts contained in this thread.

Tony D and I had a $1 bet for a number of years on whether my Rusty Old Datsun could break 150 mph. For those that don't know what the car was, there's a link about a dozen posts above in this thread.

The fastest I personally drove it was 142 in turn 8 at WSIR. Erik Messley claims 148 mph in the same spot on the same track, based on rpm. I was never able to get the car to 150 mph on a race track but I might have been able to get it to that speed at Cal Speedway on the Roval had I raced there. So, the $1 was never collected by me.

185mph... GPS verified... NOT the Datsun... :wink:

Previous owner made it to 204MPH, gps verified, and the footage was on the internet until he came to his senses and removed it...

Mike

185mph... GPS verified... NOT the Datsun... :wink:

Previous owner made it to 204MPH, gps verified, and the footage was on the internet until he came to his senses and removed it...

Mike

The P!

I've been having fuel starvation issues at high rpm, but I attribute it to the p/o plugging the fuel vent line at the tank. Once I fix that (and get my ported and polished head, and then get my carbs back from Rebello) I might try again. My personal best so far is 104 on the GPS. It managed to just tick over 5k on the tach. '72 240 with L-28, '78 5-speed, and 3.9 r-200. 195-60-R14 tires, but eventually I'll change those too.

Calculator tells me I should be able to hit 133 @ 6500.

Kinda sad though, that I've gone faster in my 1970 4x4 Suburban.

Well anything over ~135 MPH I feel is suspect unless they have ALOT more than stock HP

My point exactly most have just a guess, but post it as fact. If you read this thread you will find at least one unbelieveable feat with a 260 Z.

I'm sure it FEELS like it can, but I bet it won't not with only 300 RWHP. From what many have repeatedly posted it takes ALOT of hp for a Z to reach higher MPH. TonyD for one has posted many times the physics of the feat and what hp is needed. The boasts made in this thread came no where near the required HP for the MPH they claimed.

That isn't an "I think, I feel, or I believe" that is from physics. But I still believe there are many entertaining posts contained in this thread.

Wait, are you saying a Z with 300 whp WONT be able to hit 145-55? And only "feels" like it can?

How does a motorcyle verify a speed? From what I've heard bike speedos are just as off, if not MORE off than most cars.

GPS is the only realistic way for the average person to verify a speed in my opinion. That or a ticket...

T-56 with .50/1 OD, 3.70 LSD and 215/55-16 tires. Car is geared for 240 MPH at 6,000 RPM. Top speed limited by driver courage to 130. MSA Aero II kit had it solid to road at that speed. As they say in aviation - "There are old pilots & there are bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots".