HybridZ

South Bend Clutch

midnightzxt

• 4 years later...

Bump.

I have a friend that swears by these and I'm thinking about getting one that is rated at 300 WTQ.

It's a TZ Series Stage 2 225mm clutch for a 240sx [i'm running a lightweight 225mm 240sx flywheel]

tz.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this, just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with it in the last... wow almost 5 years.

Its worth your money to buy something big enough to handle your power goals in the future. I ended up buying three clutches for my set up because i kept buying a heavy duty enough one to just handle what i was running currently. I finally just broke down and bought an act 6 puck with hd pp. well worth the money

Well the thing is my end goal with the turbo was 300WHP, so I'm thinking it'll be fine for what I have. I wouldn't imagine that I had much more than 200WHP, if that.

I'm using stock turbo injectors and at 8 lbs boost they are already needing to be replaced. I never really figured I'd get more than 250WHP out of a stock T3, FMIC, and MegaSquirt. I'm planning on 11-12 lbs boost after I break in the new clutch and get some 380cc injectors.

I know I could drop money on higher power clutches, but I was just seeing if anyone had experience with South Bend Clutches.

I'm really only needing this until next summer, when I plan to pick up a Fidanza, which is 240mm.

Also, I'm still debating a LSX swap in a year or so, and I don't want to spend big $$$ on a clutch that I won't ever fully use.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I just got off the phone with South Bend....

I'm amazed. The guy blew my mind, I had to buy it right then. I'm getting a 240mm Clutch, part number K06032, with 390WTQ, 15% firmer pedal feel, and a modified collar and TOB for $225!!!

Not only was it rated at 390WTQ, they use a Z33 Pressure plate on an organic disc, and they knew that my throw out bearing collar needed to be shorter and included it and a TOB at no extra cost! I was considering ordering a ACT N013 PP and 6 puck clutch but I didn't want it to be nasty to drive on the street.

I called to ask about the clutch because there was a discrepancy on their website, the 280ZX L28ET page said the K06032 held 260WTQ, but the 300ZX VG30ET page said the K06032 held 390 WTQ. He confirmed that the 300ZX page was accurate and they hadn't updated the S130 page

The best part, was when the guy said [without me telling him about it] "Hold on, I need to talk with my Nissan guy." *turns around* "hey, he needs a different collar, right?" *other guy* "280Z? yeah..."

Then tells me to expect it in the mail four days from now :shock:

A++ South Bend/DXD Clutch!

Wanna know how awsome this one is to drive around town?? lol. Rated at 512ft/lbs I think. However the syncros do love it. Shifts are much faster and more smooth into each gear!

How bad is it? I have a Fidanza lightweight flywheel, It wasn't an issue on the 225mm KA24 clutch but I'm sure it would be really difficult to get used to on the 512 WTQ ACT N013 and 6 Puck....

• 3 weeks later...

Got my new clutch in yesterday, hit the starter switch and "clunk."

The 350Z Pressure Plate South Bend sent me hits the 78 5 Speed Bell housing. I just sent an email, we'll see what happens next week I suppose.

I prefer to have the 350Z Pressure plate as it's rated higher than an other of their organic discs, so I might try to find an extra bell housing and get it machined down.

Anyone have a 5 Speed housing they want to get rid of? email me at flatblack280 at gmail dot com.

I had a great experience with them, rear main seal leaked ruining my disc, they rebuilt the clutch for less than 1/2 of the new price which included a new disc with their upgraded friction material (mine was an older version). This was for my 7m-gte in the 510.

• 6 months later...

The 350Z Pressure Plate South Bend sent me hits the 78 5 Speed Bell housing. I just sent an email, we'll see what happens next week I suppose.

It wasn't hitting the bellhousing, I had a "doh" moment and didn't realise it until I pulled the tranny again :blink:

I am very happy with my DXD South Bend Clutch, firm, crisp engagement, greater pedal feel, and it is holding up well to the abuse I am giving it.

Wanna know how awsome this one is to drive around town?? lol. Rated at 512ft/lbs I think. However the syncros do love it. Shifts are much faster and more smooth into each gear!

g-31f30146-3ad1-4e68-aebe-8eb85915df09-350.jpg

Don't get any clutch plate that does not have a sprung center if its a street driven car. Spoils the driving pleasure, fine for an all track car though.

Mine is street driven....

Don't get any clutch plate that does not have a sprung center if its a street driven car. Spoils the driving pleasure, fine for an all track car though.

Debateable, just like a lighten flywheel. Plus every clutch that has failed before its time was the center springs "keepers" going and the springs going for freedom! (except one)

• 1 month later...

The main reason for the sprung center of the disk is transmission wear. Without dampening, metal slapping on metal wears quickly. Even if it's hardened.

Glad to hear you guys have been happy with my products. I think I'm going to try to bring better aftermarket support to the 240/260/280 market. We already have a big Z31/32/33/34 market base. Including a car with 850rwhp on one of our single disk clutches. Not to mention dozens of 6-700 hp cars.