HybridZ

Supercharged Z Video

kj280z

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

Hey... YES it will be at the convention and YES you can take it for some laps... I'd like to get your opinion of it. I think you're gonna dig it :)

I can't tell ya how many people have emailed me specifically liking the exhaust note which surprised them.

One difference between this setup and a turbo is that the turbo helps to quiet the exhaust. Since the supercharger doesn't have the benefit of having the turbo to quiet it and the blownZ is still moving an equivalent amount of air it's basically real loud...

The 3 inch exhaust and nismo headers sure don't help to quiet it down either. :)

Come on down to Florida before August and check it out!

See ya soon

Ken

Dave...

Hey! I enjoyed the video... I guess those tires were toast after ya finished! :)

Looks like I've reached the limit on the MP62 at 12.3 PSI of boost. It's got good power now that it's tuned and the boost is increased.

Will be doing some more dyno sessions next month.

Ken

joshua' date=' here's a link to my terribly sophomoric video of my z...actually there are a few to check out!

http://www.zccr.net/site/modules.php?set_albumName=album26&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=2[/quote']

DAMN dave! i have seen your car in the flesh (sheetmetal?? :-D ) and for those who haven't, it looks just as good as it sounds...

and a moment of silence for those tires... :cry: ok. moment over.

shoz-my car is in rochester and if you come out this august you can see it run at watkins glen during the 05 convention [http://www.zccaconvention.com]. registration is up and running! the other z is laverne burkharts from the ontario [canada] z club. he's put quite a bit more time and $$$$$$$$$$$ in his z than i have. he realized years ago that the holley projection is actually projunk and replaced that system using an electromotive with 7 fuel injectors [1 for each cyl and 1 ahead of the blower to give it a bit of lube]. i'm certain his car is making quite a bit more power than mine because i'm still running the handicapped projunk fuel mismanagement system that came with the setup when i purchased it back in...91. ken, didn't acutally toast the tires, although in one of the clips you'll see that i stop the car then as the camera rolls again i'm getting back in-then about 5' from the driv rear tire there's a foot long strip of rubber tread which i had to pull off the tire cause it was flapping in the tire well. otherwise they seemed to be in pretty good shape. the wheels came on a parts car that is my avatar.

John,

Thanks for your efforts to fix the video...

Not to beat a dead horse, but your video looks identical to mine when I play them both on my PC, so there's something else going on... Both seem to be the correct speed on mine, but thanks again for your efforts.

Hey Ken,

Nice to see you this weekend. Also, thanks for letting me drive your Z! Wohoo!

The performance is great. Plenty of torque at all RPMs. A seat of the pants comparison to my turbo Z, I'd say you are in the 270-300ft-lb range. Instant boost, and I saw closer to 14psi when I was driving it. Only took it up to 6000RPM or so, but it pulls real hard. No flat spots whatsoever in the powerband. Really feels like a 300HP V8 is under the hood (it sounds like one too). Nice job on the coversion also. Nice machining, welds and configuration. Pretty impressive to run close to 14psi, without intercooling, and fairly agressive timing. Great job!

Pete

Hey Pete,

It was great spending some time with you. I'm glad you came by and enjoyed the car.

Bob Nelson (from 777 Autobody in NJ) also stopped by today and we took it for a "spirited" spin. I think he really liked it to!

It's fun for me to see the results of a lot of hard work being enjoyed by other Z nuts.

The project has surpassed my expectations and I couldn't be happier with the results. It's also very encouraging that other well known and respected Z people have been able to experience the car and enjoy it.

My initial calculations on the boost put the current belt ratio combination at around 13.5 PSI, but initially when I changed to the smaller pulley I was only seeing 12.3 psi of boost. It seems to have settled in at 13.7 PSI with the current pulley combination and you can really feel the difference.

I think at this level I have no desire or need to go any further with the boost. I had initially planned on 12 PSI for this project so the extra "bonus" was a nice surprise.

Let's start working on supercharging that race car of yours!

• 7 months later...

I am still seriously considering it.

I have the materials for the second generation intake manifold (the first one was a proof of concept). The goal is for it to fit under a stock hood and have an intercooler integrated into it.

I have about 15 people who have said they were serious about purchasing a kit... That usually equates to about 10% that were REALLY serious. I figure I would need 15 firm committments to make it worth the effort... So that's the current status...

I will post results of the new manifold once complete.

• 4 weeks later...

I to, appreciate the video. As an owner of a '73 240Z convert. with a 350 SBC and a '78 280Z convert with a stock power plant, I say...when can I sign up for the "kit".

My '78 280Z has the '67 Ferrari 275 NART kit and is begging for something this exotic to power it. Please keep up the good work (on this and SportZ mag.) and let me know when this setup will be on the market. It's been a long time comin' for something "new" in the power plant area, besides turbo charging.

Regardz,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words...

I have around 5 solid orders... I'd need 12 to make it worthwhile to consider a kit...

We'll see... I'd love to produce a kit and allow people choices like this, it just has to be economically feasible...

Once I complete th second generation manifold and test it I'll make a decision...

Ken

Hey...

I'm using an Electromotive Tec2

Lot's of pictures and specs are listed here:

http://www.flzclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42

Another video of the car is located here:

1 warmup lap and 2 hot laps around Gainesville http://flzclub.com/videos/JTautox.wmv

There's also a video of the car at sebring listed there somewhere...

Ken

Ken, After reviewing the video, and the article in the magazine, I find it hard to believe you can't get 12 people to put a deposit down on making this kit? :roll:

Simply amazing, and a real work of art! :2thumbs:

Come on guys, get on the band wagon! You wanted a bolt on system, and here's the perfect solution! :-)

Mike :cool:

I would like to keep the price at $2,600ish which would include the following:

Intake manifold

Supercharger

Pulleys

Throttle cable

Throttle body

Fuel Rail

Tensioner plate

Belt Tensioner

Cold Air Intake

Belt

Throttle cable mount plate

You'd also have to modify your gas pedal (really easy) to accomodate the throttle cable

You'll need an aftermarket fuel injection system... Megasquirt is a good inexpensive solution.

Ken

$2600!?!?!?!

There are guys paying 6k for the same thing on newer cars guys! Even with the cost of a fuel system (most newer car's fuel systems are fine, just need a new or modified ECU) you're still looking at a full system well under 4k, even after programmin/tuning.

Now, I'm broke. But if I was making money I'd send 2k his way for a down payment, but maybe i'm just too friendly.

Seriously though, software companies determine cost by figuring out dev cost and then dividing it among proposed sales. Since we know this kit will probly never reach 1000 sales (although I'd like to see it do that well) he could charge 10k if he wanted, and sell only 10 in his lifetime. To be brutally honest most people will look at 2.6k and say "i can buy and build a L28ET for less" but the realy buyers are people that want a supercharger specifically. And at 2.6k it's dirt cheep.

And the video didn't look sped up to me ;)