HybridZ

280ZX or Z31 coupe?

260DET

For the next road/race project the choice is between these tin top two seaters. Most of the mechanical stuff is interchangeable between the two, a V6 turbo ~500rwhp engine for either. Probably a VG33 with a five speed.

Other than the first series Z31, I like the look of both of them, important when you get to the stage of 'why am I doing this' :)

So the choice boils down to which has the stiffer body, no T tops here. They both appear to have a similar structural design, anyone have any experience as to the rigidity or lack of it for either?

I'm biased. I have a '75 and an '83ZXT. Never cared much for the Z31's.

BUT, I remember reading an article comparing an early model against a Z31 in ITS and there were certainly some points made there favoring the Z31.

I personally detest the crummy rear calipers on the 280ZX's, but love the long hood.

I would suspect that it would be easier finding a good condition Z31 for a certain price than the 280ZX, and you wouldn't have to fabricate engine mounts for the V6...

All that said, there are definitely fewer 280ZX's on the road than the 300's, so I am in favor of keeping their presence felt...

Z31 i would go with.. love those cars but not stock looking.

hardtop is the way to go and also looks alot better.

Z31 has alot less chassie flex then the 280zx, not sure on wheel base but i no the Z31 is wider.

VG33! sounds cool :D

mike

Thanks all, its just that the Z31 looks weak around the rear quarter windows compared with the 280ZX coupe, which itself is so much better looking than the 2+2. In Oz only the +2's in both models were officially imported, although there is the odd grey import two seater around.

gaps111-img600x450-11273989650001b9c4%5B1%5D.jpg

Could remove the front bumper for your advantage

mumei.1.jpg

z31club-314c.jpg

z31club-314d.jpg

Hard decision, they booth look good. Im thinking the z31 would be a better chassis tho becuase it is more modern. Z31 has better brakes? Option for more rim selection (either 4 or 5lug), possibly better suspension, more diff selection (if 240sx diffs fit?)... Id think it would be a lighter chassis?

I'd go for the 280ZX, but i'm horribly biased, i own one. I like the look of the ZX, the Z31 looks too 80's for my taste. (flame me now type comment, i know) but the ZX just looks classic by comparison. I'd look at weight more than anything. If you're gonna add a full cage maybe to want a chassis that's lighter to begin. Is is possible to be too stiff for a project? Just a though.

If you're doing a totaly tear down rebuild from the ground up I'd say the probly have the same potential (just an educated guess) since either car would be improved leaps and bounds beyond the stock car.

But i agree that you should just go with what you like.

Totally depends on your finally goals. FWIW the Z31 motor itself can be moded for over 500 HP so that would eliminate having to do a motor transplant. Check the back issues of Sport Z magazine for a 'centerfold' article on this. The Z31 starts out about 300 lbs heavier than the 280ZX so that would be a consideration but it does have a wider track and a better suspension. I think its aerodynamics are a bit better too. The Z31 is probably the least liked of all the Z cars and, as such, is very under rated for what it can be made to do.

I watched the Datsun Alley Z31T run down a GT1 Mustang at the track once. I never had much respect for the Z31 until I saw that. There was an article comparing the 240 to the Z31 with respect to IT racing a couple years back. On paper they look quite different but turns out they were pretty compatible on the track, or so the article said...

From what I've been able to find out the bodies of the two are quite similar in design approach, except for the appearance of course. One source said that basically the body structure of the 280ZX was modified to take the V6 and that was about it. The Z32 of course was almost a complete redesign job.

As to weight, that seems to be a bit of a mystery. The V6 was lighter than the L28, maybe there was just more comfort equipment, anti pollution gear, gadgets and sound proofing in the Z31?

I say go S130, but like everyone else I am biased, I own my second 280zx right now. Plus I always found the Z31 frowned on, plus I never have really liked them, I like to see more of what can be done for the S130. Not enough people play with them, hence reason for curiosity. Of course S130 are frowned on for have a slightly inferior suspension in the rear with the semi-trailing arms, and it curse of acceleration squat. I think the S130 would be a more fun project IMO.

The heart says S130, the head Z31 :)

Apparently the later Californian Z31 has a wider track plus the flared guards on that model look like they will take bigger/wider wheels. I'm thinking 16x10's, would they fit OK?

clearance on the sront of both models is a bit tight with 7's ? larger diameter wil get you a bit more but without flairs I think 8 or 9 will be the max on both up front at least, they both have a good bit of room out back, another advantage to the Z31 is if you get a turbo or an 86-89 model you get 5x4.5 wheels which are a LOT more common

The heart says S130' date=' the head Z31 :)

Apparently the later Californian Z31 has a wider track plus the flared guards on that model look like they will take bigger/wider wheels. I'm thinking 16x10's, would they fit OK?[/quote']I don't remember the rim widths, but when I sold my Z32, I also sold my rims/tires to a guy with a Z31. They were 245/40-17 front and 275/40-17 rear and fit his car with no problems.