HybridZ

Almost lost my Z !!!

I have the Arizona Race Brakes front and rear disk conversion with the line lock for the rear brakes; a "replacement" for the lack of handbrake in the kit. Last Saturday I took a spin in the Z and then came home and parked it in my driveway nose to the garage door. I went inside and about two hours later I hear commotion outside on my street. There are cars stopped, people walking around and traffic honking. I looked out and figured there was an accident. Then I saw a hot chick get out of one of the cars and start walking to my front door. I opened the door and my heart jumped about six feet over my head! My Z was sitting on the double yellow line of a two lane rural road blocking traffic in both directions. Apparently the line-lock bled pressure and even though the car was in gear, it slowly rolled back out of my driveway and into the street. I am SOOOOOO lucky it didn't get hit and nobody got hurt. I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER trust a line lock again.

Counting my blessings still. A week later.

That could have been real bad. What gear did you have it in. I have never had my car roll in gear and that's all I use unless cooling the a/c before I get in in the summer then I'll use the linelock.

I had my pickup in reverse at the top of a steep driveway and it rolled down into the street just like cyrus's car. Very similar situation, actually. I didn't think it would roll because it was at the top so it wasn't nearly as steep there. Came home from work for lunch, parked and jumped out of the truck and locked it. About 15 minutes later I hear all these car horns blaring, look out the window and my truck was in the middle of the street blocking both lanes. Putting a car in gear doesn't always work...

I have had this same nightmare in the back of my mind. There are some options out there for us guys using "racing" brakes on our cars. I was planning on buying some nice aluminum wheel chocks or even some plain black rubber chocks on ebay. They're relatively cheap.

Here is another alternative worth thinking about:

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/index.html

A new HiPo caliper that can be controlled by a hand brake cable and will still work with out AZC 12.2" vented rotors. They're not cheap, but then again lawsuits and insurance rates aren't either. :shock:

I'm happy to hear no one was hurt or property damaged. This incident made me want to do something about about this. I'm calling precision brakes!

jaime

Guest Phil1934

My old pickup had no parking brake so I carried a chock. I was adept at firing it up and moving forward enough to lean out and scoop it up. I loaned the truck to my dad to go to the rental shop. He tried the scoop and fell out! Fortunately the truck stopped at the opposite side of the lot without hitting anything. I fixed the p. brake after that.

I just don't see a car rolling if in first gear unless on a 45% incline. The P brake on my truck never worked, I ended up removing the cable when I shortend the wheel base. I used 1st gear for a P brake the entire time I've owned it, about 7 years. It never once rolled, on the street, rockcrawling, anywere. This wasn't a light 2500 lb Z. It weighed 4300 lbs the last time it was on the scale. Only a 3.0 V6 so there isn't alot of motor holding it.