HybridZ

Garage heater ?s

JMortensen

Need garage heater. Must have garage heater. More importantly need advice from you all about garage heaters.

I was looking at the Mr Buddy heater. Propane, good BTUs, safe for inside a garage supposedly. I'm a little nervous about using flame to heat the garage as it is full of flammable stuff, but I think this might be the way to go.

Alternatively there are space heaters. We have a couple in the house and they are setting off the circuit breakers quite a bit. Since I have a detached garage I'd have to go all the way across the yard to flip the switch on a broken circuit, and that would be annoying.

I have lots of bare exposed metal on the car right now. This is going to sound weird, but if I heat the garage to say 60º then it falls back to 30º is there a possibility that the air in the garage might go right past the dew point and get everything wet on the inside? I don't know or not, but it was a (probably irrational) fear that I had.

So questions:

1. Propane or space heater or ???

2. CO poisoning a big issue? I think most of the heaters have a CO safety shutoff. Can they be trusted?

3. Is this going to make the car rust faster?

4. Anyone suggest anything better for a garage heater with minimal space (600 ft sq) and no gas plumbed to it?

Thanks guys.

I used one of the dual burner units that attaches to the top of a propane tank last winter for the first time. It heated my garage (about 625sq. ft.) quite well. I liked the duals because you could run one or both. If running propane CRACK THE GARAGE DOOR, propane is heavier than air and it has to vent or the fumes WILL make you sick, as I almost found out the hard way. But if you can afford it an electric heater fan forced or radiant would be ideal, just be prepared for the electric bill based on size of unit and amount of use.

Jon, I put one of these in my 24x24 garage last fall and love it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=595&R=595

Hung if from the ceiling in the middle of the garage, easily will bring the temp up to 70 degrees on a 30 degree day (garage is insulated, but the doors are not insulated) and doesn't require and running for fuel....

The concrete floor stays cold, but all in all, it's quite comfortable to work out there. It takes the same amount of time, and possibly a little less than most of the propane/kero heaters that sell for a like amount.

If I ever increase my storage capacity and get more room to work, I plan on adding another one, then have one for each bay of the shop.

I really like kerosene - the catalyzed flame type, not the blower type. They burn clean and quite, put out a lot of heat, and are pretty safe as long as you don't do something stupid. Unfortunately they don't put out as much heat as the blower-type burners, but I have two in my garage that heat the place up nicely, and a gallon of kerosene in each will last twenty hours or so. They are kind of expensive, and kerosene prices this year have gone through the roof, but they are nice to use.

I had a blower-type propane unit. open the door if you use one, just like it says in the above post. especially if you are working under a car! I really found the noise to be annoying, but a garage is rarely a quit place, you just have to turn the music up more.

That looks nice 2manyZs and I appreciate the response. Too bad I don't have 220 in the garage.

I actually bought a big ol propane heater from Harbor Freight last year like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45602, but then I realized that it needed a 20 gal propane tank outside and plumbing through the garage wall, so I returned it.

I guess I should have mentioned that this is a rental house, so I don't want to do any permanent mods to the house for the heater, so it's pretty much going to be space heater or smaller propane tank style.

If you are worried about the moisture, get a kerosene type heater.. a torpedo style heater will heat up the garage pretty quick, like the on 240ztt posted... and many of them have a thermostat on the unit.

Propane will add moisture to the air. Kerosene will burn dry.

I've got an electric heater, a propane heater and a kerosene heater... I like the electric for the lack of fumes, but it isn't big enough. The Other two will heat the whole garage, but the fumes are a huge issue... Money is tight right now or I'd have had an HVAC system installed, as my brother inlaw is an HVAC contractor. I can get electric heat and AC installed in my garage for about $1500.

Mike

That looks nice 2manyZs and I appreciate the response. Too bad I don't have 220 in the garage.

I actually bought a big ol propane heater from Harbor Freight last year like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45602' date=' but then I realized that it needed a 20 gal propane tank outside and plumbing through the garage wall, so I returned it.

I guess I should have mentioned that this is a rental house, so I don't want to do any permanent mods to the house for the heater, so it's pretty much going to be space heater or smaller propane tank style.[/quote']

I bought this Mr. heater: http://www.mrheater.com/productdetail.asp?id=696&cid=148 which in the instructions said the same thing; that I needed a 20 gal tank, but I've been running it on a 20 pound portable tank with no problems. You simply need to buy a low pressure regulator, 1/2 way down on this page: http://www.mrheater.com/seriesdetail.asp?id=159&cid=0

I like that one better than the forced air models, which I also have in propane. The air doesn't seem to be as heavy when running it. I still use the forced air unit to help get the garage warm initially. I ran 8" flexible aluminum ducting from a window to the heater inlet for a fresh air supply and this helped greatly. Also, the propane seems to be a little better than kerosene with the fumes.

I do not keep the garage door partially open, but I do open and close the door intially. Plus the ceiling is a bit drafty so I think that helps. I don't any problems with getting sick, headaches, etc.

My personal opinion is most of these heaters are bandaids at best and potential for serious damage at worst. I picked up a used 65k btu forced air furnace for $100 and plumbed NG out to the garage. Another $100 invested in those flexible vent hoses, vents and exhaust piping. The plumbing was done on-the-fly but professional none the less. With insulation only in the walls and an open ceiling it will run you out if set too high. I usually keep it down at 50 (lowest setting) all winter. That keeps the moisture out and provides quicker warm-up times. The downside is cost of NG but I suspect it isn't any higher than buying gallons of kerosene or running an electric heater.

For a rental with no natural gas a portable propane heater is probably your best bet. Wal-Mart sells the things that hook right on top of a gas grill tank. They are cheap and kick out some BTU's, but not so many BTU's that they need to be vented.

Keep in mind that too big of a gas or kerosene heater and it will have to be vented to be safe. Not hard to do actually. Many gas heaters only need a single, plate sized hole in a side wall. In fact, maybe you could buy a gas fireplace that has a single side vent, run it off propane then take the whole rig with you should you move. Would fit against a side wall and not take up too much space.

Woodstoves are probably the cheapest option. And that is something that could be run unattended. Any of the portable heaters should be shut down when you are not at home. Never leave a propane tank in a garage. The valves can leak and blow up the garage. Happens all the time.

Electric heat is pretty expensive to run, especially in a poorly sealed garage like mine.

If you owned the place and had natural gas, then getting a used furnace or heater is a viable option. Just keep in mind if you rig your own gas lines you could be in serious trouble with your insurance company should anything happen. In most states there is no legal way for you to run your own gas lines and plumbers charge ridiculous prices to do it legally.

Hmm. The Big Buddy is looking better and better... http://www.mrheater.com/productdetail.asp?id=784

Preith almost had me convinced on the bigger one, but that requires hoses to be run, and I think you make a good point about leaking propane in the garage...

The nice thing about the Mr. Buddy and Big Buddy as I understand it is that they use the porcelain burner which gets super friggin hot and is supposed to put off less HCs than the cheapy Wal Mart style. At least that's what I've heard.

The Big Buddy is 18000 BTUs and Preith's setup is 22000, so not a huge difference there. I suppose the other thing is that I'll constantly be going through small propane bottles. Then there are many vent holes in the top of the garage walls under the eves, so I suppose I could run a 20 lb tank then just use a flexible hose and keep the cylinder outside.

Big Buddy ~$130, Garage heater model ~$250... still thinking but you guys are definitely helping a lot.

Hmm. The Big Buddy is looking better and better... http://www.mrheater.com/productdetail.asp?id=784

Preith almost had me convinced on the bigger one' date=' but that requires hoses to be run, and I think you make a good point about leaking propane in the garage... [/quote']

I installed rigid piping, but technically you could get away a pipe adapter. The regulator came with 12' of hose with a 3/8 AN coupler on it. All you'd need to do is buy a 1/2 pipe to 3/8 adapter, and maybe insulate the rubber hose from the heat.

I suppose the other thing is that I'll constantly be going through small propane bottles.

You can buy an adapter to enable to refill the small portables off a 20 pounder or similar to. I see them for sale occasionally.

EDIT: I've also been itching to build something like this: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html

I have a powerstroke diesel which uses over 3 gallons of oil at a change, I'd love to put it to some use!

I have a small split system heat pump in my garage. 24 X 24 with 11' ceiling.

110V, pulls only about 10 amps and actually does a decent job. I also have a 15000 BTU Mr Buddy for the real cold days. The AC is good and the heat is average, but it takes the chill off. What do you expect from a heat pump...

Here's where I got mine, cost about 400 and about 120 to ship. Installed in a couple of hours and I wish I had done it years ago!!!

http://www.genieac.com/MINISPLITSALL.htm

Jon,

I actually use a Big Buddy in my garage and am pretty happy with it. My garage is very big so I move it around as I change location while working on the car. I would suggest getting the adapter to use the 5lb or 20lb propane tank rather than the small bottles. I go through a pair of bottles in about a week so they go pretty fast. Also think seriously about getting a DC adapter to use instead of batteries for the fan (you really want the fan to work). Also you'll want to make sure there are no drafts where you place the heater as the pilot is fairly easy to blow out, mine gets blown out everytime I move it while it's lit. Other than these small issues I've been pretty happy with mine and would recommend one for use in a garage, just make sure to have some ventilation as there are some fumes it puts out.

Wheelman

I am using a wood stove in my garage. The smoke can be piped out through an open window. I open the window and fill the space with heat sheilding and the stove pipe sits in the middle of the sheilding. The heat produced is dry so condensation is less of a problem, even when it is real cold out (Montana). I actually add humidity to the air in my garage. The stove is small too, like the garage, and does a good job of heating. I have the stove very close to the floor, about 3" off. The top of the stove is only 2' off the ground so the heat starts low. I also use a slow moving fan to help circulate the heat.